should i go with a liter | GTAMotorcycle.com

should i go with a liter

EaZ8

im riding a 600rr for a few yrs now after sellig the harley...., exhaust, bazzaz, automapper and... and a few other bolt ons, but she still feels slow at times, especially off the line.
i was originally thinking should just do chain and sprockets which i may still do as its only a couple hundred bucks, but i dont think that wont do it for me.

besides ripping to and from work, i primarily try to do longer rides every chance i get (which isnt often but i work too much), some just to and from barrie, trenton, but 2x a year we do a cottage bike weekend up in muskoka area at my cottage this is when we acually get to ride, amazing roads..., and this year may do a 1 work week (9 days)vacation and ride out to PEI or Newfoundlnd, both i dont know we will see what weve got time for. and im not the 1 planning the trip...truthfully i didnt really hear where i agreed to ride out to, just heard week off work and on a bike so i said im in!

so ive been thinking of stepping up to a liter bike, something newer with about 5-10km at most, a year or 2 old... we will see what i find.
what would you guys be looking at and why?
R1
CBR1000rr
GSXR1000 (seems to be the cheapest price for in stock new old inventory)
would love a BMW 1000rr but they seem to be much more money....like a extra 5 grand.

i may not buy anything, and just do the sprockets, re tune and possibly be happier...but we will see...

opinions??
oh any any chance there is a insurance company that gives a heavy discount for having 2 bikes insured? i wont be parting with my 600rr, love the bike.

Go to the track and find out how much fun your 600 really is.

Last year I changed my sprockets on my ZX6R and it made a big difference both on the street and the track. Found out that she was definitely more thirsty though especially at the track.

If you're like me then you're never really satisfied so just go buy the litre bike. I just picked up a 2014 R1. Can't comment on how she rides yet but I'll let you know in spring.

I've taken all three other Japanese bikes out on demo days and I found I really liked both the zx10 and the gsxr1000 over the honda.

I'm biased to the ninjas, I don't know why. There is just a feeling I get when I sit and ride a kawi.

They are all great Bikes and way to much power for the street. But do what your heart desires.

I almost got the BMW but decided to save my money for extra mods. For the street however you may also want to consider Ducati 848, Yamaha FZ9, or bikes between 750-900cc

You'll find insurance will be cheaper than a full on super sport.

I recently switched from Statefarm. Try Thomas Smith at Allstate TSmith@allstate.ca. Tell him Roy sent you. Only TD, Statefarm and Allstate were able to quote me on super sport bikes.

Last edited:
If you need more off the line power you can get a non SS 600 and have more torque but of course you don't want that...

realistically how much faster do you need to go off the line? A tuned 600 is already faster than 90% of the vehicles on the road. With a liter bike you'll be popping wheelies off the line if you gun it too much. I remember on a CBR1000rr I was popping wheelies accelerating out of corners the first time I rode it. Scary at first but fun!!

Why no ZX10 on your list? After the S1000rr its the most beast liter bike, and no there's no multi bike discount

Literbikes are great for being lazy with the shifting on the streets, but there's so much unexploited power in the higher revs and gears that the track (or HTA172) is the only way to explore it.

I like the suggestion above, look for a bike with a more meaty torque curve at lower revs. It'll put more of a smile on your face on the streets.

If you are keeping the 600 and you want TORQUE with off the line power with insurance savings get an SV1000 for a few pennies.

Have you looked at an aprilia tuono v4? A little bit more comfy than an SS for your longer touring rides, and it packs a punch. A sv1000 would also be a nice a choice and cheaper too.

im riding a 600rr for a few yrs now after sellig the harley...., exhaust, bazzaz, automapper and... and a few other bolt ons, but she still feels slow at times, especially off the line.
i was originally thinking should just do chain and sprockets which i may still do as its only a couple hundred bucks, but i dont think that wont do it for me.

besides ripping to and from work, i primarily try to do longer rides every chance i get (which isnt often but i work too much), some just to and from barrie, trenton, but 2x a year we do a cottage bike weekend up in muskoka area at my cottage this is when we acually get to ride, amazing roads..., and this year may do a 1 work week (9 days)vacation and ride out to PEI or Newfoundlnd, both i dont know we will see what weve got time for. and im not the 1 planning the trip...truthfully i didnt really hear where i agreed to ride out to, just heard week off work and on a bike so i said im in!

so ive been thinking of stepping up to a liter bike, something newer with about 5-10km at most, a year or 2 old... we will see what i find.
what would you guys be looking at and why?
R1
CBR1000rr
GSXR1000 (seems to be the cheapest price for in stock new old inventory)
would love a BMW 1000rr but they seem to be much more money....like a extra 5 grand.

i may not buy anything, and just do the sprockets, re tune and possibly be happier...but we will see...

opinions??
oh any any chance there is a insurance company that gives a heavy discount for having 2 bikes insured? i wont be parting with my 600rr, love the bike.
My reaction reading your riding style is you should consider a 1400 like the Busa or ZX-14.

BUSA or ZX14 are great for the street. Comfortable riding position, much more so than an SS. And still have gobs of power to keep your heart pumping.

Only reason I didn't opt for one is I plan to take my bike on the track and they are not as nimble as the litre or middleweight SS bikes.

Check out the naked bikes like the KTM Duke or other suggestions regarding torque.

Also do try the sprocket change considering you don't plan on selling anyway. It may save you a season or two of riding before the big expense of another bike plus insurance.

Nothing has street or internet cred like a litre bike, let's be real. If that ever becomes not important, plenty torque rich bikes out there.

Go to the track and find out how much fun your 600 really is.

Last year I changed my sprockets on my ZX6R and it made a big difference both on the street and the track. Found out that she was definitely more thirsty though especially at the track.

If you're like me then you're never really satisfied so just go buy the litre bike. I just picked up a 2014 R1. Can't comment on how she rides yet but I'll let you know in spring.

I've taken all three other Japanese bikes out on demo days and I found I really liked both the zx10 and the gsxr1000 over the honda.

I'm biased to the ninjas, I don't know why. There is just a feeling I get when I sit and ride a kawi.

They are all great Bikes and way to much power for the street. But do what your heart desires.

I almost got the BMW but decided to save my money for extra mods. For the street however you may also want to consider Ducati 848, Yamaha FZ9, or bikes between 750-900cc

You'll find insurance will be cheaper than a full on super sport.

I recently switched from Statefarm. Try Thomas Smith at Allstate TSmith@allstate.ca. Tell him Roy sent you. Only TD, Statefarm and Allstate were able to quote me on super sport bikes.
as much as i want to do some track days it just never seems to work out. so thats just not going to be a option. when i plan time off its to head out of town, when i finally manage to get a day off work in the summer i just jump on the bike and go wherever i end up, and tend to take the 600rr on dirt roads just to shake things up(and no im not going to get a dual sport)
im actually a big fan of the ninjas, just neglected to type last night. last march i was extremely close to grabbing a new 636 and considered selling the cbr, but i was part way into a expensive winter mod session and decided to avoid it.
trust me i know the 600rr has a ton of power, its like that moment you pass cars on the highway and realize you may be hitting redline but you still have 5 more gears...

If you need more off the line power you can get a non SS 600 and have more torque but of course you don't want that...

Why no ZX10 on your list? After the S1000rr its the most beast liter bike, and no there's no multi bike discount
right now, if i went non SS ide probably grab something completely different and go with another harley.
and yes, ZX10r is on the list.

If you are keeping the 600 and you want TORQUE with off the line power with insurance savings get an SV1000 for a few pennies.
they just dont do it for me.

My reaction reading your riding style is you should consider a 1400 like the Busa or ZX-14.
not really a fan of the 1400 class, and the Busa although im sure its a amazing bike just to me has been ruined with horrible mods and a brutal resale value.
BUSA or ZX14 are great for the street. Comfortable riding position, much more so than an SS. And still have gobs of power to keep your heart pumping.
Check out the naked bikes like the KTM Duke or other suggestions regarding torque.

Also do try the sprocket change considering you don't plan on selling anyway. It may save you a season or two of riding before the big expense of another bike plus insurance.
i dont know how great for street the 1400s will really be, power and comfort sure, but flickability i just dont see being there. as for comfort on the 600rr, ive had no issues on long hauls...ive done 8 ish hr rides with only stops for food and fuel.
if i grab another bike it will probably be a couple months into the season, sometime around may. im probably going to be ordering sprokets very soon. i was going to do it about a week ago but the CND has tanked making buying from the states almost cost more.
going to have to go see the boys at Riders and see what they have got for me.

the duke is also a option.

KTM 1290 Duke or the new 1290 SE might do it for you, also check out the big adventure bikes or Yamaha triples. You will find they all have 95% of the handling of a sport bike and 200% more comfort. Sport bikes make no sense to me anymore for Ontario.

no one needs a 1000cc bike, but they are fun. They are all very good, just depends on what you like. Take a few for a demo, that's about your best bet. Or if you have friends that trust you, that's the fastest route to sample other bikes. As for insurance, you will get very little discount for 2 bikes, which is extemely irrirating. Considering you can only ride one at a time, the probability of the other causing damaged while parked (libaility, since this is the majority of the cost) is low. Just the way it is. One street bike, one track bike is the way to go.

Consider turning the 600rr into a track bike. Going to the track is what you make of it. If you really want to go, you'll make it happen. Only problem is, once you go to the track, riding the street is a lot less fun. On the flip side with no cops, no speedlimits, and no people on cell phones, there is nothing like it. Consider the racer5 course, if your not ready to commit to a track bike yet.

1000cc to commute to work, and the occasional "long" ride to Barrie seems like overkill but it's your money. As for insurance discounts for multiple bikes: no.

Hit up some demo days, not sure if all manufacturers let out a Litre, but I rode a Cbr1000rr on a Honda demo day. The power to weight is ridiculous, but they aren't something my old carcass can ride all day.

no one needs a 1000cc bike, but they are fun. They are all very good, just depends on what you like. Take a few for a demo, that's about your best bet. Or if you have friends that trust you, that's the fastest route to sample other bikes. As for insurance, you will get very little discount for 2 bikes, which is extemely irrirating. Considering you can only ride one at a time, the probability of the other causing damaged while parked (libaility, since this is the majority of the cost) is low. Just the way it is. One street bike, one track bike is the way to go.

Consider turning the 600rr into a track bike. Going to the track is what you make of it. If you really want to go, you'll make it happen. Only problem is, once you go to the track, riding the street is a lot less fun. On the flip side with no cops, no speedlimits, and no people on cell phones, there is nothing like it. Consider the racer5 course, if your not ready to commit to a track bike yet.
agreed, no one needs a 1000cc, just like they dont really need a 600cc SS for street...you also dont need a V8 that puts down 420hp to go around town but i almost bought one of those too...was talked out of it because i have a bike.
ive tried to make time for track. even had a few friends ready to take a course and do a bike rental (like the racer5) last year but it always falls through.
insurance is brutal.... they should insure the rider/driver then add a bit per vehicle for liability, but thats just how it is i guess.
track just isnt going to happen, at least not until i quit my job and take a summer off, which ive been threatening to do the last 2 years.
i know 1 guy with a 1000, im sure he will let me take it out. most my buddies are on 600s or harleys. so its not like im lacking power in comparison to them....i just think i want something new to change things up, and kinda want a bit more power.

1000cc to commute to work, and the occasional "long" ride to Barrie seems like overkill but it's your money. As for insurance discounts for multiple bikes: no.
work is a whopping 15 min ride, but somehow going home at midnight takes a couple hours. i love working afternoons in the summer because when i get off work the roads are empty.
riding to barrie is to get to the better roads to ride on and meet up with some friends... those are usually 500km days then return home the next day, or whenever.
i mean really, riding in GTA sucks... all 3 turns on mississauga road filled with soccer mom vans, school buses and cops, or head to milton (which i tend to do quite a bit) to get a couple better turns and some better scenery, but battle traffic there and back. riding in brampton is like playing frogger, other than that yer just cruising on the highways.
north of cookstown is where roads get better, bad driver seem to go away and traffic thins out.

anyway, im going to do the sprokets on the 600, and try to demo a few 1000s and the nightrod then decide. i know if i dont get 1 this year ill end up doing it next year, so dumping more money into the 600 isnt worthwhile.

Last edited:
How many lives do you have to live? I say just pick a 1000 and pull the trigger! I would pick the duke or the naked bmw 1000

I'm about one season ahead of where you are now. Last season I changed my sprockets and it satisfied me for a bit. I'm very comfortable on my SS riding for long hours as well.

After going to the track the streets don't have the same appeal and I thought I was going to be sensible and buy a naked bike or non SS for the street that would be better for insurance.

Obvious that didn't happen. But the demo days really helped to get a feel for the different options.

I rode all jap bikes except the Yamaha. For some reason they never had the R1 available on their Demo days.

I also watched a lot of YouTube reviews that helped. But at the same time got me interested in stuffing my garage with more bikes than I could ever ride. LOL Who would of thought I'd be curious in a Honda Grom!?!? But I want one now. :)

Good luck with your selection.

Hey I feel left out so I'll suggest going to try riding a gsxr 750. Same size and weight give or take 5 lbs as a 600 and if you change the sprockets it will have a lot more pull. All while keeping insurance down in comparison to a 1000. :dontknow:

I'm about one season ahead of where you are now. Last season I changed my sprockets and it satisfied me for a bit. I'm very comfortable on my SS riding for long hours as well.

After going to the track the streets don't have the same appeal and I thought I was going to be sensible and buy a naked bike or non SS for the street that would be better for insurance.

Obvious that didn't happen. But the demo days really helped to get a feel for the different options.

I rode all jap bikes except the Yamaha. For some reason they never had the R1 available on their Demo days.

I also watched a lot of YouTube reviews that helped. But at the same time got me interested in stuffing my garage with more bikes than I could ever ride. LOL Who would of thought I'd be curious in a Honda Grom!?!? But I want one now. :)

Good luck with your selection.
did you end up getting a liter bike?
im sure all the jap bikes are crazy comparable, and its going to come down to whatever one i like best on whatever day i decide to blow a few grand.
Hey I feel left out so I'll suggest going to try riding a gsxr 750. Same size and weight give or take 5 lbs as a 600 and if you change the sprockets it will have a lot more pull. All while keeping insurance down in comparison to a 1000. :dontknow:
i almost got a 750 last year, but decided not to. i think the insurance savings is like 20 bux a month at best. im only 80 a month on my honda.

i guess another thing that may hold me back a little is the sale of state farm. ya i know they say they are going to honor current policies but thats just until renewal. SF hasnt been profitable so somethings gotta give and i bet its going to be the SS bike rates.
i think my renewal is in april, and if it gets jacked ill be keeping my 600 and looking at harley, completely forget about the 1000cc SS class..and the resale values of them will dump.

Back
Top Bottom