Gingerman Raceway in Michigan - anyone with experience? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gingerman Raceway in Michigan - anyone with experience?

gixxer_fan

Hi Guys,

Looking at various cross boarder tracks and the possibility of planning a road trip this summer. It is about 5hrs from Kitchener and according to their website, they are getting a complete track repave this upcoming June (I have heard some reports of a lot of ruts at moment)

http://www.gingermanraceway.com/about-track-maps.html

Has anyone run here? Is it a decent facility?

Furthermore, I am also considering Grattan as it is 30min closer and a weekend earlier in August.

I am just finding it difficult to find current dates for track days (non race event) locally so I was looking at other options

Thanks

Been to Grattan many times but not since 2003. Very fun track. Same series that I rode in back then also went to Gingerman a couple of times. Good, but Grattan is better :)

Thanks guys - Grattan is a week earlier in August for the sportbiketracktime weekend than Gingerman so may end up looking at that option as well than

The New York Safety Track is another great one south of the border. I haven't been on Gingerman in almost 15 years, when I raced it in a One Lap of America event. It's OK for bikes throughout most of it, but there are a couple of problem areas, the main one being that pit wall is right in your path... don't come off or go wide there. Imagine if you reversed Shannonville, it's a bit like that. A bit of care in that corner and in the toilet bowl, which is a lot like corner 8 at Calabogie, where traffic is coming directly at you from the other side of a loop. I wouldn't want to race it on a bike but I'd probably do a track day there.

Bearing in mind, I was last on it in 2000.

Grattan is great, I really should make an effort to get there this year.

Last edited:
According to the track map it looks like a fair bit of run off coming on to the front straight. Unless I'm missing something?

I don't recall run-off being much of an issue. Bikes will probably use the shorter of the two configurations when running clockwise to minimise speed going into that 90 degree right. Corner 11 is pretty slow.

The New York Safety Track is another great one south of the border. I haven't been on Gingerman in almost 15 years, when I raced it in a One Lap of America event. It's OK for bikes throughout most of it, but there are a couple of problem areas, the main one being that pit wall is right in your path... don't come off or go wide there. Imagine if you reversed Shannonville, it's a bit like that. A bit of care in that corner and in the toilet bowl, which is a lot like corner 8 at Calabogie, where traffic is coming directly at you from the other side of a loop. I wouldn't want to race it on a bike but I'd probably do a track day there.

Bearing in mind, I was last on it in 2000.

Grattan is great, I really should make an effort to get there this year.

I am looking forward to checking out NYST this summer, looks great and fun as well. I sent an email to find out the schedule for this year but it hasn't been released yet. Since you've been there, is it more or less like bogie speed wise?

Here is a video of Taylor Knapp backing his Riders Discount R1 SBK in at Gingerman

[video=youtube;ZXBKdWVyOOw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXBKdWVyOOw[/video]

They have changed the entry to the straight a bit by moving the wall back, by the looks of it. Cameras distort depth a bit, so it's hard to tell for sure. However, it looks just like how I remember it. A really good track layout. I don't think I'd be concerned with going there with that wall as it is today.

I haven't been on NYST, just heard good things from people that have been.

Back
Top Bottom