Rider Refresher course for defensive riding skills? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rider Refresher course for defensive riding skills?

SpeedRacer

As I've bought a bike again I've started to get excited!! At the bike show this week I saw a bunch of bike training booths and watched the golden helmet demo which got me thinking about how I can be proactive in ensuring I've covered my basis in terms of riding as safe as I can out there. Every year I seem to get at least a couple hours riding (usually a rental or borrowing from a friend) so I'm not overly concerned about bike handling skills (albeit I'll still probably grab some pylons and head out to a parking lot come spring anyway to do some emergency moves) but I am wondering if I've forgotten anything important regarding defensive riding. At the show I asked about a course that focuses on road safety skills from an avoidance/awareness perspective and was advised to do a private one on one session, any other ideas? So far I've looked at the Rrev it refresher course.

Roshan

Last edited:
Aside from courses I would definitely recommend reading 'Proficient Motorcycling' by David L. Hough. I saw it recommended in a reddit thread on /r/motorcycles so I picked it up through Google Play. This is my first riding season so I wanted my head to be in the game and I think this book does a good job of at least giving you real life tips for a lot of different scenarios.

As I've bought a bike again I've started to get excited!! At the bike show this week I saw a bunch of bike training booths and watched the golden helmet demo which got me thinking about how I can be proactive in ensuring I've covered my basis in terms of riding as safe as I can out there. Every year I seem to get at least a couple hours riding (usually a rental or borrowing from a friend) so I'm not overly concerned about bike handling skills (albeit I'll still probably grab some pylons and head out to a parking lot come spring anyway to do some emergency moves) but I am wondering if I've forgotten anything important regarding defensive riding. At the show I asked about a course that focuses on road safety skills from an avoidance/awareness perspective and was advised to do a private one on one session, any other ideas? So far I've looked at the Rrev it refresher course.

Roshan

Hey Roshan,
theres a couple good videos online you can use to help remind you with reminders for Defensive riding - here is one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqQBubilSXU

You can google motorcycle SMIDSY for more on this. SMIDSY stands for "Sorry Mate, I Didnt See You"

Back
Top Bottom