fighting a ticket in Hamilton | GTAMotorcycle.com

fighting a ticket in Hamilton

gaihosa

I got a ticket in Hamilton a while back. I just recently received the discloser. In the officer's notes he wrote "73 @ r08.8m". I was wondering if any one knows what r08.8m means?

Could it be one of the mileposts along the route?

Could it be one of the mileposts along the route?

Normally mile markers are either in the form of 235.0 or 235.5 signifying kilometer or half kilometer.

to the OP is it in a sentence or is it just by itself? given that 73 was the speed and it begins with 73 I would suspect it has some significance to the particular officer. Some sort of "short hand" if you will.

Maybe he radared you from 8.8m away?

Maybe he radared you from 8.8m away?

8.8 meters is a pretty specific distance to claim, unless the radar has changed substantially, since I used them they don't provide a readout to the officer as to the distance to the offending vehicle. The officer would be opening up a whole can of worms by stating your vehicle was EXACTLY 8.8 meters from the gun when the reading was obtained, (there is a lag time associated with the gun getting the signal and displaying the speed). So i doubt that is the meaning of this term. Although one could assume the r means radar. Not right lane as suggested above.

Actually his notes are written like this: Hand writing is not the best.

LT1 20-20 T-800 (LT1 20-20 is the truspeed radar used and the manual was sent with the disclosure, not sure what the T-800 is)
Ut016227 (or maybe Ut016229)
(vehicle type)
SB Right Lane (I guess SB being south bound which I was heading)
73 @ r08.8m (at least the 'r' looks to be an 'r' but I may be wrong)
valid GM
No Documents
dry clear, cloudy
Nean (also may be Dean as the side road is dean. Officer's name is not dean. )

Last edited:
Some LTI units actually do provide ranges at the same time of speed measurements. The OP would be able to verify this in the manual they were provided with. 8.8m would lead to the officer measuring a relative speed that would probably be under the speed limit, though. I wonder if the "r" is a shabby "1".

I have no clue what the T-800 is, not coming up with anything

Op when was the ticket issued? Time of day??

If his handwriting is that poor you can request typewritten disclosure of the officers notes.

As far as I know, the LTI 20-20 is a lidar device. It is primarily a stopwatch that measures distance, so it gives out a distance reading ie. 208.8m. It will take many distance measurements in very quick succession and it plots the measurements using the average of least squares to calculate your speed. Police lidar units are typically accurate to within 30cm, and 1km/hr. There may be a spec page in the manual that was disclosed that gives the accuracy of that particular device.

My prediction is that you will be offered a 10 over speed, and they will withdraw the insurance card ticket if you enter a guilty plea. If they've had lots of problems in that area, or if it's a community safety zone, you may not be given such a generous offer.

Good luck!

LTI 20-20 (lidar model)
T 800 (not sure here but could be internal ID of the unit assigned by the department)
Ut016227 (serial # of lidar)
73 @ r08 (speed and range, lidar provides both, and that "r" will actually be a number; 108, 208 or something)
Dean (where on Upper Wellington he was set up or where he actually stopped you)

Actually his notes are written like this: Hand writing is not the best.

LT1 20-20 T-800 (LT1 20-20 is the truspeed radar used and the manual was sent with the disclosure, not sure what the T-800 is)
Ut016227 (or maybe Ut016229)
(vehicle type)
SB Right Lane (I guess SB being south bound which I was heading)
73 @ r08.8m (at least the 'r' looks to be an 'r' but I may be wrong)
valid GM
No Documents
dry clear, cloudy
Nean (also may be Dean as the side road is dean. Officer's name is not dean. )

The ticket was knocked down from 23 over to 15 over. I didn't have my ownership with me also and he only gave me a ticket for no insurance. As for the time, the tickets were given at 3:20 pm. The officer notes have 18:15 which I am not sure if that is a time stamp.

The ticket was knocked down from 23 over to 15 over. I didn't have my ownership with me also and he only gave me a ticket for no insurance. As for the time, the tickets were given at 3:20 pm. The officer notes have 18:15 which I am not sure if that is a time stamp.

Not that it matters now as you have already disposed of the ticket. But the time in the officer's notes and the time the ticket was issued don't match, they aren't even close. 3:20, (ticket issued is 15:20 hours if his notes state 18:15 then that is 6:15 pm so almost a three hour difference). This "may" have gotten the ticket tossed.

Not that it matters now as you have already disposed of the ticket. But the time in the officer's notes and the time the ticket was issued don't match, they aren't even close. 3:20, (ticket issued is 15:20 hours if his notes state 18:15 then that is 6:15 pm so almost a three hour difference). This "may" have gotten the ticket tossed.

Missed something in previous message. The officer had knocked the tickets down when he pulled me over. My trial date is still to happen. Thanks however, I will keep that in mind!

Good luck I would point out the error to the crown at first attendance or just before your trial begins. Just be mindful a conviction is a conviction, (from insurance perspective), doesn't matter to insurance if you are convicted of 23 km over or 15 km over they are both minor tickets. If you go to trial the crown will tell you that they are going for the original speed.

This is a tactic as most people will readily accept the lower speed figuring that it won't be as bad on insurance.

Actually my plan was to deny I got disclosure and push for a retrail. If that fails challenge ge the cops evidence. If that fails plea bargain.

Plan your work, work your plan. The lying part is a good touch.

Back
Top Bottom