New riders: should we armour up? | Page 10 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New riders: should we armour up?

Up to you...

Here's a fact - the #1 motorcycle injury is severed feet, so burly boots do more than look cool and are worth the hassle of putting on for your ride. Those trendy ankle boots from Puma, etc, don't do &%$# for protection. They just look cool if you're hanging at the mall.

Your hands will likely be one of the first things that hit the ground (instinctive reaction), so getting a pair that offer more protection than "cafe-racer-retro-cool" kid leather would be uselful. Focus group of one - even though I'm not racing, every time I buy gloves I flash back to footage I once saw of a GP rider whose hand got caught under his bars during a slide and ground his fingers off...so now I buy the burliest gloves I can find...

Body armour in a jacket - regardless of textile or leather. If you do buy textile and fall once, and it's armoured, it's done its job. You got your monies worth. Just buy another jacket after that's been shredded. Same with helmet. End of story.

Wanna ride a bike? Gear up.

Don't believe it? Hang around some long-term riders and look at their scars, amputations, limps, disabilities, etc.

***** happens when you least expect it. Been riding 42 years and this weekend I went into a corner hot, saw the gravel in the middle of the turn at the last minute and ended up *almost* in a pile at the side of the road.

This week I'm buying full leathers...

Last edited:
I am a new rider and I always gear up fully before going out! I have seen so many people locally/401 riding in shorts and tshirt and I can't help but be appalled at their disregard for life.

This thread is still going? Wear gear!
Or not... Your choice.

New riders should part 1, wear proper personal protective gear for improved personal safety, and part 2, for maximum safety they should ride as if they have none.

Unfortunately too many riders, new and experienced, forget part 2 and think having gear makes them invulnerable and able to defy the laws of physics and hard stops against other objects.

I just want to say that I hate all of you! When I was young, all I wanted to do was ride a big, loud HD in a tshirt and beenie. And when I started riding, that was me. (minus the hog) Now, after a year of being on the forum -- modular helmet, JR armoured jacket, armoured gloves, Icon pants -- sweating in the heat and wishing a curse on the GTAM community that the fleas of a thousand camels infest all of your armpits.

So i tried for the very first time to squid it yesterday (was washing the gear after a big touring day on saturday where i got rained on...again and again and again... and again...and one last time)

Was going around the corner on residential streets so i thought...ya know..wouldnt be too bad....gotta say though im such a chicken that i still had my boots and gloves on lol

Gotta tell ya, for as good as it feels to feel the wind on your skin and airing out the armpits (#1 reason to ride squid)... its still terrifying. I guess i've been too brainwashed with tons of youtube crashes, but thats all i kept imagining.

So yeah, keep the gear on and be safe!

I just want to say that I hate all of you! When I was young, all I wanted to do was ride a big, loud HD in a tshirt and beenie. And when I started riding, that was me. (minus the hog) Now, after a year of being on the forum -- modular helmet, JR armoured jacket, armoured gloves, Icon pants -- sweating in the heat and wishing a curse on the GTAM community that the fleas of a thousand camels infest all of your armpits.

Me too Joe, me too.

Back when I owned a bike in Jakarta about a decade ago, I never thought about gear. I wore a very thin jacket just to keep the dust and diesel soot off my dress shirt, and dress pants (I was a teacher). I wore the cheapest helmet out there than just looked like a helmet, I'm sure it offered little to no protection. Never wore gloves. I never put much thought into what might happen if I crashed.

I did crash once in Indo... was in Bali stopped waiting to turn right across the road (they drive opposite, so it's like making a left here)... and my rear foot peg was caught by a passing scooter in the opposite direction that sent both of us flying. I was on a rental scooter and likely wearing sandals and shorts. I came out basically unscathed... just dumb lucky once again.

Now, I don't even ride in jeans anymore... always my Aerostich AD1s or MX pants with separate knee pads. Proper motorcycle boots or mx boots, armoured gloves, full face helmet, the works. My carefree attitude has been destroyed -- but thanks GTAM for curing my ignorance on the protection aspect of biking.

Missed that in my post, Mike -- boots. Bought an entry level, inexpensive pair of boots, pretty soon after someone posted a pic of their foot after an accident wearing running shoes. Wore them for about 2 months. Had to go to a stag one night. Put on my old "motorcycle boots". Ugh! No ankle protection, no toe shifter pad. Hated it.

Same here, I used to ride in jeans and tshirts, joined gtam and watched one too many utube videos. Now it's atgatt 95% of the time.

That's because when you were young there were half the entitled douche bags on the road as there are now. Too much distracted driving out there and too many people more important than you to risk it often. Won't lie there's been a day or two I've ridden with just a back protector under a hoodie or shirt and gloves but I also putted around like sonnythebull errr I mean grandpa :D

Last edited:
Look at how often there is a post in the fallen rider section.

I always recommend folks starting out, to get proper gear.

As for me, I'm not very good at following my own advice.

The life insurance is paid up, will current.

I ride my cruiser slow.

Any road trips I'm geared up.

A lot of times, I'm in jeans and a tee with a beanie.

I also drink more than I should.

I know right from wrong.

My life, I decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at how often there is a post in the fallen rider section.

I always recommend folks starting out, to get proper gear.

As for me, I'm not very good at following my own advice.

The life insurance is paid up, will current.

I ride my cruiser slow.

Any road trips I'm geared up.

A lot of times, I'm in jeans and a tee with a beanie.

I also drink more than I should.

I know right from wrong.

My life, I decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said.

Me too Joe, me too.

Back when I owned a bike in Jakarta about a decade ago, I never thought about gear. I wore a very thin jacket just to keep the dust and diesel soot off my dress shirt, and dress pants (I was a teacher). I wore the cheapest helmet out there than just looked like a helmet, I'm sure it offered little to no protection. Never wore gloves. I never put much thought into what might happen if I crashed.

I did crash once in Indo... was in Bali stopped waiting to turn right across the road (they drive opposite, so it's like making a left here)... and my rear foot peg was caught by a passing scooter in the opposite direction that sent both of us flying. I was on a rental scooter and likely wearing sandals and shorts. I came out basically unscathed... just dumb lucky once again.

Now, I don't even ride in jeans anymore... always my Aerostich AD1s or MX pants with separate knee pads. Proper motorcycle boots or mx boots, armoured gloves, full face helmet, the works. My carefree attitude has been destroyed -- but thanks GTAM for curing my ignorance on the protection aspect of biking.

I never really squid, just not worth it. Case in point, recently had a minor incident off-road (was that wonderful mud trail AKA Death Valley with my slick tires) ... I was wearing motorcycle gloves, jacket, pants, helmet and boots. I was going maybe 30 KM/H and landed in DIRT. This is the result... Of course, just wiped the dirt off the bike... no issue. Just took this picture and I've been resting up over a week.

Vm2SNsP.jpg

Now i'm looking for boots that go up higher...

Squiding is just silly, and they better hope to never ever touch pavement. That's the damage with protection and landing in dirt.

Was a stupid situation, and could have easily been prevented with proper knobbie tires... but **** can happen anywhere.

Last edited:
Evryone showing extrme pics to prove point to be a power ranger. But, I laugh. SOrry.

I can show you pics of pedestrians getting hit and getting injury, but that don't mean that ppl walking on sidewalks should all gear up.

Anyway, most GTAM ppl, it seems, are girly man. Not really idea of strong, biker boyz that I love and cherish in my heart. Just sayin.

Evryone showing extrme pics to prove point to be a power ranger. But, I laugh. SOrry.

I can show you pics of pedestrians getting hit and getting injury, but that don't mean that ppl walking on sidewalks should all gear up.

Anyway, most GTAM ppl, it seems, are girly man. Not really idea of strong, biker boyz that I love and cherish in my heart. Just sayin.
Gear decreases your chances of getting MORE injured than you need to.

Same impact with exact same factors at 20km/h except for with vs without gear might make the difference between road rash and something broken or just walking away from it.

It's just logic. "I'm doing something dangerous but i can make it slightly less dangerous. Well MAYBE i should make it slightly less dangerous for myself, no?"
Just like seat belts, just like ABS, just like being healthy and active, just like using protective glasses when using a saw on wood...

If being smarter makes you less manly, well, make me less manly.

Lol, you are comparing pedestrians crossing the road with motorcyclists sharing the road with other vehicles. I am not relying on my equipment to save me in a big crash but to save me from a permanent disability due to a small fall, the spine is a fragile thing.

Back
Top Bottom