Motorcycle hitch carrier/towing | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle hitch carrier/towing

alangolding25

Site Supporter
So I have been looking into getting a hitch carrier for my 08 Ford Escape 4x4. I have a 09 Bandit 1250SA (about 500pounds)

I have got mixed feedback. Some saying ill never be able to use a hitch carrier with that bike on that SUV. Some saying you can most certainly do so with a class 3 or class 4 hitch and a 600 pound capacity hitch carrier.
I know it will be difficult to find someone with actual experience on the combination of vehicles above but if anyone has any other actual experience with hitch carriers on an SUV Id much appreciated any info.

If that is not possible Im looking at a bike trailer, but they are a lot more expensive and bulky than the hitch carriers.

Any info or suggestions on this topic is more than appreciated.

Cheers
Alan

So I have been looking into getting a hitch carrier for my 08 Ford Escape 4x4. I have a 09 Bandit 1250SA (about 500pounds)

I have got mixed feedback. Some saying ill never be able to use a hitch carrier with that bike on that SUV. Some saying you can most certainly do so with a class 3 or class 4 hitch and a 600 pound capacity hitch carrier.
I know it will be difficult to find someone with actual experience on the combination of vehicles above but if anyone has any other actual experience with hitch carriers on an SUV Id much appreciated any info.

If that is not possible Im looking at a bike trailer, but they are a lot more expensive and bulky than the hitch carriers.

Any info or suggestions on this topic is more than appreciated.

Cheers
Alan

can you actually have a Class III or higher on the Escape? I ask, because I had a Mazda Tribute, which essentially is the same frame and it only supported a class II hitch. That bazooka of a muffler on the GSXF /Bandit series wheighs a ton too ;-)

Mind you, there are some threads here with a hitch mounts for bikes on the ear of mini-vans.. There was a discussion here last year about hitch mounts.. not sure if you can find it?

this could also work..

2vhvt3n.jpg

Last edited:
Yes I looked into the hitch side of things you can get a class 3 hitch for a 05-15 Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute
Yes it does weight a ton haha

Yes I seen a few them that you have in the pic there I dont know anything about them or the prices. But would certainly be open to getting one , just a matter of what best suits within a $1000 budget

Ill try look for the forum that you said was here last year. Cheers for the response much appreciated.

I haven't heard of people having problems with hitch mount carriers, but I still don't trust them. They put incredible forces on the hitch and vehicle that they are not designed to take (namely huge torque, a trailer puts very little torque into the hitch) and blocks your tail lights.

Check out the harbour freight trailers and wheel chocks, they easily fit in your $1000 budget (probably half of that).

I'd bite the bullet and look at a used open trailer. That's a lot of extra weight for a hitch. Plus the trailer can be a useful tool for other stuff.

Yeah greyghost thats my worry! I dont see how that can be good for the SUv to have that weight on a hitch pulling down on the rear axle.
Thats why im hoping there is someone with actual experience with them.

I checked out the harbor freight site. A lot of good parts there but I could not find a complete solution (off the shelf) , I seen lots of standalone chocks etc but nothing that was a complete solution.

Cheers for the response

yeah meme it might have to be that! On Kijiji checking out trailers.

I've seen these before and they look like a good idea for a small(ish) car / SUV. Definitely don't take up a lot of space.

Any negatives that you guys know of for this? I heard that it's no good to have the rear wheel turning on a bike with the bike off....but I don't know enough to know better.

I've seen these before and they look like a good idea for a small(ish) car / SUV. Definitely don't take up a lot of space.

Any negatives that you guys know of for this? I heard that it's no good to have the rear wheel turning on a bike with the bike off....but I don't know enough to know better.

I don't think that would be a good idea unless you took the chain off the bike. I would hate to see a bump knock it into gear at 100km/hr

The bike is obviously in for the winter. The standup trailer is a good feature for sure, the second one is good value but I think I know someone who has a lot of inside storage I could store it there for the winter.
Will wait for responses on the trailers to see.

Yes mimico that is why I like it, its not bulky, easily storable, but again I would like to hear from someone who has actual experience with those solutions. Not sure about the back wheel rolling if its bad or not either.
Cheers for the input

I transported a V Strom on a dirt bike carrier from Brampton to Pickering with a 2000 2 door Blazer. I would not do it again, got home safe, but even on that size of a suv, it did not feel secure. Most of the hitch carriers are limited to no more than 400 lb for good reason. I will still use it on my Forester for rollers or incomplete projects.
The thing with a trailer is that they are tough to store, maybe just rent from UHaul whenever you need, 20.00 a day.

I don't think that would be a good idea unless you took the chain off the bike. I would hate to see a bump knock it into gear at 100km/hr

How about pulling in the clutch and having it keep pulled in during the ride? Some type of clamp?

Sorry I'm just not sure if that's a viable option or not.

How about pulling in the clutch and having it keep pulled in during the ride? Some type of clamp?

Sorry I'm just not sure if that's a viable option or not.

Even securing the clutch would still make me wary. Having the gears and bearings turning that speed without proper lube could do some damage. It depends on your lubrication system I guess. If it is a splash only type, it may be ok, if the oil is stored in the frame or swing arm I wouldn't do it without the chain removed.

I made one took about two hours, it weighs about 75lbs bike is 420, hitch is good for 600. its been on there for a three hour trip up north and all was good.pretty simple to make if you have a chop saw and a decent welding machine. Its just 1 1/2x1/4 angle with 1"hss square tubing, and some 2" hss square tubing for the receiver.rsz_img-20140412-00040.jpg

Last edited:
Hitch is good for 600 lbs of tongue weight- at the ball.
Leverage is a massive force.
The carrier sits alot farther away from the hitch than the ball would, thus giving the load (The bike's mass) a much greater mechanical advantage......greatly increasing the chance of your bike ending up on the highway and the truck's hitch being broken.
Trailers are a good idea for a number of reasons.

I have driven all across the US with a hitch carrier 1000's of KM's, and an SS on the back. They weigh about the same. 450-500lbs. My vehicle has a class 4 hitch on the back. There are times I slowed for really messed up roads, but I've gone over bumps and all the regular road irregularities. Nothing ever happened. EVER. Except I got to ride my bike in a new place without riding it there.

For all the talk of failure. I have yet to EVER see or hear about one. I even tried searching for ANYONE who had a failure on google, and I can't find one. I guess take everything with a grain of salt, but I have done it. Never had 1 issue. Mind you I followed the instructions, and made sure all was according to capacity. For more than one bike I do have a regular trailer as well. If I had to pick just one, it would be the carrier. Just because it takes up almost no space, and it does what I need it for.

There are multiple threads about this on this site.. Good luck on your choice!

I have a hitch mount carrier. I have a 3/4 ton ram 2500hd. I would not put 600 lbs on the back of your escape. Try an experiment, open rear hatch, have three two hundred pound guys sit on the rear bumper, observe the rear suspension. Now move that 600lbs three feet further from the axle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom