Motorcycle Parking Fee 2015 – Response Coordination Thread | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Parking Fee 2015 – Response Coordination Thread

Looks like M/C parking fees is not on the September 22 Works & Infrastructure Committee agenda. I'll keep an eye out for October.

We seldom see bikes in good numbers really. Toronto's not the most progressive in encouraging more efficient forms of transport. Do you believe that a cheaper toll would encourage more bikes on the road?

For comparison, a congestion study in Brussels (where lane filtering is legal) shows that when just %10 of cars are replaced by motorcycles or scooters there is a %63 reduction in total vehicle lost hours.
http://www.acem.eu/images/stories/doc/pressreleases/2011/PTW_Belgium_Study_FEBIAC_ENG.PDF

We seldom see bikes in good numbers really. Toronto's not the most progressive in encouraging more efficient forms of transport. Do you believe that a cheaper toll would encourage more bikes on the road?

I don't think a cheaper toll would make any significant difference.

For most people, bik purchase, insurance cost, and storage issues are significant impediments to adding a motorcycle to supplement the daily driver car or pick-up or SUV. For many, increased risk of death or injury only further serve to discourage becoming a rider.

Even for those who have no issues with cost or personal risk, how do you lure a typical downtown office or sales worker out of their comfortable, climate-controlled car/truck/SUV from which they can park and then walk out perfectly dressed and fresh for work? Much downtown employment is "suit" work. Many would find it necessary to change from riding gear into suitable office attire, possibly even needing to shower off sweat and road grime after a hot day's ride in.

I don't see lower tolls as providing any great incentive for out-of-town commuters to switch to a motorcycle.

agree with griff2. lower tolls would not be an incentive. faster commute times though, those would be an incentive for many people I imagine.
... now who do we talk to about filtering??? :p

seriously, i know filtering is a non-starter, even though it is my personal utopia.

the crux of the conversation is paying their fair share. Its tough to determine what a fair share is for each vehicle type. I don't mind paying, but as someone who lives and works below the 401 in the east end, there is no way to avoid the DVP and Gardiner most times. I can only hope that I get a break on my per-trip rates. I personally think that commuting into the city is the lions share of congestion, and trucks the largest contributor to wear. short hops by locals isnt a large contributor to wear or congestion, since I've effectively been trained to not use the DVP/Gardiner between 7:00a and 7:00p.

I will stop taking my motorcycle downtown and take my car. I will go out of my way to park at a private lot so the city gets zero revenue from me. If possible I will stay out of Toronto all together and give my business to other municipalities in the GTA. In the past two years I have reduced my trips into town to about 3 or 4 a year. It's not only the parking issue but maybe the councillors should look at the traffic on the DVP and Gardiner. It's not exactly inviting you into the city. Smaller vehicles will reduce the congestion and pollution and should be encouraged and also allowed to use the HOV lanes.

Looks like M/C parking fees is not on the November 12 Works & Infrastructure Committee agenda. I wonder it will show up in the middle of winter.

Most likely! they think we won't be paying attention through the winter.

No committee meeting in December. The next one is January 21.

Unless they want to bring it forward when they think we aren't paying attention!
They did that at our workplace. Sent a communication thursday to tell us we aren't allowed to park on the premise anymore due to pedestrian safety concerns.

In the meanwhile, there's probably 10% of the total amount of bikes we had parking here this summer (about 30-50) so it's not as easy to mobilize.
We we're consulted or warned whatsoever... So its basically that we're SOL for now unless we get to talk to the powers that be.

Nothing on the Thursday agenda. Next meeting is February 29th.

Nothing on the February 29th agenda. Next meeting is April 11th.

There are new fines instituted this week for on the sidewalks. I rarely park on the sidewalk, but occasionally I will pull my bike up against the building if I'm running In and out at night somewhere and there's no one around. It's gone up from $60 - $150, but that's for obstruct sidewalks.

Does anyone know if the bylaw that affects motorcycles parking on sidewalks is the same one that has seen this fine increase?

Thanks Andar.

Mark, here's the link to the parking fine increase staff report. The specific changes and By-law references are on the last page. Code #30 seems to be the one that is closest to parking on the public boulevard, but I'm not sure how it works if you are not blocking the actual sidewalk. The press releases refers to blocking bike lanes, but I'm not sure how that actually fits in either.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2015/pw/bgrd/backgroundfile-83445.pdf

Finally enjoying the warm weather! Was pleasantly surprised to enjoy the (still) free parking! Thanks for all the work Face!

Thanks guys. Just monitoring now, but we will need to mobilize quickly if it does appear on the agenda.

Nothing on the April 25th agenda. Next meeting is May 16th.

Back
Top Bottom