Electrical limits? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Electrical limits?

Iceman

Hey guys, I'm picking up a first gen fz1. Stator output is 365 watts, I want to run a gears genx3 jacket liner and glove liner. Will the charging system handle this? Will it leave me any spare juice? How do I figure out my electrical usage(load on charging system)? Will changing signal, tail light bulbs etc to led type help free up some juice?
Sorry for all the questions, but I've never dealt with this before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Modern bikes are not built with a great excess of charging capacity... and 365 watts is not a lot.
You first need to know how much of a load your additions will add. Read the documentation that came with your jacket and gloves. The spec WILL be in there somewhere.
Yes you can lessen the load by using LED bulbs. If I can remember correctly a 1157 bulb pulls 32 watts. Swap out 5 1157 bulbs with LEDs and you've saved about 100 watts.
Some one with the right equipment AND the requisite knowledge can work out the exact numbers... but there is no simple test.

I can run a gerbing liner and heated grips with my fz1...barely though. Fz1oa website is a good forum, the gen1 gerbil charging system has been discussed frequently.

Well I have the Genx3 jacket liner 70 watts of heat, draws 5.8 amps. The genx3 glove liners produce 24 watts of heat and draw 2 amps together(1amp each).
I'm going to have to research a little more, but it looks like swapping all the bulbs I can for led is a good start.

Edit: I do have the variable dual controller, so I don't have to run liner or gloves on max.

I can run a gerbing liner and heated grips with my fz1...barely though. Fz1oa website is a good forum, the gen1 gerbil charging system has been discussed frequently.

Thanks, will check it out.

Perhaps my favourite part of my GenII is the 560w stator. Heated jacket, pants, socks, gloves, heated grips, GPS, usb charger all on without a sweat.

Perhaps my favourite part of my GenII is the 560w stator. Heated jacket, pants, socks, gloves, heated grips, GPS, usb charger all on without a sweat.

Wow. 560 watts is impressive for a stock stator. I thought my Multistrada was robust at 500 watts. Here's a link to the Powerlet educational page that will help you calculate how much EEC (excess electrical capacity) you have.

http://www.powerlet.com/learningCenter/excessCapacity

1. Put a voltmeter on that bike to make sure its charging.
2. PEAK POWER vs. What it is actually putting it out will be different. At idle / low rpm - it will put out way less power.
3. I'm not sure if the FZ1 - but the R1 has a mosfet style rectifier - which will convert the stators AC power to Batteries DC power much more efficiently.

Back
Top Bottom