Camping overnight during long rides - What rules to follow? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Camping overnight during long rides - What rules to follow?

il3dsm

Hello,

I am thinking of going on extended trips into northern Ontario (Algonquin park and beyond, for example)

Let's assume I get caught in some bad conditions and can't make it to a hotel to stay in and decide to break out a tent (Or just decide to break out a tent because I don't want to stay at a hotel). How easy is that in Ontario?
Where I am from (Russia) , if you are in the rural area you just pull your bike into woods, break out a tent, start a fire and hope that bears/wolves keep away (they do usually). Is it similar in Ontario or somehow different?

In addition, has anybody done what I'm describing?
Are there forest sheds for hikers to stay in (I don't know a proper term for it, like a small wooden house so you don't have to sleep outside). If so, how can I find them?
Are there some sort of foresters that scan the woods for campers or no?
What is the wildlife like?
Should I pack something in case of an animal attack? Is it likely I'll see some predator or just don't worry about it?

Last edited:
First off, what are you riding?

I'm planning a few trips up North this coming summer where I intend to camp, and in some cases I intend where I can find a spot. If you want to join, let me know.

Years ago I rode a dual sport bike out to Halifax, and all along the way I stealth camped. Wherever I camped I just rode in just before dark, didn't mess with a fire, slept and got up with the sun, packed, and was on my way. I slept in fields, once in a park in the middle of a city in Quebec (didn't set up the tent, just slept on a park bench beside my bike), and once up a logging road on a mountain in New Brunswick... no one ever bothered me most likely because no one saw me... no fire, no mess, and left at 5am.

Up North there also is a lot of crown land in which it is completely legal to camp and in many cases have a fire and even stay a few nights. The challenge is knowing if you are actually on crown land or private land, as there are rarely signs indicating one way or the other. In general, if you don't make noise, don't make light, and disappear early in the morning you won't run into any problems one way or another.

In certain areas far north you might find shelters, but I don't know how to find them.

There is not much need to pack something to protect yourself from animals. For the most part, bears and wolves will stay away from us unless you disturb their young or they are starving. There have been very few attacks over the years. Just avoid having meat or any smelly food with you and you should be fine. I carried bear spray on my Labrador trip, and will likely pack it with me this summer too just in case. I would consider carrying my shotgun, if it weren't for the space it takes and how to secure it? If you want to carry bear pepper spray, you can get that at LeBarons or Sail for $20 or so.

As for who checks on these things other than private owners checking their own land, it would be the Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) and the OPP. I would hesitate taking my gun as then the MNR might think I am poaching if I am out of season or not carrying a license for anything that might be in season. Most likely if either the MNR or OPP found you out camping, they'd likely just tell you to move along if it was not okay to do in that area. Even if they want to be a jerk and fine you, it would just be a fine. I once got charged for having a fire on the rocky coast up near Tobermory before, and it was $50 or $75 or something... not a big deal. Anyway, the further North you get, the less likely you'd ever be bothered. There are only so many MNR officers out there, and there is a huge amount of land. You need to be much more concerned about black flies than MNR officers.

What about tandoori chicken and biryani?? Would that be a problem with the bears? I am assuming they only go after raw meat and not cooked meat...
Thats spicy food do they come after it? No experience with bears and wolves hence the question.

Last edited:
What about tandoori chicken and biryani?? Would that be a problem with the bears?
Thats spicy food do they come after it? No experience with bears and wolves hence the question.

The more processed a food is, the less attractive it would be to an animal, but I still wouldn't take a chance. If I go camping with food, a food bag gets strung up from a tree and not directly over my tent either. The only food I wouldn't worry about is something like instant noodles in a package, canned foods, dried foods, etc. Bears and wolves are not your only worry... raccoons, foxes, etc, will all seek out food that entices them. Have raccoons ripped apart your garbage overnight? If they did, it was likely for meat or fish scraps.

Spicy foods may help deter... I don't know.

The more processed a food is, the less attractive it would be to an animal, but I still wouldn't take a chance. If I go camping with food, a food bag gets strung up from a tree and not directly over my tent either. The only food I wouldn't worry about is something like instant noodles in a package, canned foods, dried foods, etc. Bears and wolves are not your only worry... raccoons, foxes, etc, will all seek out food that entices them. Have raccoons ripped apart your garbage overnight? If they did, it was likely for meat or fish scraps.

Spicy foods may help deter... I don't know.

Could be an interesting experiment.... extra spicy chicken left out for the racoon

Could be an interesting experiment.... extra spicy chicken left out for the racoon

We had a raccoon tear into a garbage bag here at home and it only took one bone. My wife had doused the scraps with hot sauce and chili pepper.

Re fires, if you have to cook something a butane stove is fast and safe. The open bonfire is more romantic but more likely to be noticed and may be illegal if there are fire restrictions in place.

In Canada self defense of any sort with a weapon is a touchy subject because a small number of people abuse the rules.

Unless you are a vegetarian living off the land doesn't legally work either.

Dont light fires, if their is a landowner, they tend to not like it, MNR will only bother you if its forest fire season and other than feeling good there is no reason for a campfire. Small cook stove for coffee and heating up stuff is all you'll need, and they are light, cheap enough and safe.
Dont kid yourself about bears/racoon/coyotes and scavenging. If your near any bears they will come to check out any food, processed or not. Biryani and shwarma probably smell awesome to a bear, keep any food you travel with in a bag and hang it in a tree away from where you are tenting, and put any garbage in a bag and hang it till you can pack it out. The wildlife are just pests and looking for an easy meal, dont help them.
We have camped stealth mode for years, my advice would be just think about what your doing, dont set up camp on somebodies lawn, mostly we have found nobody cares if your not staying three days. And the crappier the weather when you park, the less likely you'll have anybody stop and ask what your doing.

This will keep the bears at bay....assuming your are licensed....

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...talls-Exclusive-12-quot-Tombstone-SxS-Shotgun

lRA4ouWh.jpg

What, if any, are the rules/laws on barrel length?

short version

26" overall length is non restricted... barrel length has nothing to do with it other than contributing to overall length. When cutting a barrel it can't be cut shorter than 18" or it will be prohibited... if it's factory, that's ok as long as you maintain 26" overall length to avoid possession of an unregistered restricted firearm.

and the legal version

https://nfa.ca/resource-items/barrel-and-firearms-lengths

Right now I have a 250 in the garage. This spring if the insurance prices are okay (need to check) I plan to get a KLR/DR650. Maybe drz400.
Thanks for detailed responses.

First off, what are you riding?

I'm planning a few trips up North this coming summer where I intend to camp, and in some cases I intend where I can find a spot. If you want to join, let me know.

Years ago I rode a dual sport bike out to Halifax, and all along the way I stealth camped. Wherever I camped I just rode in just before dark, didn't mess with a fire, slept and got up with the sun, packed, and was on my way. I slept in fields, once in a park in the middle of a city in Quebec (didn't set up the tent, just slept on a park bench beside my bike), and once up a logging road on a mountain in New Brunswick... no one ever bothered me most likely because no one saw me... no fire, no mess, and left at 5am.

Up North there also is a lot of crown land in which it is completely legal to camp and in many cases have a fire and even stay a few nights. The challenge is knowing if you are actually on crown land or private land, as there are rarely signs indicating one way or the other. In general, if you don't make noise, don't make light, and disappear early in the morning you won't run into any problems one way or another.

In certain areas far north you might find shelters, but I don't know how to find them.

There is not much need to pack something to protect yourself from animals. For the most part, bears and wolves will stay away from us unless you disturb their young or they are starving. There have been very few attacks over the years. Just avoid having meat or any smelly food with you and you should be fine. I carried bear spray on my Labrador trip, and will likely pack it with me this summer too just in case. I would consider carrying my shotgun, if it weren't for the space it takes and how to secure it? If you want to carry bear pepper spray, you can get that at LeBarons or Sail for $20 or so.

As for who checks on these things other than private owners checking their own land, it would be the Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) and the OPP. I would hesitate taking my gun as then the MNR might think I am poaching if I am out of season or not carrying a license for anything that might be in season. Most likely if either the MNR or OPP found you out camping, they'd likely just tell you to move along if it was not okay to do in that area. Even if they want to be a jerk and fine you, it would just be a fine. I once got charged for having a fire on the rocky coast up near Tobermory before, and it was $50 or $75 or something... not a big deal. Anyway, the further North you get, the less likely you'd ever be bothered. There are only so many MNR officers out there, and there is a huge amount of land. You need to be much more concerned about black flies than MNR officers.

Right now I have a 250 in the garage. This spring if the insurance prices are okay (need to check) I plan to get a KLR/DR650. Maybe drz400.
Thanks for detailed responses.

I did a small camping trip 2 years on ago with my 250 and it was great. We actually planned spots to camp in but overall there were no issues.

I strapped a tent and chair to the back seat, and I have a solid 3 hard luggage setup which took everything else and the best part is that it was all used up during the trip so no wasted space. The bike struggled with all the weight, especially going uphill but overall no issues. Buddy with the Busa did a similar thing except his tent consisted of a bag with a cover for his head so much smaller and compact then my 3 person tent.

I'd be interested in a camping trip this year if you're going I'm game depending on timing! My trip consisted of the following:

Day 1 - Toronto - Tobermory with Ferry to Manitoulin Island to camp
Day 2 - Manitoulin Island towards Wawa
Day 3 - South towards Sudbury and camping near French River campground
Day 4 - Back south to Toronto

Had a blast and would do it again in a hear beat! If you have any questions let me know via PM.

What about tandoori chicken and biryani?? Would that be a problem with the bears? I am assuming they only go after raw meat and not cooked meat...

no indian please

I'm planning a trip to Ontario Highlands for 2-3 days. Just cruising around and staying in hotel so I can travel light. Will post more details when I have a plan but so far it's just an idea

I've got a trip to Algoma planned around June and going East Coast through the adirondacks in July if anyone's interested. Camping both times...either on land or at a private site.

great link, thank you! and yes, Canadian residents can camp for up to 21 days for free; non-residents must by a pass = 9.95. However, I am sure it said no Indian cooking allowed.

Last edited:
My friends and I really enjoy vagrant camping ( I like the term camping rough). We've done this in northern ontario, in quebec on our way up to Jame Bay and again last summer when we headed to thompson manitoba. We just head down a gravel road road or into a field that appears to hide our spot a little from the road. Never had any problems. Last year we bought lots of loud fire works which we set off each night in an attempt to scare away any near by bears.
Although we never saw bears we did have a guy ride up to our camp in the morning on an atv with 5 gallon pails of sweetened popcorn which he said he used to bait his bear hunting areas. When I asked if there were many bears around his reply was " a healthy population"

Back
Top Bottom