18 year old CBR125r insurance? | GTAMotorcycle.com

18 year old CBR125r insurance?

Zivo

[SUP]So I have some concerns. I'm looking to purchase a bike this spring, specifically a CBR125r (2007-8 or 2011???) or a Zero XU LSM. My believe is that both bikes are weaker commuter bikes so insurance wouldn't be extremely expensive. I live in Hamilton, have no experience with motorcycles, and am 18 years old. Is it reasonable to think ill be able to get insurance for under 2000$ a year? I've called around about the zero and haven't been able to get an quotes due to it being such a uncommon bike. I won't be able to get around on my own till fall this year (G2) so I desperately need to ride a motorcycle. My dad has been riding since he was my age and hes really experienced with no claims, is there any possibility of being under his policy to reduce my insurance rate?

I'm open to all ideas and advice for my situation and I'd really appreciate any input :)

[/SUP]

my buddy has one hes 24 years old M1 riding 1st time in Canada, rides a CBR125r he pays 125$ month

why does everyone get these tiny cc bikes these days? when I started riding at age 18 (or was it 19) back in 2003ish (really cant remember), I got myseld a early 90's EX500 and it only cost me $1500/year to insure and I bought it for $2000 (then at the end of the year sold it for $2000 and got a CBR900RR).

Is insurance really that retarded these days?

For new riders under 30 yes it is. Times have also changed. Insurance was peanuts when I started in the early 90s. I don't envy the younger generation at all for things like this.

Example, guy at work drives a 2004 a4. He's 20 with no tickets or anything and we live in the sticks. He pays 230ish a month for insurance. When i was 18 I had a 5.0 mustang and paid 800 a year. Quite the contrast.

Op call around to several companies and try obtaining a quote on the cbr. I'm sure you'll find insurance easier out of the two bikes you've selected. Good luck

When i was 18 I had a 5.0 mustang and paid 800 a year. Quite the contrast.

When I was 16 I wanted a 5L hatch so badly! even now I want to buy a beat up one just to have for a year and live out that dream I had back then. Ended up with a 89 IROC and had to pay $3500/year (back in 2001)... had to sell it for a pickup a short time later since the insurance was too expensive for me and my car audio installer paycheque.

Funny enough I've always wanted an iroc ragtop and I did the audio installer thing for a while too. Sorry for the threadjack

I should be careful not to date myself too much :eek:). When I was 18 ,back in 1983, I bought my first bike, 1981 Yamaha RD350LC, you were able to insure them for just six months in those days and the cost of insurance was next to nothing. I sold my Yamaha R1 last year when I picked up a 2013 GSXR 600, I think insurance on my GSXR is very reasonable especially considering it is for a full year (not like I will ride in the winter months) and has full coverage.
I still believe the OP would be better off getting an older bike with more displacement as the cost of insurance may be very close to that of a newer CBR 125.

I still believe the OP would be better off getting an older bike with more displacement as the cost of insurance may be very close to that of a newer CBR 125.

Exactly! but im will to bet they wont because the new beginner bikes look so much better than what was offered when I was 18

Exactly! but im will to bet they wont because the new beginner bikes look so much better than what was offered when I was 18
Amen to that. I learned on an interceptor 500. It was major fully and I hated every minute of it. That said it was a good base to learn on

why does everyone get these tiny cc bikes these days? when I started riding at age 18 (or was it 19) back in 2003ish (really cant remember), I got myseld a early 90's EX500 and it only cost me $1500/year to insure and I bought it for $2000 (then at the end of the year sold it for $2000 and got a CBR900RR).

Yes. When I started on a 650R, 3 months before my 25th birthday, I paid $430/month. It dropped to $140/month when I turned 25. That was when I lived in the boonies outside of Guelph. Would've been almost double in Toronto.

There's no need to start on such a small cc bike in order to keep insurance down. I'm 17 and insure a Yamaha Maxim 400 for $2000 through Aviva.

There's no need to start on such a small cc bike in order to keep insurance down. I'm 17 and insure a Yamaha Maxim 400 for $2000 through Aviva.
From looking up the specs on that bike it isn't much of a step up from a 125. Especially my 2 stroke. Not hating on your bike but that could be why the rates are pretty low. Also, aren't those from the 80s? Antique bikes tend to get better rates.

Last edited:
From looking up the specs on that bike it isn't much of a step up from a 125. Especially my 2 stroke. Not hating on your bike but that could be why the rates are pretty low. Also, aren't those from the 80s? Antique bikes tend to get better rates.
Claimed horsepower is 45 on the 400 vs 14hp on the Cbr125, so there's a significant difference in power there. I didnt realize the other bike you mentioned was a two stroke. The Maxim is from the 80's but I do not have it insured as an "antique/vintage." I suggest you get in touch with Paul South from Surnet, he has very good rates for bikes under 650cc provided you've done a riding course.

Claimed horsepower is 45 on the 400 vs 14hp on the Cbr125, so there's a significant difference in power there. I didnt realize the other bike you mentioned was a two stroke. The Maxim is from the 80's but I do not have it insured as an "antique/vintage." I suggest you get in touch with Paul South from Surnet, he has very good rates for bikes under 650cc provided you've done a riding course.
Sorry I found 27 HP claimed here: http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/yamaha_xs_400_1982.php
Mine is 33 HP (claimed).

Even without antique insurance the companies often class older bikes differently. But yes, that bike would be quite a bit more powerful to start on than a CBR125R.

No worries, that's the detune SOHC European model, the maxim is DOHC. Just to clarify is the is the Zero Xu LSM an electric motorcycle?

Ya it is, i'm totally off that idea though, because of how costly the bike is compared to what i can get with an actual motorcycle. It just blows the zero out of the water. I'm trying to find a good price on a cbr250, is 2500$ a good price for a low km 2011?

Ya it is, i'm totally off that idea though, because of how costly the bike is compared to what i can get with an actual motorcycle. It just blows the zero out of the water. I'm trying to find a good price on a cbr250, is 2500$ a good price for a low km 2011?
Now you've got the right idea, price all depends on the year, milage, condition etc. I would say that for a good condition cbr250 that is fair. May I ask what your budget is for insurance? I just got a quote for my 1997 Kawasaki Ninja 500 (I'm putting it up for sale soon) through aviva and its was $2500 for the year. Mind you I am only 17.

Now you've got the right idea, price all depends on the year, milage, condition etc. I would say that for a good condition cbr250 that is fair. May I ask what your budget is for insurance? I just got a quote for my 1997 Kawasaki Ninja 500 (I'm putting it up for sale soon) through aviva and its was $2500 for the year. Mind you I am only 17.

Its a 2011 and babied by a mature rider, I cant find much better, and a 125 cbr seems like a weak little scooter. I'd say 2000 would be near my top end, however im gonna do a driver safety course and be under my parents policy (my dad has been riding clean forever, so sad he sold his MT-01, that thing RIPPED.

Doesnt region play a big effect on insurance rates? I'm in Hamilton.

Seems like a good a deal as any. Bike prices will start to climb as spring approaches. Being under your dads policy should reduce your rates I would assume. Can't provide you any confirmation cause my dad doesn't ride unfortunately. Man I bet it did! Region does have an affect but how much, I don't know. I'm in Georgetown so a bit more rural than Hamilton. All I can suggest is get a quote before you purchase the bike to avoid any disappointments.

Back
Top Bottom