Iron butt ride june 21st 2015 kawarthas | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Iron butt ride june 21st 2015 kawarthas

Re: Cannonball 500 Continues to Grow!

I attended the Peterborough Cycle Bike night last in Peterborough - great time - I gave away three Cannonball 500 Helmets as the mystery draw prizes. I would think those that won them would be quite pleased.

We are only 8 sleeps away from riding some of the most scenic roads our area has to offer. I do hope many of you can make it.

Cheers - Purdyman

I forgot I'm getting some tattoo work done a few days before hand, not sure if I'll be ready in time unfortunately. There's a fall ride too though correct?

I suppose you could say that - however what makes you think they are going to have police hanging out in Wilno or anywhere else for that matter. The original Cannonball Run had Helicopters watching. I really dont think the police will bother and if you really feel you must speed excessively then - don't bother coming. It is designed for everyone to take on the challenge, not lose your license. There are no prizes for the quickest time. Everyone is equal. If you do the ride and enjoy it for all the reasons that it was planned for then - hope to see you.

It is quite simple, ride and enjoy the day - if you make it in time great - you earn the reward - and if you don't - do the fall cannonball 500 ride and try again.

Re: Cannonball 500 - Iron Butt Ride - Ontario and Alberta now!

Make sure you post up here for the fall one too!!

Fathers Day dinner at my house around 2pm on Sunday. Unfortunately won't be able to make it :(

have a a fun ride guys!

Curious if all the roads are paved and sport bike friendly ?

Thanks for the warning. Will stay far, far away if I can.

All of the roads are paved. Any bike can do this. It is not speed that will complete but constant riding and short stops that will win. Tortoise and the hare approach.

All of the roads are paved. Any bike can do this. It is not speed that will complete but constant riding and short stops that will win. Tortoise and the hare approach.

yup. food, gas and washroom all at same stop. short snacks along the way

i always look at it like this: If I'm travelling 100 km/h, and I stop for 30 min, thats 50 km that I would have traveled. The distance that then needs to be covered to make up for stting still starts to add up quickly

Looks like its gonna rain mmm maybe another day

Looks like its gonna rain mmm maybe another day

only mild drizzle though right?

Edit: By that I mean: weather no problem for riding.

Last edited:
Re: Cannonball 500 - Iron Butt Ride - First Inaugral Ride behind us now!

Lots of people attended the first - in Ontario alone 550 registered onsite at the dealerships! Waiting on the rest of the provinces to send me their stats. It was an interesting day and I hope despite the obvious start up issues - dealerships - no one there - etc. everyone still had a great time. It is funny how some dealers got the opportunity and others ... A lot of great comments are pouring in now and I really appreciate the kind ones. For those who attempted and did not complete - September 20th is the next planned Cannonball 500 Fall Color Tour now. Plan your time for that ride now!

Many riders came from great distances away and took motel rooms - I know I had quite a group with me who I traveled with for the entire ride. We had a blast - Yes we made it but just barely 11.56 - talk about cutting it tight and down to the wire. In any event I would suggest that if you are planning on taking on the Cannonball 500 that you do so with 4 like mined riders not 9 like i had! Far too many stops of all sorts but mainly fuel stops became an issue.
Everyone's bike drinks at different levels - Mine was good for 500 km, but most ran for about 200.

Make sure you print off all of the maps - not just the main one. One of the reasons why I took so many people was many only had the main map - It would have been almost impossible if you did not have the detailed versions. Again lesson learned. I am working hard to make this a far better ride for everyone - so please work with me and here is hoping those who did attend do so once again.

Cheers, Purdyman
Cannonball 500 Organizer

Most likely will be signing up for the September one :)

Nice of you to report back.

Yep I missed this but will hopefully do the September one. Glad to hear it was a success! I wonder how many people completed it?

I missed this one due to Father’s Day festivities unfortunately. However, if someone still wants to do this type of ride (without waiting until September run) would it be possible to do the ride, collect receipts, and still be eligible for the Iron Butt patch? The distance stays the same, the only difference is the date of the ride?? An iron butt is an iron butt....?

EDIT: Looks like the route passes within 5min of my cottage...very promising for Sept. run! But I'd prefer to do it earlier.

Last edited:

Technically yes - however it would not be considered a Cannonball 500 ride date. SO you could do it - keep your receipts and you would qualify only for the Iron Butt Certificate - that you have to send away for to them directly. You would not be able to get the Cannonball 500 Patch.
Details here: http://www.cannonball500.ca/iron-butt-docs.php

Back
Top Bottom