New riders: should we armour up? | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New riders: should we armour up?

Once again, thank you. I plan on going up to Royal Barrie for their no tax sale. Will check out the boots and the pants you recommended.

Hey Joe, you can also check out the Altimate outlet, close to you(keele/Lawrence I think). Decent gear, decent pricing, good selection. Daytona Motorsports also has reasonably priced boots.

Hey Joe, you can also check out the Altimate outlet, close to you(keele/Lawrence I think). Decent gear, decent pricing, good selection. Daytona Motorsports also has reasonably priced boots.

Went to Daytona. Checked out the Streetz boots. Usually take a 9.5-10.5, couldn't get into anything smaller than an 11. Liked the lower style boot as Roomie suggested. I plan on going to Altimate as well. But those are definitely in my price range. Thanks for looking out! ?

Joe, go to your nearest BMW Motorad store. BMW Allround boots, Gore Tex, can walk comfortably, and they don't look power rangerish or storm troopery. About $250.

1.5 foot dropped helmet

Darn, I borrowed a helmet from someone and dropped it onto asphalt from knee level (I was holding it with a bunch of other stuff in the same hand and it slipped out).

The paint chipped off.

does this mean it's done?

Many safety authorities and even helmet companies say that drops such as under 4 feet shouldn't compromise the helmet (HJC uses the 4 foot guideline) but motorcycle instructors said that any drop means it is no longer good.

it seems to me that if the guideline was this strict, people would out there buying new helmets constantly. It also seems to me, that you'd think a $300 piece of equipment would be able to take the odd ding and scratch. I would describe my drop as equivalent to bumping it up against a concrete a concrete wall - enough to visibly damage the outside but I would be very surprised if anything happened on the inside.

What do you think? I already told my friend I'd pay for it if he feels the damage is enough, but he's being pretty relaxed about it based on the scale of the incident. I'm prepared to chalk it up as part of the cost of learning to ride. Annoying and irritating, but oh well.

Re: 1.5 foot dropped helmet

Buy him a new helmet or pay what it's worth and keep this one for yourself. The helmet hasn't lost it's safety ability...your head wasn't in it compacting the foam. It has lost it's "sheen" as it were. Course it also depends on how old it is, etc.

I would agree. The good thing to do would be to replace it for him since you did the damage, but the helmet is not a write off. One of the biggest myths in motorcycling that a dropped helmet always needs to be replaced.

6:55

[video=youtube;Ovd3KGu6BgU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovd3KGu6BgU&t=6m55s[/video]

Yup, if you borrow a helmet from a friend and damage it, you should replace it for them.

I would agree. The good thing to do would be to replace it for him since you did the damage, but the helmet is not a write off. One of the biggest myths in motorcycling that a dropped helmet always needs to be replaced.

6:55

[video=youtube;Ovd3KGu6BgU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovd3KGu6BgU&t=6m55s[/video]

Good video! recently downsized helmet size too in the recent years.

This thread is still going? Wear gear!
Or not... Your choice.

But you should wear gear if you're a new rider if you are thinking "should I wear gear as a new rider?"

Agreed. Everyone "should" wear gear.

went ATGATT yesterday just to work and back, but i did take the really long way back home... around the city.

power ranger mode: ON

went atgatt yesterday just to work and back, but i did take the really long way back home... Around the city.

Power ranger mode: On
Remember, when you ride your motorcycle that... ITS MORPHIN TIME

here's my gear. really recommend good gear! my BIL had a tiny crash last year in a parkinglot, good thing he was wearing leathers. saved him from bad burns and broken bones. btw; i am wearing gloves... i was just putting them on. LOL

11133756_10153386894653974_4441066511525806765_n.jpg

New rider - first helmet - LS2 393 - first impressions

I picked up my first helmet today at Royal at their no tax sale. It's an LS2 393 Convert Tech in glossy black and cost $360.

i didn't go in wanting to spend that much on a helmet but it fit so well and had all the features I needed.

firstly, it's a full convertible full face to 3/4 helmet. This helmet is unlike some modulars where the chin bar detaches when you don't want it, nor is it the kind where the chin bar flips up and protrudes high above the helmet (making it impractical to ride like that). The chin bar on the LS2 393 flips all the way up and all the way to the BACK of the helmet. So you can convert it from full face to 3/4 on the fly.

it also has a standard clear visor with a pop down sun visor. You can use any combination of any of the features as you please - the visor, sun visor and chin bar are all independent.

good venting on this so far. Took a real snug fit as I was told that the foam will compress slightly as I break it in and was told that a snug fit means it is safer than if it is a loose fit.

lt was nice doing rides on side streets with a 3/4 today! I am going to enjoy that capability in the summer. I attached a pic of it in 3/4 mode with the clear visor and sun visor down.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 61
Went to Daytona. Checked out the Streetz boots. Usually take a 9.5-10.5, couldn't get into anything smaller than an 11. Liked the lower style boot as Roomie suggested. I plan on going to Altimate as well. But those are definitely in my price range. Thanks for looking out! 

I ended up getting the Streetz Sport Shoes from Daytona Motor Sport. They were around $100 and awesome shoes for the price. I am happy with em.

what did you end up getting?

I ended up getting the Streetz Sport Shoes from Daytona Motor Sport. They were around $100 and awesome shoes for the price. I am happy with em.

what did you end up getting?

I went with the Streetz shorty boots. So far so good. $129 all in. I'll have to see how they are in the summer. I don't think that they are that breathable.

For the oversized new rider I've got some decent gear listed in classifieds.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/forumdisplay.php?32-Clothing-amp-Gear

I generally bought 90% of my gear on Kiji. - yeah there is some running around but you get to try gear.
My JR armored mesh jacket I picked up for $50 years ago and its served me very well even through some off road spills.

If you are a little too round....here's your chance to save some coin.

To answer the OP question...yes wear some armor but don't go overboard.....armor lends confidence when you should be looking at your riding skills instead of thinking you are not going to get hurt on a spill.

My shoulder is still sore two years after a front wheel washout off road....but my low cost knee armor saved my knee completely ( lesson - do your jacket up or the armor doesn't sit on the shoulder ).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom