Looking for Moto Safety Volunteers for the Ride to Conquer Cancer! | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for Moto Safety Volunteers for the Ride to Conquer Cancer!

I am a newer rider, only started riding last year, I would like to volunteer sounds like a great experience. I would just need to double check if I am traveling during that time. I am experienced with group rides too. Should be messaging soon.

Ten Reasons Not To give $ To Charities.....'
http://freakonomics.com/2011/05/03/...a-major-charity-how-to-be-a-superhero-part-2/

0727OPEDopen-popup.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/27/opinion/the-charitable-industrial-complex.html?_r=0

Last edited:
I believe that the executives should be compensated accordingly. They are running a multi million dollar business. I would not want a second tier manager looking after this, and that's exactly what you would get paying less. They are charities, but they are also a business. That being said, I believe that they should be held to a higher standard to stay within a set % of operating costs. If I feel that my donation money is not being directed to where I think it should be, or the administration costs are too high, I will stop donating to said charity.
As far as the $25 fee goes, it has been addressed that it helps keep people committed. Although a small fee, imo, if you pay that, there is a better chance of showing up. Just my $0.02.
How true: exactly as you say. Only, as an aside: the company isn't a charity, only the event(s) run by the company is a charity event - but it remains "for-profit".
All of you nay-sayers who shudder at the thought of committing $25 for registration: DON'T COME, do us all a favour and find something else to do.

Last edited:
I have ridden my bicycle for 4 years and have been on the Moto- Safety for the past 2. For all of you who think that the fund raising is all going to execs and staff......I hope you never need PM's services, however if you do you can thank many of their charity events for the quality innovative care you will recieve. Even if you are been taken care of at one of the other cancer centres in the world much of your treatment comes from the research the PM and the University health network do with the money raised.

I speak from the perspective of a husband of a recent Breast Cancer patient and survivor, had she been diagnosed 10 years ago she would not have had the same positive outcome.
so those of you who think the ride, walk and lotteries are a rip.....why don't you just donate directly to your local hospital then you will bypass the organizers fees.....they all need the money. Those of you who believe in the cause please join the Moto-Safety team we can always use more help and you will be amazed at how rewarding your work will be if you have any questions about the ride feel free to contact me via private message here.

Its human nature to complain but its also human nature to help!

I have participated as a moto safety member for the ride to conquer cancer for a number of years. We can debate all of the economics of charities forever. I think the thing that has been the most special is the people that I have met both on the team and during the event. The team members have become friends, the participants share their stories of grief and triumph. It really is a wonderful experience. Our team is vital to the success of the event. Simply put for two days your participation will make a difference. Give it a try.

Its human nature to complain but its also human nature to help!

Actually, it's more natural to complain for some members on this board - sometimes, if you read their quotes more than a few times, you tend to lose IQ points (bashing on a fund raising event...for cancer...how bored are some of you apes...).

This is an event to help fight cancer, and some of you are concerned that it costs you $25 to offset FREE meals, REIMBURSEMENT of you kilometers and towards your ACCOMMODATIONS (I'll even take t-shirts out of the equation for y'all). Not sure what math courses we need to evoke here, but it seems like even with having to pony up $25 that we come out ahead...

Sometimes, reading this board just makes me want to drown kittens and club a few baby seals.

Exactly one week to go till the event. Over the past 3 weeks we lost 5 registered members from our team - so we still need support. If you find yourself with available time next weekend, even for just one day, consider registering and joining the Moto Safety team, we need more help especially now that we're short-handed. We are barely at 58 members, about half of what we really need. I'm not expecting a surge of 30-40 bikes suddenly, but a few would definitely be a bonus!

Back
Top Bottom