Canadian Tire Sales on Tools | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Canadian Tire Sales on Tools

I don't get cheap power tools, but hand tools for garage/mechanics tasks? Hard to beat Canadian Tire sales.

Used for drilling holes in concrete.

I use mastercraft wrenches at home and at work. The fit is decent, they're durable, good warranty, and cheap. I think I'd cry if I dropped my snap-on wrenches 100ft banging off I beams and into a concrete slab.

I use mastercraft wrenches at home and at work. The fit is decent, they're durable, good warranty, and cheap. I think I'd cry if I dropped my snap-on wrenches 100ft banging off I beams and into a concrete slab.

That's a big no no at Nuclear plants.

That's a big no no at Nuclear plants.

Nothing you can do in an elevator shaft wether it's at a nuke plant or not. It doesn't happen often but when it does it makes a hell of a racket and you cringe until it hits the floor.

Has anyone actually used that electric impact gun? I have the best dewalt electric 1/2" impact gun and it is blown out of the water by almost any air gun. The electric one lives at my parents now and is rarely used. Personally I wouldn't spend any money on an electric impact, save the money for compressor/gun.

I carry the 110V M/C 1/2" 7.5A electric impact in my service van. Its heavy and awkward, but on a -20C day working outside it beats the crap out of coercing my compressor to start and feeding all that humidity to my Snap On MG725 (which kills everything, only the IR 2135 can hold a candle to it).

Impact sockets make a substantial difference, worth the investment.

My favorite Mastercraft tool is their Maximum 12V impact driver.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/tools..._source=RatingsAndReviews&utm_content=Default

Bought this a couple of months ago. Good for fasteners up to M10 / what most folks have in their 1/4" socket set. I disassembled a '74 XL350 engine right down to bear bones and was still working off of the same battery. Fantastic for light work (covers etc), excellent for working around mild corrosion / fighting thread adhesive. Batteries hold up well and charge quickly - though will act as stone dead when cold. I keep it in the cab of my service van to fight this issue. FWIW, side by side with the Dewalt they're exactly the same, minus minor changes to the connection for the battery. Clearly made in the same factory.

Last edited:
The mastercraft Maximum stuff is pretty decent for the price. As soon as you go higher its harder to find and starts getting expensive. Aircraft mechs can be total tool snobs. We had a few guys working for us who had 10k in Snap-on tools...too bad they had no idea how to turn em. Snap-on warantee is great, but if you're breaking wrenches and sockets you're doing it wrong. Most tools are "borrowed" or they grew legs. No warantee will let you replace lost tools.

Only thing we went through alot was the ratcheting bit holders, those were worth their weight in gold and Snap-on was worth it there as they would give you anew one when the mechanism wore out.

99% of reasons you need tools, Mastercraft Maximum is more than adequate. Decent compressor, decent airgun, large socket set augmented with a few of the "unique" sockets and you can tackle most jobs no problemo

99% of reasons you need tools, Mastercraft Maximum is more than adequate. Decent compressor, decent airgun, large socket set augmented with a few of the "unique" sockets and you can tackle most jobs no problemo

+1.

Snap On for screwdrivers, ratchets and oddball (specialty hammers, mirrors, magnets, ratcheting screwdrivers, wobble extensions etc). Maximum for the rest (sockets, wrenches, hammers). The warranty on the Maximum stuff is the same as it is on the Snap On truck, except you don't have to chase down Canadian Tire to get a replacement in a pinch.

Nothing wrong with the Mastercraft hand tool stuff and the maximum stuff is a little better. Typical offshore quality, if you want some other options look at Genius tools, Blue-Point, Williams offshore stuff, etc. Hard to beat the crappy tire sale prices.

The old Professional line was even better. The older stuff when they were made by Gray in Canada was even better!

If you want snap-on quality at a lower price look at the Williams USA made tools. Williams is owned by snap-on and made in the same factory, they claim they are different.... lots of testing says the only difference is price...

For power tools they actually tick me off (CT). They change OEM far too often and if it breaks it is usually garbage...you will never get basic parts. On the maximum power tools some years they were lifetime warranty, some not. You have a huge fight for the ones that are-were lifetime unless you have the receipt AND the box, after the fight they will not repair it or replace it, they will give you the lowest sale price. Consider their power tools disposable.

Last edited:
+1.

Snap On for screwdrivers, ratchets and oddball (specialty hammers, mirrors, magnets, ratcheting screwdrivers, wobble extensions etc). Maximum for the rest (sockets, wrenches, hammers). The warranty on the Maximum stuff is the same as it is on the Snap On truck, except you don't have to chase down Canadian Tire to get a replacement in a pinch.
+1 that's what I do too snappy for the important tools rest crappy tire

Nothing wrong with the Mastercraft hand tool stuff and the maximum stuff is a little better. Typical offshore quality, if you want some other options look at Genius tools, Blue-Point, Williams offshore stuff, etc. Hard to beat the crappy tire sale prices.

The old Professional line was even better. The older stuff when they were made by Gray in Canada was even better!

If you want snap-on quality at a lower price look at the Williams USA made tools. Williams is owned by snap-on and made in the same factory, they claim they are different.... lots of testing says the only difference is price...

For power tools they actually tick me off (CT). They change OEM far too often and if it breaks it is usually garbage...you will never get basic parts. On the maximum power tools some years they were lifetime warranty, some not. You have a huge fight for the ones that are-were lifetime unless you have the receipt AND the box, after the fight they will not repair it or replace it, they will give you the lowest sale price. Consider their power tools disposable.

I remember a running fight my brother went through after buying an Ingersoll Rand set of air tools from CT and the air ratchet broke... or die grinder, I don't remember. It wasn't so bad, but the problem was the store changed his receipt (they replace one tool out of the kit with a standalone unit off the shelf) and then one of the other tools broke and suddenly he was unable to prove that he purchased it anymore. Getting the head office involved solved things eventually (as it usually does - highly recommended strategy) but at the very least it was a big waste of time.

Plus the tools turned out to be not so hot I guess

Used for drilling holes in concrete.

yup, have no reason to drill holes in concrete yet.

Inreb's head????

ROFLMAO.GIF

Stick it!!

:p

On another topic, I like the look of some of the tool boxes, mainly that Maximum stainless steel top box.

http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045...est-stainless-steel-36-in-reviews/reviews.htm

I know good quality boxes should be about 18 gauge steel, nice rollers in the shelves, etc. etc. but it's tough to find something reasonably economical. Ideally I'd like to get below $500 bux. I've been keeping an eye out on used items, but generally speaking there is crap on Kijjiji.

Any thoughts on where to get some good quality boxes without breaking the bank? I just need a top box.

On another topic, I like the look of some of the tool boxes, mainly that Maximum stainless steel top box.

http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045...est-stainless-steel-36-in-reviews/reviews.htm

I know good quality boxes should be about 18 gauge steel, nice rollers in the shelves, etc. etc. but it's tough to find something reasonably economical. Ideally I'd like to get below $500 bux. I've been keeping an eye out on used items, but generally speaking there is crap on Kijjiji.

Any thoughts on where to get some good quality boxes without breaking the bank? I just need a top box.

I have mastercrap pro and maximum boxes, never had any problems with them (1/2 price specials).

The Homak ones at Costco don't seem bad. http://www.costco.ca/Homak-–-27-in.-3-piece-Toolbox-Combo.product.100132120.html <$600 for 3 piece box (275 lbs). You could sell what you have now (or the bottom of that set) to get your price down for the top box.

I normally use drawer slides as a quick test of quality, pull a draw out, lean on it (~50 lbs) and push it back in. The cheap boxes will lock up and you have you remove the pressure/lift to get the drawers to move.

+1.

We snap T15 screw drivers here all the time. used to have 3 from snap on and have to chase down the truck when 2 broke. Now we have 4 from CT and its within walking distance from the shop. We snap 3-4 a week some weeks.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-torx-screwdriver-0573318p.html#.VOt1K8s5CM8

Back
Top Bottom