New riders: should we armour up? | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New riders: should we armour up?

as a beginner it may seem like a rhetorical question. But Its always the "budget" aspect or the "It doesnt look cool". Just keep in mind.. its very unforgiving when safety is ignored
Exactly. Some people get it and some don't. My friend who's 39 and now a first time rider just bought his helmet jacket boots and gloves at the show for great deals. He wants to find pants and a back protector and he's done. He came in just under 1200 so far which isn't bad and he got very decent stuff. I think some people seem to think you need to have the top of the line everything to ride and yes that is expensive.

Exactly. Some people get it and some don't. My friend who's 39 and now a first time rider just bought his helmet jacket boots and gloves at the show for great deals. He wants to find pants and a back protector and he's done. He came in just under 1200 so far which isn't bad and he got very decent stuff. I think some people seem to think you need to have the top of the line everything to ride and yes that is expensive.

I'm a recent-years rider and the first thing I did was to get the proper gear right after getting the moto, like the day after. I like A* brand and their stuff, I find it very comfortable and performs well to save your skin; ATGATT is my preferred style of riding.

OP, get your derriere covered by a layer of gear. You're welcome.

Last edited:
Spinal protection/injuries

Hey guys. I'm wondering what you think the absolute minimal, lightest protection for the spine would be? I wouldn't want one of those superhard huge vests, so is there something that's a little less imposing that might provide at least some cursory protection for the spine?

One thing I've noticed, is that there don't seem to be as many catastrophic spinal injuries from casual city motorcycling as you would expect. Does anybody know why that is? Is it because of the way motorcyclists tend to hit when they fall? Of course we see scraped skin, broken bones, concussions… But I haven't heard too often of actual para or quadriplegia resulting from your average city accident.

Do you guys think that catastrophic injuries such as this would still be pretty rare doing what one might call "average" driving through Toronto streets?

I.e. Let's say a typically accident is: you're driving 50-60 kph, and a car left turns and hits you (or you hit it). It seems like actual catastrophic injury from this sort of scenario is far from assured.

Re: Spinal protection/injuries

Hey guys. I'm wondering what you think the absolute minimal, lightest protection for the spine would be? I wouldn't want one of those superhard huge vests, so is there something that's a little less imposing that might provide at least some cursory protection for the spine?

One thing I've noticed, is that there don't seem to be as many catastrophic spinal injuries from casual city motorcycling as you would expect. Does anybody know why that is? Is it because of the way motorcyclists tend to hit when they fall? Of course we see scraped skin, broken bones, concussions… But I haven't heard too often of actual para or quadriplegia resulting from your average city accident.

Do you guys think that catastrophic injuries such as this would still be pretty rare doing what one might call "average" driving through Toronto streets?

I.e. Let's say a typically accident is: you're driving 50-60 kph, and a car left turns and hits you (or you hit it). It seems like actual catastrophic injury from this sort of scenario is far from assured.

I looked it up quickly. Looks like spinal cord injuries are pretty rare like you said. Those injuries tend to happen by landing on your head, not landing on your back. I know, I landed on my head, compressed my spine over an inch. Compressed 3 vertebrae and fractured a few in my neck and upper back.

So you want the least amount of protection possible for your spine?

OMG. I'm sure you don't want to relive it, but could you tell us what happened and how you're doing today?

OMG. I'm sure you don't want to relive it, but could you tell us what happened and how you're doing today?

no worries. It happened mountain biking, over a decade ago. 33 yrs old now. I'm fine, although I'm never really comfortable unless I'm lying down, but it could be worse -I could be paralyzed right? A big part of my spine is fused together. My neck was never operated on and it gives me the most grief.

Ya, see here's what's wierd... It was kinda mountain biking that got me thinking about spinal injuries in the first place. Over the past five years, I followed the story of Tracy, a local fitness instructor. She crashed while training for a bicycle race, became totally paralyzed, and eventually died from a related lung infection.

http://tracydortkyne.com

and that happened just on a regular bicycle. so it really begs the question of, why we don't hear about it More on motorbikes....

Ya, see here's what's wierd... It was kinda mountain biking that got me thinking about spinal injuries in the first place. Over the past five years, I followed the story of Tracy, a local fitness instructor. She crashed while training for a bicycle race, became totally paralyzed, and eventually died from a related lung infection.

http://tracydortkyne.com

and that happened just on a regular bicycle. so it really begs the question of, why we don't hear about it More on motorbikes....

Jesus. That's sad!

My guess of why we don't hear about this more from motorbikes is because of the added speed. That type of impact (landing directly on your head) would kill you. I know when I had my accident my surgeon said I was very lucky to be alive because I was traveling at a fairly high rate of speed. I'd estimate that I was only goingabout 30 or 40km/hr. Maybe even less at impact.

I know it's glib but don't be there in the first place.
-have you practised your emergency stops?
-is the bike in top condition, especially tires and brake pads?
-is your indicator off because you remembered to turn it off at the last intersection?
-are you wearing hi-viz?
-do you have the brake and clutch covered?
-are you perhaps doing a little moving in your lane so you create lateral motion and open up the bike for greater visibility?
-are you looking at the car wheel for any signs of movement?
-are you going an appropriate speed for the intersection? If the speed limit is 50kmh why are you going 50-60? You know what's behind you because you are routine in your checks so why not slow down a bit?
-and should the worst happen, are you wearing good gear from reputable firms?

No need for gear dude! You don't want to look like a power ranger, plus we need more organ donors. How can we expect more donors if we all wear gear.

Unfortunately I'm on one those morons that like dressing up like a power ranger.

My personal opinion on those who don't ride with gear on... I hope they crash and get to experience the wonderful feeling of the asphalt burning their skin off. Just don't do it while riding an R6 or R1, because that will directly effect my insurance rates. I'm one of those guys who is really dumb and looks like he just got off a race track, while riding on the road in 30+ degree weather. Can't handle the sweat? Don't ride or just stay hydrated... Gear is uncomfortable? Really?! I enjoy gearing up, it gets me in my mind set to ride. I tried riding squid once last summer, just around the block.... Went home after 2 mins and got fully geared up. I only went for a 10 min ride to the store.

Just remember noobs, everyone goes down eventually. (I'm sure there will be some turd who says he hasn't ever been down before, but you surely haven't pushed your bike to its limits).

To be honest sometimes I don't wear gear but I put on my Canada goose, to get the commuter look. It's good enough for road rash but not so much for impact. Touch wood so far so good. It's awkward wearing gear walking into stores and restaurants when I'm not with a pack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be honest sometimes I don't wear gear but I put on my Canada goose, to get the commuter look. It's good enough for road rash but not so much for impact. Touch wood so far so good. It's awkward wearing gear walking into stores and restaurants when I'm not with a pack

That way you can be missing your skin and be out a $400 winter coat, too! At least you'll look nice.

You seriously think that canada goose jacket is good for road rash? Dude, my jeans evaporated on knees the moment I touched the asphalt. That goose will be all feathers in half a second, nicely embedded into your skin. Good luck looking like a real goose in a hospital.

I was wearing full gear when i rolled up to this bar last night by myself. you know what happen? i got approached non stop by other bikers showing me pics of their bikes and girls telling me how hot i look in my outfit and how they want to go for a ride. However I wear $2000 worth of gear on, so i look pretty bad ***.

My personal opinion on those who don't ride with gear on... I hope they crash and get to experience the wonderful feeling of the asphalt burning their skin off. Just don't do it while riding an R6 or R1, because that will directly effect my insurance rates. I'm one of those guys who is really dumb and looks like he just got off a race track, while riding on the road in 30+ degree weather. Can't handle the sweat? Don't ride or just stay hydrated... Gear is uncomfortable? Really?! I enjoy gearing up, it gets me in my mind set to ride. I tried riding squid once last summer, just around the block.... Went home after 2 mins and got fully geared up. I only went for a 10 min ride to the store.

Just remember noobs, everyone goes down eventually. (I'm sure there will be some turd who says he hasn't ever been down before, but you surely haven't pushed your bike to its limits).

One reason i like to wear full gear, is to take nice corners if i have to.

R1-Knee-Down-Sparks1.jpg

50633.jpg

My mother had a brutal story for me when I told her I was getting a motorcycle. She was a nurse in the ER and she had a squid come in that was in an accident. She said they got him on the table, knocked him out via anesthesia and she said they started scrubbing the gravel out with a wire brush. BRUTAL! That's not the worst part though. The worst part is, it was so painful the guy woke up, sat straight up and started screaming. If that's not enough to get you to put on some gear I dunno what is? That story sticks with me.

My mother had a brutal story for me when I told her I was getting a motorcycle. She was a nurse in the ER and she had a squid come in that was in an accident. She said they got him on the table, knocked him out via anesthesia and she said they started scrubbing the gravel out with a wire brush. BRUTAL! That's not the worst part though. The worst part is, it was so painful the guy woke up, sat straight up and started screaming. If that's not enough to get you to put on some gear I dunno what is? That story sticks with me.
Lots like it and worse. You can get road rash down to the bone or have parts of you ground right off.

Back
Top Bottom