Yamaha FJ-09 - New Touring Bike | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Yamaha FJ-09 - New Touring Bike

I Agree 100%, a lot bigger and uglier than expected.

Yah, shame that all the companies are gravitating towards ADV look/ergonomics versus a sport biased touring bike. I know that's where the market is right now, but damn I want some variety in the comfy sport market. Right now it's basically the Ninja 1000, new/old VFR (mostly unchanged since '02), then the land yachts people use for touring, Busa/ZX14/K1300S.

That's pretty much it off the top of my head, while most bike companies have at least one or more ADV style bikes. Yamaha alone has the above mentioned FJ09 and Super Tenere

Reminds me of wagons vs SUV's in the car market.

I think my favorite current bike is BMW's R1200R. Weird that it's more expensive than the S1000R, but it seems to be the perfect non-specialized road bike. Could prolly be used as a light-duty tourer.

Way too much money for this guy though.

I Agree 100%, a lot bigger and uglier than expected.

I kind of agree ... what didn't help that perception is the fact that the unit on the floor had an OEM option shield which was just HUGE ... I mean, it struck me like nothing else. Then I sit on it and just noticed how large and wide the tank angles from the tip of the seat ... I am sure ADV guys will like it though. Not for me, I have to admit though.

Last edited:
I think my favorite current bike is BMW's R1200R. Weird that it's more expensive than the S1000R, but it seems to be the perfect non-specialized road bike. Could prolly be used as a light-duty tourer.

Way too much money for this guy though.

I think the units with a boxer engine attract some premium, also don't forget it's a shaft .... it does have some thinks in the base price the S1000R doesn't. The BMW bike I liked the most, was the R12000RS ... would fit my needs well ... but the OTD price gets in the way quickly ... LOL

Someone mentioned Ninja 1000 .... basically it's the same size, but will be about 3K cheaper. You cannot have some of the options offered on BMW, the Ninja also has chain .... none of which would stop me from getting the Ninja. I like the Ninja quite a bit. There's some used ones as well with low mileage ... 10K with hard cases.

Yah, shame that all the companies are gravitating towards ADV look/ergonomics versus a sport biased touring bike. I know that's where the market is right now, but damn I want some variety in the comfy sport market. Right now it's basically the Ninja 1000, new/old VFR (mostly unchanged since '02), then the land yachts people use for touring, Busa/ZX14/K1300S.

That's pretty much it off the top of my head, while most bike companies have at least one or more ADV style bikes. Yamaha alone has the above mentioned FJ09 and Super Tenere

Reminds me of wagons vs SUV's in the car market.

The are handlebar kits for virtually every sportbike made. How much more variety than every sportbike made do you want?

If you don't like the ADV styling of the FJ (and I don't, either), what's the problem with the FZ? I know the suspension is garbage, but that's fixable. I know it has no windshield, but aftermarket ones are available.

Wouldn't have made a whole lot of sense for Yamaha to make the FJ the same as the FZ ... De-ADV the FJ and you pretty much get an FZ, no?

No, 3 cylinder engine is way better. Saw that on utube.

Last edited:
The BMW bike I liked the most, was the R12000RS ... would fit my needs well ... but the OTD price gets in the way quickly ... LOL

Never heard of it before, sweet looking bike.

The are handlebar kits for virtually every sportbike made. How much more variety than every sportbike made do you want?

My theoretical ideal bike would be a supersport, enlarged maybe 10%, lower pegs, higher bars, stronger subframe to support full set of hard luggage, larger tank/better highway fuel economy for a 350km range. Ninja 1000/VFR are pretty close

If you don't like the ADV styling of the FJ (and I don't, either), what's the problem with the FZ? I know the suspension is garbage, but that's fixable. I know it has no windshield, but aftermarket ones are available.

Wouldn't have made a whole lot of sense for Yamaha to make the FJ the same as the FZ ... De-ADV the FJ and you pretty much get an FZ, no?

I wasn't lambasting Yamaha or others for not making the bike I described, I fully understand and appreciate why they're targeting the ADV look market. You gotta make what people will buy.

FZ09 poses a few touring related problems. The bike is too small overall, you need room to stretch out. The fuel range is way too small. No hard luggage options.

Isn't the FJ09 the same basic bike as the FZ09? I honestly didn't pay attention to the FJ09, but I'm flipping between Google images of both bikes, and they appear to be the same except for minor differences in the seats, and obviously the FJ has the front bodywork and large windshield, and the gas tank is a different shape. Engine, frame, exhaust, footpeg brackets, swingarm, wheels, ride height (judging by swingarm angle and clearance under the exhaust system) all appear exactly the same. Handlebars aren't the same, but their general location (for riding position) appears to be very close.

FJ's seat is significantly higher. Felt like I was sitting on a V-Strom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yamaha's website says 32.1" seat height for the FZ and "33.2 or 33.8" for the FJ.

FJ adjustable seat height.

If there was one bike that i would replace my FZ1 with it would be the FJ09, but it's $2 grand more than the FZ. For ppl that say that an FZ9/FJ09 isn't really a sport tourer that really depends on the rider. For me these bikes feel comfortable to sit on, and I'm far past the age where i want to ride more than 200kms without a break. The FZ09 does have the option for hard luggage, you can put a rear box on it.

Last edited:
I would prolly put the FZ-07's bar on the 09. I don't like the 09's straight-ish handlebar.

No, 3 cylinder engine is way better. Saw that on utube.

I know I'm flogging a horse no-one wants to ride, but ...
FZ09 113hp/63lbs-ft @ 361 lbs
FZ8 105hp/60lbs-ft and 414 lbs

I highly doubt beyond a parking lot one would be even notice the difference, certainly not at speed when touring. Upgrade to the Fazer8 goodies and get wind protection & hard bags. Although at over 6' I do appreciate the taller ergs being offered as of late, the Fazer8 seems to cover most of what I'm hearing as gripes on here.

Disappointing though that they didn't have one at the show. Sadly telling us where they are going with the bike :(.

2cnjxbc.jpg

Last edited:
Disappointing though that they didn't have one at the show. Sadly telling us where they are going with the bike :(.

2014 is the last year for the Fazer8 on the Yamaha Canada web page, there is no 2015 apparently.

I too was turned off by the rakish ADV looks of the FJ-09. I'll stick with my BMW F800GT which I find to be a capable machine for my sport touring needs. Cruise control would be nice though :p

The one at the show was on its center stand.

Bike looks odd in person IMO.

FZ-09's ergos are growing on me, I need to book a demo ride.

Nice, I wish Kawasaki Ninja 1000 was equipped with one, it's a candidate for my next bike alongside Triumph ST and VFR800. It really makes sense for tourers when weight reduction is not a priority any more. Anything practical is good. It would be awesome to see manufacturers increasing/adding some small storage cavities. For example, my old ZZR250 had a little enclosed pocket right at the front that was perfect for a cellphone or change. The space underneath passenger seat could be bigger as well.

All those new Yamahas look a bit weird, bison shaped bodies. The last one I actually rode was an FZ1. I remember liking it aside from the handlebar since I'm more used to clip-ons. The angle wasn't too good for my wrists.

Isn't the FJ09 the same basic bike as the FZ09? I honestly didn't pay attention to the FJ09, but I'm flipping between Google images of both bikes, and they appear to be the same except for minor differences in the seats, and obviously the FJ has the front bodywork and large windshield, and the gas tank is a different shape. Engine, frame, exhaust, footpeg brackets, swingarm, wheels, ride height (judging by swingarm angle and clearance under the exhaust system) all appear exactly the same. Ha.ndlebars aren't the same, but their general location (for riding position) appears to be very close.

Sort of .... I am not buying modern bike at around 10k, where I immediately have to sink more than a grand to fix known flaw. I could but I prefer not to.

Fz09 fixed and with all additions still will be mainly short hop bike without a passenger.... Of which I am going to do probably less and less in exchange for hopefully a bit longer riding days. FJ top fairing makes it a lot more multi dimensional. Naked bike even with a screen is barely a match .... Maybe I am getting older .... LOL

Back
Top Bottom