18 year old CBR125r insurance? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

18 year old CBR125r insurance?

When I was 16 I wanted a 5L hatch so badly! even now I want to buy a beat up one just to have for a year and live out that dream I had back then. Ended up with a 89 IROC and had to pay $3500/year (back in 2001)... had to sell it for a pickup a short time later since the insurance was too expensive for me and my car audio installer paycheque.

5L? IROC? Are you Italian? LOL, yeah I wanted both, what I got was a Hyundai.

Its a 2011 and babied by a mature rider, I cant find much better, and a 125 cbr seems like a weak little scooter. I'd say 2000 would be near my top end, however im gonna do a driver safety course and be under my parents policy (my dad has been riding clean forever, so sad he sold his MT-01, that thing RIPPED.

Doesnt region play a big effect on insurance rates? I'm in Hamilton.

I don't think you'll be able to get on your dad's policy legally. Usually they assume everyone in the house with a license will be riding every bike, and quote based on the "most expensive" rider. My guess would be when they try and add you, the premium is going to skyrocket. People usually get around this by putting in writing that you'll never be allowed to ride his bike, and his insurance will stay low.

Horrible news, under my dads policy, any bike 250cc and under would be 8000/yr. Which means I cant ride or I have to find someone else to insure me. What do I do?!

Find a different insurer. What are the rates for a big bike? Lol

I thought you were getting a CBR125R? Few companies will insure the ZX Ninjas. They'll all cover Ninja 250, 300, 500, 650. If they say they don't you likely just got someone that thinks every Ninja is a supersport.

Where should I look? I've called around to the big ones and they either don't insure ninjas, or i'm too young or something stupid.

You'll probably need to stick with the 125 at your age. Make sure you talk to everyone to get a quote, and do it over the phone. Online quotes are useless. There is a sticky at the top of the insurance thread with a flow chart, but I'd call them all. If they won't insure you it won't take long to find out, and spending the time on the phone can save hundreds of dollars. At your age, probably thousands.

Prepare for the worst, but don't give up yet.

I was looking at cbr 125, but i heard its so much like a scooter. I guess ill settle if i I have to, I mean they are very cheap. But from my parents broker she said that it doesnt matter what size the bike (under 500) to determine that crazy 8000 quote.

Just gunna throw this out there:

When I was 18 and I just got my license, insurance companies wanted a minimum of $3500 for liability (+ fire and theft) for my 07 cbr125. Dropped to $1900 the following year.
Insurance between a cbr125 and a ninja 250 was a couple bucks more per month but I just didn't have enough money on my budget to spend that extra $1500 on a motorcycle at the time.

Also, when insurance companies give you a quote $6000+, I'd consider that as a big F' off from the insurance company.

4 years later, I'm at $1100 for a ninja 300 abs full coverage.

I'll emphasize this again, contact Paul South (psouth@surnet.net). I am 17 years old and pay $2083 a year for my Yamaha maxim 400 (the emphasis here is on the 400cc) through the policy Paul set up for me. Send him an email with the bike you wish to ride (cbr250) and ask for a quote. It is very possible to own a respectable displacement bike at our age, just have to do your research.

8 grand?!? After you're done peeing (I would be if I was that age) I'd start calling around. That rate is ridiculous. Perhaps look for an insurance broker who can check with multiple companies or check with the guy special k suggested. There's no way for any reason it should cost 8 grand to insure a 250.

I'll emphasize this again, contact Paul South (psouth@surnet.net). I am 17 years old and pay $2083 a year for my Yamaha maxim 400 (the emphasis here is on the 400cc) through the policy Paul set up for me. Send him an email with the bike you wish to ride (cbr250) and ask for a quote. It is very possible to own a respectable displacement bike at our age, just have to do your research.

I messaged him! Hoping for a reasonable quote tomorrow, I want to hope on this mint 2009 ninja with a mgp exhaust for 2000$!!!!!!!

What was your first bike? How much did it initially cost to insure?

I messaged him! Hoping for a reasonable quote tomorrow, I want to hope on this mint 2009 ninja with a mgp exhaust for 2000$!!!!!!!

What was your first bike? How much did it initially cost to insure?
Good, I'm sure you'll be satisfied. I'm still currently riding my first bike. Its a 1983 Yamaha maxim 400, bought it when I was 16 (17 now) and it costs me $2083 to ensure as I mentioned before. Its very reliable for its age, quick enough to keep you entertained but keeps the insurance reasonable. Also having the knowledge to work on these older bikes keeps the cost down.

Also own a 1997 Kawasaki Ninja 500 and a 1983 Suzuki GS650.

Thanks for the referral!

You've never ridden but are already claiming a 125 would be like a scooter? My very first bike was a 50cc road legal dirt bike and it was a ****ing hoot. I loved that thing until some scousers stole the ****er. I have a 1050cc bike now but I'm glad I started on the little bike way back when. You'll be fine with a 125. Every british rider started small, they had to and it hasn't done them any harm, in fact it does a lot of good. Not as many Timmies posers in the UK as there here for example.

i guess it might matter though if you're more concerned about image.

Part of the stupid high rates is you seem to indicate you only have a G1 right now? With no real insurance history (and driving experience), they'll rate you extremely high. That's the part that some people forget -- It isn't so much that some people are 20-23 and you are 18...it's that they have 3-5 years insurance history while you do not, unless I am reading wrong.

The good news is once you do have some history (and have no accidents or tickets), then rates should drop dramatically.

Also, a CBR125R should be fine for any city streets. They can also technically do the 401, but with a top speed around 110-120ish (if i recall from someone telling me), I wouldn't really feel safe. I took my CBR250RA on the 401 the 3 years I had it, and felt ok, but I really wouldn't want anything slower on the highway.

Back
Top Bottom