Fork rebuild advice | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fork rebuild advice

fastar1

Well-endowed member
Site Supporter
Looking to rebuild my forks for the first time. Any good resources out there that I can use to walk me through it. Any tips?

I have 3-way adjustable forks from a 2008 Street Triple R.

Thanks.

Can you find your factory service manual online anywhere? I only have experience with the Kawi manuals but they are written to a level that anyone with a decent mechanical knowledge can follow them.

Do you have a fork spring compressor? If you plan on removing the cartridges you might need a special tool for that too.

I have the FSM! I didn't even bother to look I just assumed they wouldn't get into details for some reason.

I also checked out the triumph site last night but I forgot why I was there so ended up just browsing the classified section :)

I think I'm getting old.

Thanks a bunch guys!

Might be simpler to ship them out to John at accelerated technologies. http://www.acceltechracing.com/

I disagree. The op wants to do his own and with a little mechanical aptitude, some patience and correct tools and technical info it's what a lot of bikers want to do...work on their own bikes.

I disagree. The op wants to do his own and with a little mechanical aptitude, some patience and correct tools and technical info it's what a lot of bikers want to do...work on their own bikes.
and the satisfaction of getting it done all by you lonesome

Well I doubt I'll be going the DIY route. Too many special tools needed. Spring compressor, long tube holding thing, seal driver, graduated cylinder and/or adjustable suction thingy.

Can't justify it just to satisfy my curiosity and feed my ego. Maybe if I could borrow the tools or sell them after using them, but I don't see a bunch of people lending/selling these things, so it's all on me.

Well I doubt I'll be going the DIY route. Too many special tools needed. Spring compressor, long tube holding thing, seal driver, graduated cylinder and/or adjustable suction thingy.

Can't justify it just to satisfy my curiosity and feed my ego. Maybe if I could borrow the tools or sell them after using them, but I don't see a bunch of people lending/selling these things, so it's all on me.

Those tools you can get for less than $100 off ebay or CanadasMotorcycle and then you can rebuilt your forks as many times as you like forever. For a fork spring compressor I use 2 ratchet straps, might get a compressor soon though

Just be careful DIY'ing the fork rebuild jobs. I invested in RaceTech tools as I rebuild a few sets of forks every year. You have to take your time and do it right for a long lasting fork rebuild job.

Make sure you only use OEM seals or high end double lip oil seals like something from NOK or SKF. Don't nick the seals when you install - there are a ton of little things you need to do to rebuild them right.

If you need a hand I am happy to help.

Kinda why I never bothered. It's easy to substitute tools if you're working on stone age right-side-up damper rod forks, but I see myself rebuilding USD forks maybe a maximum of five times in my life if I actually got the tools

Do it yourself and become the Pro. It's not brain surgery. Sure you might get it wrong the first time or maybe the second time, but you'll know quickly and be able to get it right.

I maintain two race bikes and do the forks after 2 race weekends. Once a year is not enough to have a consistently handling motorcycle. The tools have paid for themselves many times over by now.

To each their own.

Back
Top Bottom