Jacket Recommendations for Toronto | GTAMotorcycle.com

Jacket Recommendations for Toronto

dky

Hi guys,

I'm wondering what kind of jacket you guys would recommend. I tried on an alpinestars jacket (http://gpbikes.com/street/jackets/leather/alpinestars-gp-plus-r-perforated-leather-jacket.html) and it fit perfectly and felt very comfortable.

The more I look though, I'm not sure if there may be a better choice out there. I'm talking textile/mesh vs leather vs mix of both.

Since I'm starting out, I'd ideally want a jacket that I could use when it's both hot and cool. Does anyone have any advice or recommendations?

I have the jacket you tried on. While I do love it yes it can get warm in the heat. I also have an a* textile that's great and waterproof. Before anyone chimes in and your thread turns into a debate about leather vs textile, both are fine on the street. I've crashed rather badly in textile and came out of it without even a scratch. I like both but to be honest I find I wear the leather more, even if it's hot out.

http://gpbikes.com/street/jackets/textile/alpinestars-t-jaws-waterproof-jacket.html

Thanks for the input, Roomie! I am leaning towards the perf leather one. I immediately loved it when I tried it on. I'll see what some others think before deciding on anything :)

Youte welcome. I will say that neither my 2 leather jackets nor 1 piece suit are perforated. It may be warm in the summer but rather nice on chilly mornings/evenings in the spring and fall.

I have a great black First Gear armored mesh jacket that I wear under a black leather shell jacket, works for all occasions.

There are perf leather jackets that come with liners to extend their cool weather ability. Can't think of any off the top of my head but I've seen them

I use this textile one:
http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/icon-patrol-waterproof-jacket.html

Works all season, all-in-one. Never had to bring rain gear on bike trips. The vents are good in hot summer days, and the liner has sleeves which kept me toasty in the fall/winter.

I had a perforated leather jacket before (Icon) and I was cold with chilly weather due to (1) no sleeves with the liner, and (2) the breeze/wind went right through the fabric materials they used on the leather sleeves to keep them agile.

Best jacket is the one you'll actually wear. get a warmer one to start the season, then add a mesh or perf leather as the weather warms up. Always good deals on used on this site or Kijiji, so no reason you can't have both.

I need to re-visit my jacket situation at some time. At present I have an Icon mesh jacket and also, the Olympia Airglide which does not flow as much air as the Icon but can be worn in the colder stuff and/or rain. I really should look at a nice leather jacket for the spring and fall rides. Would keep me as warm or warmer than the Olympia jacket with much better abrasion resistance.

The OP's jacket option looks like a really nice quality piece of gear.

I think I've narrowed my choices to two.

Alpinestars GP Plus R Perforated - http://gpbikes.com/street/jackets/leather/alpinestars-gp-plus-r-perforated-leather-jacket.html

Alpinestars Jaws Perforated - http://gpbikes.com/street/jackets/leather/alpinestars-jaws-perforated-leather-jacket.html
- This one has removable liner

Do you guys find colour of the jacket helps with the heat significantly (All black jacket vs white/black)? Or is the different negligible enough that I should just choose a colour I like best?

For gloves I've settled on Dainese 4 Stroke.

Last edited:
I've got both and color doesn't make a difference. Leather will be warm in the summer so go with what you like. I have those gloves as well and they're great.

I'm also on the market for a Jacket and interested in the same Alpinestars Jaws Perforated leather Jacket that dky posted. I do however want to save some money, would I possibly be able to find this jacket for a lower price at the March show?

If you're lucky maybe. Likely no tax or something but I can't see it being much cheaper. If they have a "last year's" jacket perhaps

If you guys still interested in Alpinestars GP Plus R (Non-Perforated) I can hook u up.
I have a brand new Red White and Black which I'm trying to get rid of size 46US / 56EUR. I need a smaller size.

You will end up with more gear as the years go by. I've got a handful of jackets from leather to textile/mesh. I wear them depending on the weather conditions.

Not all mesh/textile is created equal, my understanding is some will melt in a slide and make the burns a bit worse. As told to me by a Klim garment salesguy. Klim is very nice but spendy. I have leather and textile, they get changed up but mostly I wear the leather. Putting wicking shirts on undernieth is all I do and Im mostly comfortable.
I trust cows.

For colour, it doesn't matter if you're moving. But if you get stuck in traffic, you'll fry your balls off in a black jacket in the sun. Exactly why I went and got a white + black a* jacket after being stuck in the sun one day.

Back
Top Bottom