New riders: should we armour up? | GTAMotorcycle.com

New riders: should we armour up?

My 2cents? Gear is like 4x4 on my truck, I almost never need it, but when I do , I really really need it. Hopefully you'll never come off your bike and never need gear. If you do, you'll be very grateful you haven't left chunks of yourself smeared into the asphalt.

If you crash bad enough that parts of you will be smeared into the asphalt, I don't think any amount of gear can help you.

Picked up my bike from storage beginning of last season which had new tires put on before I picked it up. Got overconfident making a hard left turn without scrubbing the tires first and went down after hitting some leftover winter debris; first time down in 5 yrs, 70 000 ish kms. Slid a solid 30 feet until I hit the curb. Was wearing boots, Drayko Jeans, leather jacket, gloves, and a helmet. Knee got some good rug burn on it from the jeans rubbing, but no actual road rash, leather jacket had abrasion marks on the elbow and shoulder. If not for the kevlar jeans, it would have been a lot of skin left on the road and tons of debris to pick out of the skin that was left. If not for the jacket my elbow and shoulder would have been in the same situation, and same for my ankle if I had not been wearing boots. I always wear a minimum of the above listed gear in the city, and add full armoured pants and and airbag jacket outside of the city. Don't know if this thread is just someone trolling, but about half the folks on this site will say all riders need gear, and the other half will say the opposite.

Picked up my bike from storage beginning of last season which had new tires put on before I picked it up. Got overconfident making a hard left turn without scrubbing the tires first and went down after hitting some leftover winter debris; first time down in 5 yrs, 70 000 ish kms. Slid a solid 30 feet until I hit the curb. Was wearing boots, Drayko Jeans, leather jacket, gloves, and a helmet. Knee got some good rug burn on it from the jeans rubbing, but no actual road rash, leather jacket had abrasion marks on the elbow and shoulder. If not for the kevlar jeans, it would have been a lot of skin left on the road and tons of debris to pick out of the skin that was left. If not for the jacket my elbow and shoulder would have been in the same situation, and same for my ankle if I had not been wearing boots. I always wear a minimum of the above listed gear in the city, and add full armoured pants and and airbag jacket outside of the city. Don't know if this thread is just someone trolling, but about half the folks on this site will say all riders need gear, and the other half will say the opposite.

You certainly have the obvious proof of what is required. Good write up.
Yes to the trolling.
What happened to common sense?

Depends how much you value your skin and life and remember that accidents have many variables... not just you

My advice would be to search online for some photos and videos of road rash. Whether you wear gear or not is your choice, but you should at least be making an informed decision.

My personal favourite is this one. Yes he's wearing nothing but shorts and a helmet, but normal jeans and t-shirt would have yielded the same result. It doesn't look like much when he goes down, but then he gives you the tour of his body...

RC 51 road rash: http://youtu.be/u0auYp0Xr9A

If you crash bad enough that parts of you will be smeared into the asphalt, I don't think any amount of gear can help you.

When I was knocked of my bike in August I broke my ankle and hip. If I hadn't been wearing armoured pants I wouldn't have had an ankle to heal as I would have lost my leg at the knee.

My riding pants saved my leg. The knee of the pants were shredded, nothing left and the armoured pad was worn half way through. If I had been wearing just a pair of jeans or non-armoured pants I would have been royally ******.

I had no intention of being knocked off my bike last summer but **** happens. It's worth the mild discomfort for the protection.

Hey all, as the title says... Should new riders get all the protective gear? Pants, gloves, hardcore jacket??? What is the general thought?

I dropped my bike in a turn on my 5th day after doing the safety course, bloodied my knee because the only piece of gear I didn't have were knee pads.

Also met the most obnoxious cop in the universe that day.

So yeah, gear the hell up.

Pfft. With the way some people talk on here, you would think they worked for the clothing manufacturers.

Logic OP. You only need gear once you get better and start doing 200+ on city roads.
Actually, scratch that. If you are 200+ on city roads you will probably die in an accident anyway. No gear is gonna save you there.

$500 buys a lot of lapdances. that's way better than sweating in a goofy power-ranger jacket.

Just get one of these and a hoody. FOr some reason, rocks only tend to hit you in the chest. It's like murphy's law or something.

14322d1351092792-post-squid-image.jpg

BAD @$$
squid1.jpg

OP here, definitely not a troll question. Just interested to know how much gear ppl think is necessary. Thanks for weighing in guys.

Do you see people riding all over Vietnam, Taiwan or Thailand on bikes as their only mode of transportation wear gear? If you are the person who is feeling surprised about someone making thread like this, it's your problem not his. You got to understand people from different parts of the world living in Canada, and open up your god damn mindset.

I support wearing gear so don't start a war here.

53949252.jpg

Pfft. With the way some people talk on here, you would think they worked for the clothing manufacturers.

Logic OP. You only need gear once you get better and start doing 200+ on city roads.
Actually, scratch that. If you are 200+ on city roads you will probably die in an accident anyway. No gear is gonna save you there.

$500 buys a lot of lapdances. that's way better than sweating in a goofy power-ranger jacket.

Just get one of these and a hoody. FOr some reason, rocks only tend to hit you in the chest. It's like murphy's law or something.

Finally, someone I can get along with.

Back
Top Bottom