Has anyone here toured eastern USA? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Has anyone here toured eastern USA?

Chaos

Casually pondering a 2-3 week road trip of the Eastern USA including, but not limited to PA, NY, VT, WV, VA, NC, SC, TN, KY

Has anyone done such a trip? Suggestions? Do you have a map of your route?

Thanks in advance.

I've toured PA, NY, VT, WV, VA, NH, Maine, and MA. There are literally thousands of good roads all throughout there because of the appalachian mountain ranges and all the roads built through them. Heck, even the freeways in a lot of those places are twisty! Have fun!

Casually pondering a 2-3 week road trip of the Eastern USA including, but not limited to PA, NY, VT, WV, VA, NC, SC, TN, KY

Has anyone done such a trip? Suggestions? Do you have a map of your route?

Thanks in advance.

I've toured PA, NY, VT, WV, VA, NH, Maine, and MA. There are literally thousands of good roads all throughout there because of the appalachian mountain ranges and all the roads built through them. Heck, even the freeways in a lot of those places are twisty! Have fun!

Yeah, you can tell by a site like motorcycleroads.us that there are lots of options...too many options... which is why I am posting here!

Not quite that area but Blue Ridge Parkway would be fun for you if you've not done it yet. And still fun if you have!

Blue ridge is beautiful and worth doing to see the sights and experience it but not exciting from a pure riding perspective because you gotta go so slow and there is lots of traffic.

I did those states and much more on my last trip, but I took 7 days for it instead of 2-3 weeks. Lot's of nice roads out there.
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...port-Fall-Colours-and-Twisties-Eastern-States

For a detailed listing of most of the best roads along the Blue Ridge Mountains and in the Smoky's, this ride report has lots in it and all my routes. As many twisty roads as I could squeeze into each day.
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?178018-Ride-Report-Smoky-Mountains

A few years before, I went down to Alabama and Mississippi and took many different roads, including the US219 from top to bottom and then back along the BRP and Skyline from bottom to top. Ride report here with all the routes: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623927

Last edited:
Blue ridge is beautiful and worth doing to see the sights and experience it but not exciting from a pure riding perspective because you gotta go so slow and there is lots of traffic.

If I recall correctly, there are southern sections of the BRP where most riders would be hard pressed to maintain the speed limit, especially near Asheville. The bottom half of it, south of Boone is pretty fun. When I rode it on the weekdays, it wasn't too hard to cover the whole thing in a day and a half because there was no traffic. The hardest part for me was not stopping at all the amazing lookouts along the way.

Not a lot to add to the extensive info.
Blue Ridge past the Skyline Drive can get a boring and there are cops but for all these areas you really need to keep an eye out for deer and for BRP in particular - don't be on it at dusk. Even mid day - have seen a small herd just the other side of a low stone wall - only a quick leap from the roadway.

Accommodation is inexpensive in many areas - booking online if you can is sometimes cheaper than in person.
The US is inexpensive to tour tho that has changed somewhat with the dollar.

I tend to wander rather than plan ( tho I will get a general idea of good roads from sites like this )
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/Pennsylvania_114.html

and then go where the wind blows me. My nav unit takes me to the twistiest roads in any area to always some surprises and then when I get tired I can hit the button for fastest to the next wherever.

I'm interested in this thread as I'm a bit concerned about doing the cross country with the kid in June ...6 days of boring out of 24 to get to and from the mountain areas. ( 3 days each way )
So was considering a similar tour of the east as a viable alternative and the kid loves the twists.

He's diabetic and while it's not been an issue on shorter trips.....might be on a long jaunt and his FZ-08 is not exactly the most comfortable touring machine. My Wee will be the pack mule.
We shall see.

Still June has long riding days so if we can put in a couple of high mileage days to and from .....will be worth it.
Somewhat weather dependent as to where we head...not relishing 30+anywhere. ( sitting in 32+ under a fan just now - enirvating ;( ).

Last edited:
I've done Laconia NH bike week / Maine a few times. One of my faves for a week. Run the lake through Picton, Ferry to St. Vincent, Lake Placid, Burlington Ferry across Lake Champlain, Mt. Washington, Bangor, Bar Harbour, Boothbay Harbour, Portland, Laconia, Bennington VT, Lake George NY.

More time would include an ocean run to Boston and more time in Lake Placid, Bar Harbour & Laconia.

Don't forget New Hampshire - white mountain area - The guys have given you tons of idea's. The best way is open Google up and find the nasty - twisty roads you can find and go do them. I have ridden in probably every state you mention on several occasions and not even come close to hitting all the roads in each state that were good. With a 2 to 3 week time line you should be able to cover a bit of ground.

Don't forget New Hampshire - white mountain area - The guys have given you tons of idea's. The best way is open Google up and find the nasty - twisty roads you can find and go do them. I have ridden in probably every state you mention on several occasions and not even come close to hitting all the roads in each state that were good. With a 2 to 3 week time line you should be able to cover a bit of ground.

Personally, if I had 2-3 weeks, I would go out west. Denver has more beauty and great roads in a 100 mile radius than the whole eastern US combined. If you're ok doing 1000km/day, you can be out there in a boring two days. You can devote the rest of your touring time to absolute riding bliss.

Spending that much time out east would be a shame. The states that you mentioned can be covered across various long weekend trips. I would save them for that

All depends on your capabilities. I've done both but a long weekend to Maine ... maybe without stopping to enjoy some local or unique sites along the way.

Going west, Sturgis then Cody (Bear-tooth pass) is a 3-day jaunt so one week just in getting to and fro not to mention 1/2 your tire life. Definitely a highlight, but if you haven't done the east I wouldn't necessarily say one is better than the other - just different.

I agree with a lot of what is said above. I did Toronto to bar harbor maine and back on a long weekend. Was enjoyable.

The Green Mtns of Vermont are really spectacular.

I agree with a lot of what is said above. I did Toronto to bar harbor maine and back on a long weekend. Was enjoyable.

Wow, ok I'm wrong with my advice. Must be riding style and 50++. It's always taken me the better part of a day to do Placid. Then there's enjoying Placid itself making it a 3 day event. I cannot even fathom a 3 day weekend involving Bar Harbour ... respect for sure!

Cheers.

Has Vermont fixed its roads tho?? last time I was there they were horrid and this winter is not going to help.

Hey Doc. I was in the Green Mountains, Bennington 3 years ago and was perfect conditions. Also ran the VT side of Champlain from Burlington and didn't have a problem. Not sure where/when you where there but cannot say that they had a road issue when I was.

Last edited:
Complaints last year about horrendous frost heaves that I can certainly attest to.I'd have to chase it but too lazy atm :D
Good but hot couple hundred Ks in Australia partly off pavement. 33 but discovered my armoured shirt is the treat.

Back
Top Bottom