Take some driving lessons, please | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Take some driving lessons, please

I am not talking about the driving test itself. I am saying that all new drivers' should attend mandatory training before they get the "M" license. Something like 21 hours of classroom training (3 days) plus 42 hours (6 days) of in-car lessons.

This would be a provincial requirement, so there would be no way to avoid it - unless they want to get a Manitoba or Quebec drivers license instead.

Just because you teach a person how to scrape a windshield it doesn't mean they're going to do it.

With the exception of heavy trucks on hills, operating four way flashers should cause the car to explode after driving three minutes. If either the car or driver isn't fit for the road get off of it.

Loosely secured loads should have a tether with one end firmly secured to the load and the other end around the driver's neck.

People going for tests away from their home base should be sent to Kapuskasing in February.

This is a problem in Guelph, our MTO is overridden with GTA student drivers doing their testing.

The test drive routes had been documented and instructors were making sure the students could negotiate them.

The City eventually had to pass a bylaw not allowing drivers ed vehicles on certain well known routes because of resident complaints.

This would make a lot of sense. Only problem is the ****** drivers are going out of the GTA (small Rural commuties MTO license office) to pass their license cause they would have no hope of passing it here.

I read somewhere that in a survey 75% of people considered themselves good drivers..we should do a survey here and will likely get similar results. Everyone thinks theyre a good driver. (Myself included)

But what makes a good driver? I think the biggest issue is 'defensive driving' or as i call it indecisive driving

My mother thinks she's a good driver. Trust me. She's far from it. Not a "drag a body for 10km oblivious" bad, but the "can't judge oncoming traffic so I'm gonna sit here till all 5 lanes of traffic when I need just the closest one is clear while everyone is laying on the horn behind me" bad.

Problem is that people who think they are good think they are because they think they are safe drivers. Driving 40 on the highway with 4 ways flashers is not safe, as much as you wanna pat yourself on the back for it.

Low crash involvement - regardless of fault - is obviously one aspect, but also low aggravation factor to other drivers - which itself ought to be a contributing factor in crash involvement.

Good drivers not only don't get in collisions that are their own fault, but they also - mostly - don't get in collisions that are someone else's fault, and not only have minimal road rage but also inspire minimal road rage in others.

If no one else around you can remember "that car" ... the one with you driving it (i.e. for doing something wrong) ... that's good.

I read somewhere that in a survey 75% of people considered themselves good drivers..we should do a survey here and will likely get similar results. Everyone thinks theyre a good driver. (Myself included)

But what makes a good driver? I think the biggest issue is 'defensive driving' or as i call it indecisive driving

This is more of a human nature issue than a driving issue. No one wants admit they need training to improve something. The best drivers are those that acknowledge their faults, are willing to compromise, and take action accordingly (courses, race schools, etc.).

I bet you less than 10% of drivers actually do this.

Took a skid control class that included a refresher on general defensive driving just a couple years ago. Couple years before that I had another defensive driving course as part of orientation at work. Many, many years before that was Young Drivers. That doesn't include the M1 and M2 exit courses. Do I need more? Always looking to improve. Suggestions are welcome. I've been thinking of doing some racing courses both for car and bike.

Since I live in Toronto and commute from the airport every day, I'm generally raging every day at the stupidity on the roads. People seem to have no idea what mirrors or signals are for, those that do signal think it means they get right of way, and people can't even figure out the proper lanes to make turns from. Just yesterday I had a guy honk at me because I drove in front of him when he had to stop for a stop sign (I did not have a stop sign on my lane).

This would make a lot of sense. Only problem is the ****** drivers are going out of the GTA (small Rural commuties MTO license office) to pass their license cause they would have no hope of passing it here.

Also adding to the problem of tough instructors (who are doing their job, admirably for the most part in failing the imported-drivers), are the massive lines and inefficient waiting times. Go figure, a government run operation running inefficiently..

this^^^ grinds my gears. For some reason Toyota Corollas seem the most likely to drive around like this. Do they never look down at the dash and see the big blue light signal....

Blue means I'm da popo, no? I fight highbeams with bi-xenon projectors, but what grinds my gears are the POS shitboxes that have only 1 operating brakelight. Of course, these are the same people that tap the brakes pointlessly, and ride the left lanes..

You have to know what the blue light means, which in turn means reading your cars manual.

No, issue nowadays is that you're seen as a crazed maniac when you honk and flash the morons to tell them they are either blinding people or have no rear lights. You have to be seen as cool and civilized at all times not to be seen as having anger issues.

I dont know how many times ive pulled up next to the person, honked to tell them of no tail lights just to be blatantly ignored as they stare straight ahead.

Dash cam your steed. Purely speculation, but 1-brake-light-bob is also probably dreaming of insurance scams while he slumbers and fantasizes about people rear ending him.
What type of defense do we have for rear-ending someone with one ****en brake light?--probably none but for the industrial sized-astroglide sent express from your insurance company and the Ontario government (who will waste said insurance money on fruitless, behind scheduled, overbudget projects).

Yes, someone ****** in my morning Cheerios.

I've had and been behind people having all of the problems described.

Had a Chevy Venture, which was notorious for a faulty brake light module that was exposed to the elements.
The manufacturer and dealer didn't fix it when it was in for service, I assume because it would cost them, and just break down again.

I've been in the wrong lane.

Have a new car with a four position light switch, that doesn't work the way I'd like.
I accidentally, turned it to the off or parking light? position at night after a stop during a long drive.

Everyone does stupid things, no one is a good driver all the time.
The idea is to try and minimize our own moments, to pull the average down (or is that up?).

Those of us who don't believe in the Bible are excused from the next sentence. :)
Mathew 7-3:5 comes to mind.
Get that plank out of your own eye, before commenting on your neighbour's sliver.

We all know lots of people whom we would consider poor drivers.
There are also plenty who would consider each and every one of us such.
So lets cut through the pride, add ourselves to the list, and then do something to improve.

Last edited:
OPP told me to call them when I see a vehicle on the highway without working brake or tail lights but who wants to go through that trouble? I used to just email them with the plate number and they would forward a message along to the owner but they seemed to get tired of that.

I've also used Road Watch to report it.

If there is a company name on the vehicle I just email the company. So far I've gotten replies from two businesses this month that I've done that with because they were driving without tail lights on at night. If you drive like a jackass I will report you to your employer as well. That doesn't mean speeding (speeding, even highly excessive, does not bother me at all) but if you don't know how your signals work or cut me off you will probably get reported.

I've tried to report taxis for their stupid behaviour but unfortunately the division that deals with taxis in Toronto will not do anything unless you can get the driver's name or taxi license number. The cab number or plate number is apparently of no help to them because they don't know who is driving and supposedly the cab companies do not track who is driving, either. They did seem very eager to do something if I had that information but if you're just behind them in traffic there is no way to get it. Maybe when I take a cab I should pay extra attention to this since the only time I've seen a cab driver signal is when he's about to cut someone off (and even then, it's rare).

Just because you teach a person how to scrape a windshield it doesn't mean they're going to do it.

With the exception of heavy trucks on hills, operating four way flashers should cause the car to explode after driving three minutes. If either the car or driver isn't fit for the road get off of it.

Loosely secured loads should have a tether with one end firmly secured to the load and the other end around the driver's neck.

People going for tests away from their home base should be sent to Kapuskasing in February.

I am going to agree with 3 out of 4 your points (gave me a good laugh); the only one I disagree with is the first point.

I would thoroughly enjoy seeing points number 2, 3 and 4 being implemented; that may get some of these people to change.

As for point number 1 your are correct in your statement but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't teach it and test for it (there is merit). If the individual chooses not to do something that is their decision (fault) after they have been taught the skill/knowledge. I was a Driver Examiner at the MTO over 10 years ago and one of my Supervisors had that attitude about being lenient with drivers. I was aware that I couldn't control how the people would drive after having passed the driving test, but I was going to make damn certain that they knew the rules of driving and how to control their vehicle. It's too bad that Drivetest has the "License Store" mentality; no-one fails at Drivestest for not knowing how to operate the lighting system or HVAC system as that would initiate a complaint and complaints cost money to resolve.

I am going to agree with 3 out of 4 your points (gave me a good laugh); the only one I disagree with is the first point.

I would thoroughly enjoy seeing points number 2, 3 and 4 being implemented; that may get some of these people to change.

As for point number 1 your are correct in your statement but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't teach it and test for it (there is merit). If the individual chooses not to do something that is their decision (fault) after they have been taught the skill/knowledge. I was a Driver Examiner at the MTO over 10 years ago and one of my Supervisors had that attitude about being lenient with drivers. I was aware that I couldn't control how the people would drive after having passed the driving test, but I was going to make damn certain that they knew the rules of driving and how to control their vehicle. It's too bad that Drivetest has the "License Store" mentality; no-one fails at Drivestest for not knowing how to operate the lighting system or HVAC system as that would initiate a complaint and complaints cost money to resolve.

No offense to you but your reply (Emboldened part) scares me. Basically, the person being tested blackmails the government into giving them a license. Keep in mind that these people may cause collisions without being physically involved, maintaining their "Safe" driving record.

In summary the government submits to blackmail and puts bad drivers on the road and the police (Another wing of the government), at the direction of the politicians, only enforce the laws that make high profits (Mainly speeding).

The sad truth is that normal driving isn't seen as a skill or discipline any more. It is more like eating at McDonald's, a way to get you through the day so don't think about it, just stuff it through.

No offense to you but your reply (Emboldened part) scares me. Basically, the person being tested blackmails the government into giving them a license. Keep in mind that these people may cause collisions without being physically involved, maintaining their "Safe" driving record.

In summary the government submits to blackmail and puts bad drivers on the road and the police (Another wing of the government), at the direction of the politicians, only enforce the laws that make high profits (Mainly speeding).

The sad truth is that normal driving isn't seen as a skill or discipline any more. It is more like eating at McDonald's, a way to get you through the day so don't think about it, just stuff it through.

I hope that in due time, more people will have dashcams, and subsequent evidence from dash cams can enable the city to provide stiffer fines. Probably can't suspend anyone without driver ID, but at the very least a stiff penalty for the owner.

I hope that in due time, more people will have dashcams, and subsequent evidence from dash cams can enable the city to provide stiffer fines. Probably can't suspend anyone without driver ID, but at the very least a stiff penalty for the owner.

OMG, we are Big Brother! Here I thought that it was supposed to be the Government.

Back
Top Bottom