Yamaha FJ-09 - New Touring Bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

Yamaha FJ-09 - New Touring Bike

mroberto

I just heard about Yamaha's new touring bike - the FJ-09. I think it looks pretty good, and as far it sounds on paper, I think this could be a real winner. My only complaint so far is the lack of cruise control. I think this is a big omission in this segment. They've made the bike ride-by-wire, adding cruise would be simple. What do you guys think of it?

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/details.php?model=4565&group=MC&catId=79

Sadly, I can't post images from my work computer.

Can't wait to see it and sit on it this weekend. Not big on the ADVish styling but it looks like a pretty compelling package otherwise.

I like it. Suspension and fuel maps are fixed (in comparison to FZ09). The only thing I don't like is the price ... LOL ... Once you throw in heated grips, You will be close to 13K. Too much difference when compared to FZ09 .... looks like they sacrificed margin on FZ09 or FZ07 to gain it back on FJ09.

I would not miss cruise control (you can solve it for 30 bucks and it works well), but heated grips should have been standard (I don't like aftermarket, they never last too long and you are stuck with the grips they choose and ugly switches) on such a bike.

This is my next "dream" bike. I own its "cousin" TDM 900 ( and before that the TDM 850) and I can tell you that if it is anything close to them IT IS A WINNER for Yamaha and I hope they sell thousands of them. Now I have to find a way to afford the FJ 09 with hard bags and top case : ).

I like it. Suspension and fuel maps are fixed (in comparison to FZ09). The only thing I don't like is the price ... LOL ... Once you throw in heated grips, You will be close to 13K. Too much difference when compared to FZ09 .... looks like they sacrificed margin on FZ09 or FZ07 to gain it back on FJ09.

I would not miss cruise control (you can solve it for 30 bucks and it works well), but heated grips should have been standard (I don't like aftermarket, they never last too long and you are stuck with the grips they choose and ugly switches) on such a bike.

Where do you get a motorcycle cruise control (not throttle lock) for $30?

You don't ... I said you can "solve it" for 30 bucks and it works pretty good.
Oh I see. You're overpaying for a throttle lock, then. :p

I found them to work OK but not nearly the same as actual cruise control. Especially on my low power bike. It likes to drop from 130 to 100 on hills and then speed up to 160 going back down.

I've had the same experience with my SV650 and throttle locks. I want to do long distance touring and a throttle lock, to me at least, just won't cut it. Having real cruise control would be very nice.

I'm also going to look at the BMW S1000XR but I haven't seen the price on it yet. I have a feeling it'll be between $15k and $18. I rode the S1000R last year, and while it was an amazing bike, the engine just didn't excite me. From what I've heard of this Yamaha engine, it sounds almost perfect - sound, personality and size.

I agree with some other posters though. I think the heated grips should be standard. I also wish the hard cases were standard (at the least the two panniers). Adding in those accessories and the price does start to climb, especially if you start thinking about a new seat, etc.

Still though, the price is pretty good to what I think the BMW is going to be. Granted, the BMW has a lot more bells and whistles (including cruise control) so it'll be interesting to see how they stack up.

Oh I see. You're overpaying for a throttle lock, then. :p

I found them to work OK but not nearly the same as actual cruise control. Especially on my low power bike. It likes to drop from 130 to 100 on hills and then speed up to 160 going back down.

You know how it goes, you get what you pay for ... I have seen the plasticky jokes and would rather pay 10 bucks extra to get the real thing.

You cannot really compare those two devices ... for my purpose the throttle lock will do for the time I need to give my right hand a break. I don't ride to sit on highways for hours and maintain pre-set speed. Constantly on the move ... LOL

You can tour on any bike, but that's no touring bike. It's a standard bike, jack of all trades. The touring moniker is very misleading.

I like it.

I'm also going to look at the BMW S1000XR but I haven't seen the price on it yet. I have a feeling it'll be between $15k and $18. I rode the S1000R last year, and while it was an amazing bike, the engine just didn't excite me. From what I've heard of this Yamaha engine, it sounds almost perfect - sound, personality and size.

S1000R engine didn't excite you??? Well, first time I hear that it left someone disappointed .... I would say don't waste time with the FJ then ... seriously the CP-3 is a great engine, but it's still 3 cylinder 800cc .... the BMW is larger, extra cylinder ... I mean there should be a notable difference. Are you sure you didn't ride the S1000R in some rain mode or something?

You are right about one thing .... the BMW will have a lot more bells and whistles ... ton of option. If you leave them out, which will probably match somewhat the FJ with some options, I'd be shocked if you don't end up being around 20K out the door.

The S1000R with all the gizmos on is not scary at all. I didn't dare turn TC off but WOT made me giggle like a little girl.

The fj9 is a very attractive bike for touring.

S1000R engine didn't excite you??? Well, first time I hear that it left someone disappointed .... I would say don't waste time with the FJ then ... seriously the CP-3 is a great engine, but it's still 3 cylinder 800cc .... the BMW is larger, extra cylinder ... I mean there should be a notable difference. Are you sure you didn't ride the S1000R in some rain mode or something?

You are right about one thing .... the BMW will have a lot more bells and whistles ... ton of option. If you leave them out, which will probably match somewhat the FJ with some options, I'd be shocked if you don't end up being around 20K out the door.

Don't get me wrong! The S1000R felt like an amazing machine. The power was incredible. The handling was great and it felt really planted. It just felt like the engine was too smooth. It felt like the bike lacked character. I'm used to an SV650 which is a v-twin. While I've never considered it to be a rough machine, it feels to me like it has more character than the BMW. The BWM just felt too smooth. It's weird, I know, but I've read several reviews of the bike where the journalists have said the same thing. Even the guy at the dealership where I did the demo said this.

1k on the FZ09 and you fix suspension (if you really have to) and add the saddle and you are good to go sport touring for less than 10k

Of course my opinion is biased

However, with ABS, traction control and an 18 liter tank and what I assume to be the same engine as the FZ09 this bike looks pretty good and is well priced for someone that is looking to commute and sport tour a lot.

Last edited:
I just heard about Yamaha's new touring bike - the FJ-09. I think it looks pretty good, and as far it sounds on paper, I think this could be a real winner. My only complaint so far is the lack of cruise control. I think this is a big omission in this segment. They've made the bike ride-by-wire, adding cruise would be simple. What do you guys think of it?

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/details.php?model=4565&group=MC&catId=79

Sadly, I can't post images from my work computer.

for sure, nice looking bike with some nice specs. Would be my next ride if I was looking for a new one ;-)

I agree with some other posters though. I think the heated grips should be standard. I also wish the hard cases were standard (at the least the two panniers). Adding in those accessories and the price does start to climb, especially if you start thinking about a new seat, etc.

Still though, the price is pretty good to what I think the BMW is going to be. Granted, the BMW has a lot more bells and whistles (including cruise control) so it'll be interesting to see how they stack up.

I'm thinking about both bikes as well.

The S1000XR starts at $17,600 Cdn, and you're up to just under $20,500 with all the option packages. That includes mounts for cases, but not the cases themselves. But the S1000XR is rated for 450 lbs above the wet weight (for rider, passenger & loaded luggage) and can carry 3 bags. Passenger leg room looks reasonable in pics, but I haven't checked it out in person yet.

The FJ-09 is only rated for an extra 400 lbs, and they don't recommend mounting side cases and a tail case. Its either sides or a tail. My wife wasn't too thrilled with the passenger leg room when we sat on one either. This is a shame because I really like the bike. My next bike needs to be more touring focused, and I'm still looking for a light weight (compared to typical touring bikes) and high fun factor, but I must keep my pillion happy! Maybe I'll just wait for the SMT1290!

1k on the FZ09 and you fix suspension (if you really have to) and add the saddle and you are good to go sport touring for less than 10k

Of course my opinion is biased

However, with ABS, traction control and an 18 liter tank and what I assume to be the same engine as the FZ09 this bike looks pretty good and is well priced for someone that is looking to commute and sport tour a lot.

I am not sure 1k cad can fix both ends ... FZ is too one dimensional for me and priced as new. If i'd be buying used I might play .... Eventually Yamaha will have to fix it. They apparently still left 15 model with the same very badly dampened suspension??? Hard to understand that decision .... They will get when they see the sales numbers ... LOL

If I am dishing out for new bike, it would be something like FJ ... If I only could put more than 10k on a bike in a year. I don't feel I don't really need it .....

Back
Top Bottom