New riders: should we armour up? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New riders: should we armour up?

The first thing that came to my mind is the Bell Rogue

Corey-Miller-and-Bell-Rogue-Helmet.jpg

No idea.

My guess would be it helps keep stones from chipping your teeth. It might help spread the impact too if you had a slow speed fall and your jaw hit the curb. I don't imagine it's quite as good as a full face. It looks like the mouth piece just straps to the rest of the helmet, so it isn't going to carry any energy into the rest of the helmet - just your face. All this is speculation.

There are dual sport sort of helmets which will protect your chin. Don't wear a shield with them and you will vent a ton of air. Just the same you are going to want some good sport sunglasses or something for your eyes though!

I was linking from GP bikes earlier since they are a Canadian company and around the GTA. Revzilla is an American company but there are a great site to search gear on and their videos are pretty informative to get some info about gear.

This is an example of a dual sport helmet:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-variant-battlescar-helmet

This is a crazy half helmet that seems to have more chin protection:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-rogue-helmet

This should be a video you check out:
http://www.revzilla.com/2015-best-motorcycle-helmets-buyers-guide

Again... The problem here is not you; it is the other drivers. The biggest problem is people turning left at intersections that do not see the motorcycle. Some riders at my work seem to think that wearing a white helmet gets them seen more often because the police wear white motorcycle helmets. Maybe that is as much of a falacy as loud pipes. Who knows?

You strike me as someone who is not going to wear gear if it is too uncomfortable, too restrictive, too cumbersome, or too much of a pain in the *** to wear. At the very least I would recommend a mesh, armoured jacket of some sort, kevlar jeans with knee armor, gloves with good palm protection, some kind of boots and whatever helmet you settle on.

I prefer to wear my motorcycle pants over my kevlar jeans because I find them more comfortable. I remove the thermal and waterproof layers and they vent a crap load of air. Yet, I have some knee and hip armor in them (CE rated). Then what I try to do is wear my seperate knee armor (looks like hockey knee/shin pads) and then I move the integrated knee armor in my pants to the highest position which will give me a little protection just above my knee.

I prefer gauntlet gloves but a lot of people seem to find them too restrictive. These are not the best "shorty" gloves; nor the worst. At least they seem like they would not disintegrate in an off and there is some decent palm protection in the event of a slide:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-celer-gloves

Regular jeans are better than nothing at a parking lot speed off. At 50 km/hr or more they are going to disintergrate pretty quickly and you are going to be in for some nasty skin grafts. Not integrating some kind of plan to protect your legs seems foolhardy to me. At least consider something like a kevlar lined pair of jeans.

I think these are a compromise versus a proper riding pant but these are WAY better than regular jeans and a huge step up from wearing just shorts:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/speed-strength-rage-with-the-machine-jeans

Again... It is your body and your choice. If you check out enough stuff though you can find gear that you can afford, you will wear, and keep yourself safer. If you live near a motorcycle dealer make a point to go and check out some gear.

Yeah first crash I had I'd have no teeth/jaw if I wasn't wearing a full face. Would never ride with anything below a modular, at the least.

For short, stop and go driving in the city under 70kph, I plan to wear a good helmet and gloves. I probably won't wear boots but high-top sneakers which protect the ankles.

If I am going onto the highway, or taking a long trip, it will unreservedly be FULL PROTECTIVE GEAR.

Are there shawties out there which have a removable chin bar?

LOL BTW that Bell Rogue is appalling. You're joking, I hope? :) Maybe if I was protesting at the G-20, I'd wear that…
image.jpg

Also, the dual sports variety are kind of ridiculous too. I almost cracked up when I saw those. Does anyone here remember Star Trek: Deep Space 9? Dual sport helmets are kind of like the helmets the Breen wore. All you would need is a speech inflection device, and you'd have a Halloween costume.
image.jpg

Last edited:

I actually toured around Vietnam on a 100cc Honda Win for 30 days this winter. I never saw a single person in riding gear, most people ride in flip flops as it rains a lot and you dont want your shoes getting soaked. The major difference is that 90% of the vehicles on the road are motorbikes so its a completely different style of riding than here. The top speed in the city is around 30km/h and in the country / hwy it is around 60 km/h so an off would not hurt as bad as it would going at hwy speeds in Canada.

I actually got myself a decent helmet but did not wear any safety gear other than that. I tried really hard to find motorcycle gloves but coudnt find anything. Luckily I never went down but I did meet some people who had road rash. Ye it sucks to get road rash but the risk was 100% worth the amazing experience that I had in that country.

People in Asia are generally not as safety obsessed as they are here... in my opinion this is actually quite refreshing. I saw lots of people riding 4 up, 3 up, animals on the bikes.. lots of big items strapped to bikes... etc. Just because we live here doesnt mean that we know everything and have the right to judge others in the world for their riding habits.

In Canada ill wear Boots/ Jacket/ Jeans most of the time but have gone riding without. Its all about how much risk you are willing to accept. You are the only one that has to live with the consequences.

Last edited:
You are the only one that has to live with the consequences.
If you're single with no kids, the rest of your family is dead, you wipe out in the middle of nowhere where no one ever sees or finds you, and you refuse to use our free medical care or make any insurance claims then yes, this is true.

And I've seen plenty of videos of people getting run over repeatedly on the highway in China and no one stops to help. That doesn't mean you should do the same here because we are "safety obsessed".

Wear what you want. I'd strongly recommend wearing a full-face helmet, and a decent jacket at least.

I wear a lot more, because if I **** up my hands, I am quite screwed at my job. So I wear good gloves too.

LOL BTW that Bell Rogue is appalling. You're joking, I hope? :) Maybe if I was protesting at the G-20, I'd wear that…

Also, the dual sports variety are kind of ridiculous too. I almost cracked up when I saw those. Does anyone here remember Star Trek: Deep Space 9? Dual sport helmets are kind of like the helmets the Breen wore. All you would need is a speech infection device, and you'd have a Halloween costume.

I don't know what to tell you man. That's the only style of minimal helmet with face protection that I know of. Taste is personal.

You're asking for a lot. Minimum size and good protection are on opposite sites of the spectrum, so you'll have to decide where you want to land.

I appreciate all the suggestions, and obvs, I do jest-- to a point. I'll definitely refer back to this thread when it comes time to actually buy something.

Ultimately, it's not really about the outside look of the helmet that I care about, I just want to find one that has the least chance of messing up my hair.

Well, for that I recommend a Hairmet like JD wore on Scrubs.

5x22-Hairmet.jpg

I appreciate all the suggestions, and obvs, I do jest-- to a point. I'll definitely refer back to this thread when it comes time to actually buy something.

Ultimately, it's not really about the outside look of the helmet that I care about, I just want to find one that has the least chance of messing up my hair.

:lmao:

Dude in your pics the peeps don't even have eye protection, quess that means we don't need any, even though its it law here. You're out to lunch.

Eye protection is law here? I did not know that.

Mark2k, I started with a half helmet, and still use it occasionally. I have glasses and found most full face extremely uncomfortable. Then I found an HJC modular, and I love it. The half helmet only comes out for a quick blast to get milk now.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom