Cross border warranties | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cross border warranties

nobbie48

Site Supporter
A friend bought a new CanAm here in Ontario and had a problem while in touring the USA. Bombardier told him he didn't have warranty coverage in the USA.

I know warranties are generally null if you buy across the border but if you buy a new bike here and license it here I would have thought the warranty would go where there are dealer networks. Apparently not so.

What do the other makes do? Unless things have changed Honda will warranty a Canadian sold bike either side of the border if it has a Canadian registration. Similarly a USA sold and registered bike. US sold with a Canadian registration is out of luck.

Comments?

I would have thought if I bought a Canadian CanAm and toured the US and had a warranty related issues that needed attention it would be looked after. I guess its another case of know the fine print on your paperwork.

call OMVIC makes no sense unless he bought it from the US, brought it up here and plated it.

Think about it, it's like buying your Toyota here and driving in the states, car breaks down they say too bad...something is missing from his story.

call OMVIC makes no sense unless he bought it from the US, brought it up here and plated it.

Think about it, it's like buying your Toyota here and driving in the states, car breaks down they say too bad...something is missing from his story.

Bought and plated here. The owner is as straight as you could find. I'd like to see the warranty fine print.

Gotta love Kawasaki extended warranty+roadside coverage. In case of a breakdown they will haul your *** home or nearest dealer anywhere in US/Canada and no deductible...

Let the good times roll :D

Gotta love Kawasaki extended warranty+roadside coverage. In case of a breakdown they will haul your *** home or nearest dealer anywhere in US/Canada and no deductible...

Even my ****** Hyundai has that kind of warranty for 5yrs

A friend bought a new CanAm here in Ontario and had a problem while in touring the USA. Bombardier told him he didn't have warranty coverage in the USA.

I know warranties are generally null if you buy across the border but if you buy a new bike here and license it here I would have thought the warranty would go where there are dealer networks. Apparently not so.

What do the other makes do? Unless things have changed Honda will warranty a Canadian sold bike either side of the border if it has a Canadian registration. Similarly a USA sold and registered bike. US sold with a Canadian registration is out of luck.

Comments?

Every manufacturer has a different set of standards when it comes to cross-boarder warranties. Keep in mind with the exception of Yamaha, I am going from memory on this..

Triumph - warranty is the same on both sides no matter where you purchased the bike.
Harley Davidson - If you import it to Canada, even with extended warranty already purchased, you have no warranty on either side of the boarder. Last I heard you could buy a Canadian warranty after the fact for here.
Yamaha - Yamaha Canada will honour US warranties on a case by case basis if you are travelling in Canada from the US.
Victory - same on both sides.
The otheres - it's been too long for me to remember.

The differences have to do with the way the companies are structured. Yamaha Canada and Yamaha US are actually competing companies with different products and head offices. So one has to bill the other for warranty work. Triumph North America is based out of the US and all warranties are funneled through the same location.

Every manufacturer has a different set of standards when it comes to cross-boarder warranties. Keep in mind with the exception of Yamaha, I am going from memory on this..

Triumph - warranty is the same on both sides no matter where you purchased the bike.
Harley Davidson - If you import it to Canada, even with extended warranty already purchased, you have no warranty on either side of the boarder. Last I heard you could buy a Canadian warranty after the fact for here.
Yamaha - Yamaha Canada will honour US warranties on a case by case basis if you are travelling in Canada from the US.

The differences have to do with the way the companies are structured. Yamaha Canada and Yamaha US are actually competing companies with different products and head offices. So one has to bill the other for warranty work. Triumph North America is based out of the US and all warranties are funneled through the same location.

just to add to this ... Honda will NOT cover the repair itself when your down there. However, if you have it fixed at a USA dealer and bring the receipt back to Canada you can submit it to Honda Canada and they will honor it. Happened to a friend of mine and his VFR.

He paid out of pocket for Honda dealer to fix it. Brought back the defective part and the receipt that he paid and they reimbursed him full amount.

How accurate is this? Is there somewhere that states this or is it just implied?

Are there any other makers that offer this? I will be using my bike a lot in the US, and if it can't be serviced with its warrenty (if it ever needed it) in the US then its useless for me.

If Kawi is the only maker that does this, then I guess my choices of bikes just became extremely limited.

EDIT: Just saw this.. which I will confirm this weekend.

I am going from memory on this..

Last edited:
How accurate is this? Is there somewhere that states this or is it just implied?

Are there any other makers that offer this? I will be using my bike a lot in the US, and if it can't be serviced with its warrenty (if it ever needed it) in the US then its useless for me.

If Kawi is the only maker that does this, then I guess my choices of bikes just became extremely limited.

I had Honda Plus for my ST1300 ...

http://motorcycle.honda.ca/parts-service/warranty

this line here :

Towing to the Honda dealer of your choice within 50 km, or to the nearest Honda dealer within 150 km of the breakdown site.

The best thing to do is ask a dealer and obtain a copy of the warranty. For instance, if purchased at a dealer in either country, just ask how it works if travelling across the border. Most will know and have details.

If you import from another country, (USA for example) you can contact the dealer and request what is needed to have the warranty in place.

When in doubt or something seems odd, refer to the warranty itself.

In the case of HD for example, the warranty is transferable to the imported country as long as certain conditions are met.

Some Canadian dealers may try to scare you to think machines imported from the states don't have a warranty. They don't want to lose business to the USA by telling you it's so easy.

Back
Top Bottom