New riders: should we armour up? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New riders: should we armour up?

When I was knocked of my bike in August I broke my ankle and hip. If I hadn't been wearing armoured pants I wouldn't have had an ankle to heal as I would have lost my leg at the knee.

My riding pants saved my leg. The knee of the pants were shredded, nothing left and the armoured pad was worn half way through. If I had been wearing just a pair of jeans or non-armoured pants I would have been royally ****ed.

I had no intention of being knocked off my bike last summer but **** happens. It's worth the mild discomfort for the protection.
Sorry to hear, hope you're doing better. I crashed once or twice and I understand exactly what you're talking about.

If you wonder about the "need" for protective gear, put some 80-grit in your belt sander and have a go at your leg for 4 or 5 seconds. If you don't actually want to do that, at least imagine what sliding on asphalt at 50 or 60-kph would be like after your jeans burn through in the first quarter-second.

We've all worked on a bike or a car when a wrench slips and your knuckles ram into a nearby bracket. Now imagine that 2-kph impact being multiplied 30 times when your hands hit the ground as you tumble and roll after a crash.

Motorcycle crashes are nasty and all too often life-altering events. Sliding on asphalt is like taking a belt-sander to your skin. Tumbling can wreak havoc with feet and ankles. Impacts with the ground and other objects at any sort of speed without armour is like getting hit with a baseball bat.

The old saying "Dress for the slide, not the ride" says it all. Gear won't save you in every situation but it can make the difference between shopping for replacement boots or new leathers and facing life-altering injuries.

Seems like a no-brainer to me. YMMV.

My advice would be to search online for some photos and videos of road rash. Whether you wear gear or not is your choice, but you should at least be making an informed decision.

My personal favourite is this one. Yes he's wearing nothing but shorts and a helmet, but normal jeans and t-shirt would have yielded the same result. It doesn't look like much when he goes down, but then he gives you the tour of his body...

RC 51 road rash: http://youtu.be/u0auYp0Xr9A

Wow, what a F*cktard

Do you see people riding all over Vietnam, Taiwan or Thailand on bikes as their only mode of transportation wear gear? If you are the person who is feeling surprised about someone making thread like this, it's your problem not his. You got to understand people from different parts of the world living in Canada, and open up your god damn mindset.

I support wearing gear so don't start a war here.

53949252.jpg

Life is cheap there.

Yes, gear up...

Also, get gear that is comfortable and you will actually wear. For the vast majority of street riding leather is probably best. However, are you going to wear leather pants and jacket on a +30 degree Celcius day? You should but I suspect a lot will be tempted to wear less gear on a really hot day.

My current gear is Olympia Airglide jacket and pants, Icon Alliance helmet, A* SMX-5 boots, and Velocity VR Pro gaunlet gloves. The jacket and pants are great because I can add or remove layers depending on conditions. On the hottest days I can remove the thermal and waterproof layers, open up the vents and have a lot of comfort. This is probably one crash only gear but I am okay with that.

It is your body and what you wear is up to you. I am a fan of full faced helmets and even if I get a cruiser in the future I will continue to wear a full faced helmet.

I used to go to the U.S. all the time when I was a truck driver and I was blown away by how many riders I saw in the wife beaters, shorts, sandals, and no helmet. Not a rare sight in many states.

Do you see people riding all over Vietnam, Taiwan or Thailand on bikes as their only mode of transportation wear gear? If you are the person who is feeling surprised about someone making thread like this, it's your problem not his. You got to understand people from different parts of the world living in Canada, and open up your god damn mindset.

53949252.jpg
1) what suggested he's from another country

2) your argument can be flipped on its head: why are you surprised that we are surprised when this is Canada and not Taiwan. Our norms don't matter I guess?

3) who would have known being shocked about a NEW rider asking whether he should wear gear is being "close minded". What a god damn joke.

I'm from Taiwan.

My father rode some really old Suzuki in Taiwan. He never took any lessons before, only used the rear brake, and crashed multiple times with my mother in Taiwan. I remember crashing once with my grandma on a scooter too. My father has messed up wrist that never fully healed and scars all over his legs from road rash.

We sat down recently for a chat about motorcycles. He finally learned why he kept low siding (rear brake only usage) and the importance of gear. He told me if he knew, he would've rode different in Taiwan and with gear.

The problem with Asian countries is that they are ignorant...and most end up blaming the bike lol

.... I always wear a minimum of the above listed gear in the city, and add full armoured pants and and airbag jacket outside of the city. Don't know if this thread is just someone trolling, but about half the folks on this site will say all riders need gear, and the other half will say the opposite.

I would think more armour is needed in town. More intersections, etc.

I use a mesh textile jacket in the middle of summer. After a few decades, you end up with lots of gear you can tailor to the ride/slide.

Hey all, as the title says... Should new riders get all the protective gear? Pants, gloves, hardcore jacket??? What is the general thought?

"Hey, I'm going to sleep with a prostitute..... should I wear a rubber?"

Answer : Hmmmmmmmm

As for gear, depends who you ask as you can tell. For me I wear helmet, leather jacket (Overlord Prime), full gloves, Jeans (sometimes regular, sometimes kevlar), knee/shin armour and full boots minimum on 99% of my rides. The only addition to my longer than 5 minute quick rides is that I wear Knox armoured shorts for hip and ***** protection. Doesn't matter if its 5C or above 30C. Would rather have it on when I need it.

2) your argument can be flipped on its head: why are you surprised that we are surprised when this is Canada and not Taiwan. Our norms don't matter I guess?

3) who would have known being shocked about a NEW rider asking whether he should wear gear is being "close minded". What a god damn joke.

People like this thats why I put 'I support wearing gear so don't start a war here.'

I am not spending time arguing with you, because you will never get it.

Watch out he'll come at you saying you have no facts. :rolleyes: I'm glad I ignored the closed minded know it all twit. If he can't see a difference between here and an asian country and their norms, that tells you all you need to know about his factual knowledge.

Watch out he'll come at you saying you have no facts. :rolleyes: I'm glad I ignored the closed minded know it all twit. If he can't see a difference between here and an asian country and their norms, that tells you all you need to know about his factual knowledge.

Yeah just looking at his response to me shows how he doesn't want to be able to use reason.

Dude are you this stupid insulting people like this. Looking back I was the one who ignored your response, sorry I did not bother arguing with you, but are you really that bored trying to start a war with me here in another thread? What does really give you, you need people to back you up so you can win over me an argument that was stuck in your mind? I'm so done with you already for gods sake.

Yeah just looking at his response to me shows how he doesn't want to be able to use reason.

That's because there are always two sides, i accept people who have different perspective. Unless it's causing harm to myself or my property, there's no reason for me to spend the time and energy.

Dude in your pics the peeps don't even have eye protection, quess that means we don't need any, even though its it law here. You're out to lunch.

53949252.jpg

You gotta love it! They ride in shorts, sandals, whatever they are wearing. But then wear a face mask so they don't catch cold! Lmao!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You gotta love it! They ride in shorts, sandals, whatever they are wearing. But then wear a face mask so they don't catch cold! Lmao!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably more for air pollution. 2-stroke exhaust plus diesel exhaust is a pretty nasty combo in those places.

What kills me is that mom and dad have helmets but their little one stands on the seat between them with no helmet. WTF?

Probably more for air pollution. 2-stroke exhaust plus diesel exhaust is a pretty nasty combo in those places.

What kills me is that mom and dad have helmets but their little one stands on the seat between them with no helmet. WTF?

Same thing applies at ski resorts. Parents have sunglasses on and the kids nothing. WTF.

Back
Top Bottom