Motorcycle Parking Fee 2015 – Response Coordination Thread | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Parking Fee 2015 – Response Coordination Thread

So do you actually ride a scooter as well? Good call creating a connection on the Toronto Scooter Meetup site.
The thought crossed my mind but I never go on there and meetup.com sends annoying emails that I need to unsubscribe for.

Hell no. I'd rather ride a cruiser than a scooter
I had signed up on there long long time ago before betting back into riding a motorcycle. I must admit the thought of a scooter did cross my mind but I'm not enough of a hipster to pull it off.
We're talking the small scooters here. Not the big ones. I don't need macdoc coming after me

Hell no. I'd rather ride a cruiser than a scooter
I had signed up on there long long time ago before betting back into riding a motorcycle. I must admit the thought of a scooter did cross my mind but I'm not enough of a hipster to pull it off.
We're talking the small scooters here. Not the big ones. I don't need macdoc coming after me
Forget about macdoc. I'll find ya. Don't knock little bikes/scooters. They're slow as heck but can be a blast to ride in the core for the short commute and errand running. I miss the heck out of my R1 and my even my CX500, but my C70 is even easier to deal with for parking and maintenance. That meetup site is annoying though. Doesn't seem nearly as useful as GTAM.
PS. I'm no hipster. I'm just like you and everyone else here who loves to ride.
I'm just hindered right now for insurance so the C70 is all i could justify putting on the road right now.

This can't be just about free parking or people will ask why we get to park for free.

We need them to want to have more bikes and fewer cars, and by them letting us park for free, we reduce their traffic. This must be about why it's good for taxpayers who do not ride bikes.

The data talking about the growth in motorcycle licenses since no fee parking showed up is supportive that no fee parking encourages increased use of motorcycles. If we could quantify what that means for commuter bikes that would otherwise be another car, that would be helpful.

Mary Margaret said that I should take ttc if I don't want to pay for parking. I said ttc was terrible and I would drive my car instead of pay for bike parking. She asked why I don't then ride a bicycle, like she does, to work.

We can't make this about us. It has to be about what's best for the city. Is there data comparing a city with reduced pay by plate parking for bikes like vancouver to a city with free parking?

This is a great post DDean. I love the free parking but am hard pressed to defend it if I am totally honest. While I haven't collected all my thoughts into one cohesive discussion here are a few things I have in my head. There needs to be some framework about reduced rates, or if all spots are 'taken' by cars yet you still fit your bike in, or what if you pay for your spot and a car squeezes in? If we can fit 4 bikes into a spot, will parking be 1/4 the price? That seems fair, but is it really economical to verify all those miniscule payments? Can there be a phrasing in the by-law to err on the side of leniency by ticket officers? Bikes do contribute to traffic congestion with current laws, at least a bit. And we contribute to pollution and we take up parking spots from paying car drivers. Maybe we pay more for a registration sticker and that gives us free parking. Or when you register there is an optional $50 add on for free parking anywhere in Toronto - if pay by plate is enacted this would be trivial to do. Would it be so bad if we could park on boulevards within reason - we get free parking, cars get more spots, everyone is happy?

When I go and talk to anyone who is not getting free parking and ask them it never goes very well. Less pollution, sure. Less traffic, debatable. Smaller use of parking spaces, yes but not always. Can you frame that into 'FREE!'? This assuming there is a good way to show proof of payment for bikes - ie license plate payments with no paper for instance.

What I am getting at is that there are plenty of other options here. We should choose one that is fair and equitable yet still allows the councillors to feel we are paying for parking and is easy to enforce by the ticket officers. Once we have one and a good defense for the chosen option we all use that to email / discuss / promote and stick to it.

Am I way off base here? Should I be putting my flame suit on?

j

This is a great post DDean. I love the free parking but am hard pressed to defend it if I am totally honest. While I haven't collected all my thoughts into one cohesive discussion here are a few things I have in my head. There needs to be some framework about reduced rates, or if all spots are 'taken' by cars yet you still fit your bike in, or what if you pay for your spot and a car squeezes in? If we can fit 4 bikes into a spot, will parking be 1/4 the price? That seems fair, but is it really economical to verify all those miniscule payments? Can there be a phrasing in the by-law to err on the side of leniency by ticket officers? Bikes do contribute to traffic congestion with current laws, at least a bit. And we contribute to pollution and we take up parking spots from paying car drivers. Maybe we pay more for a registration sticker and that gives us free parking. Or when you register there is an optional $50 add on for free parking anywhere in Toronto - if pay by plate is enacted this would be trivial to do. Would it be so bad if we could park on boulevards within reason - we get free parking, cars get more spots, everyone is happy?

When I go and talk to anyone who is not getting free parking and ask them it never goes very well. Less pollution, sure. Less traffic, debatable. Smaller use of parking spaces, yes but not always. Can you frame that into 'FREE!'? This assuming there is a good way to show proof of payment for bikes - ie license plate payments with no paper for instance.

What I am getting at is that there are plenty of other options here. We should choose one that is fair and equitable yet still allows the councillors to feel we are paying for parking and is easy to enforce by the ticket officers. Once we have one and a good defense for the chosen option we all use that to email / discuss / promote and stick to it.

j
I don't know if I entirely agree, but I also don't think your far off and think you are making some decent suggestions.

I didnt mean to imply that I agree that we should pay, because I want free parking, but if we are to get anywhere with the City we need them to want more bikes commuting, not fewer.

Free parking encourages motorbike commuting. Charging 1/4 of a car's parking fee encourages it less. Charging full fee is not encouraging it.

This must be about why the City wants us to ride our bikes to work, and then once we have a compelling argument as to why they do, we tell them how to encourage us to do that.

We need to find the data to fit the argument that we want to put forth, but first we need to be clear on the argument. Free parking is not the argument. Reasons for increased bike commuters needs to be.

Ok, so an update in the news today about Parking at Green P lots. You can soon pay via Phone/tablets/computers for your parking.. just need to use the posted location ID. They say this will come to streetside parking soon too.. I bet each machine will be fitted with stickers of location codes.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1865394/city-of-toronto-launches-green-p-mobile-parking-app/

So here's a link to the fine print you agree to if you use the Green P Parking App. We need to pay attention to this, because they plan on using this platform to start charging motorcycles.

http://mobilepay.greenp.com/terms-conditions/

Some key points:

- You agree to provide them with "your registration data, including, without limitation, your name, address, license plate number, mobile telephone number, business details (if relevant), email address and method of payment details";

- "You agree that the TPA may collect and use technical and usage data and related information, including but not limited to technical information about your device, date and time of Platform access, system and application software, and peripherals"

- "Parking rates may be subject to change and it is your responsibility to ensure that you are paying at the then current parking rate. You agree to pay all fees for Parking Services provided to you pursuant to this Agreement";

-"The TPA shall process the parking fee from the funds available in your pre-funded account and/or charging your stored method of payment to replenish your account funds or directly pay for your parking transaction at the time of your parking transaction. You must have a valid method of payment registered and/or sufficient funds in your pre-funded account, or suspension of Parking Services may occur";

- "The TPA is not responsible for any fines, parking tickets, penalty notices and the enforcement of vehicle parking related offenses you incur or receive regardless of whether or not you receive any notification via the Mobile Parking Payment Platform that the vehicle is validly parked";

- "You are solely responsible for resolving with the relevant authorities any issues that you may have regarding the issuance of fines, parking tickets, penalty notices or your vehicle being impounded";

- "in the event that you fail to pay any amounts owing for the Parking Services (whether due to a declined credit card or other circumstances), then the TPA, upon the reasonable request of the relevant authorities, may provide all or a portion of your information collected by the TPA to such authorities, which you acknowledge and agree that they may use solely for purposes of collecting or attempting to collect any unpaid amounts owed by you";

- "From time to time we may update this Platform and this Agreement. Your use of this Platform after we post any changes to this Agreement constitutes your agreement to those changes. You agree to review this Agreement periodically to ensure that you are familiar with the most recent version."

So basically you give them all your info, access to your credit card and a stash of your money, they automatically withdraw funds, and if you get a ticket or towed, they can give the authorities all your data to track you down and defend their case. Oh, and they can record and use your personal data.

j

Based on my discussions with staff and reading into the report, this is what I expect will happen when they bring a by-law to Committee sometime this year:

- They will charge bikes the same rate as cars in street spaces across the entire city

- They will have machines with reduced rates for motorcycles (either 1/2 or 1/4 what a car pays) next to the 300 dedicated motorcycle spaces downtown

- They will program the app so that motorcycles can pay a reduced rate (either 1/2 or 1/4 what a car pays) across the rest of the city, but we get this only if we have a smart phone, have a data plan, live in Ontario (check the fine print) and agree to all the conditions your are obligated to if you use the app

- They will do it this way because to set up every machine in the city with a 2-rate structure, it will cost much more than they will ever recover.

When the by-law was passed back in 2005, they stated the following reasons:

- "the City of Toronto should do all it can to encourage its residents to use environmentally-friendly modes of transportation, and not penalize them;

- Canada is committed to the Kyoto protocol;

- motorcycles use up to 90 percent less gasoline than a regular car or truck;

- motorcycles are significantly smaller than other vehicles, use far less road space, thus helping to reduce gridlock, and occupy less parking space when parked at an angle to the curb;

- motorcycle operators in Toronto currently experience significant parking problems because other motorists often steal their Pay and Display parking receipts;

- the theft of a motorcycle operator’s Pay and Display receipt often results in the rider receiving a parking ticket;

- the above situations dissuade motorcycle operators from using their more environmentally-friendly vehicles."

The only thing that is changing since 2005, is that the problem with pay-&-display tickets will disappear. I have no problem with treating motorcycles fairly. By that I mean charging us a rate that is proportional to the space we take, and giving us all the same options to pay that rate as car drivers have. But as a taxpayer, I have a big problem if the system needed to be fair costs the City $1 dollar for every 2 cents of extra income that it will earn (just my guess at the relative cost to equip the entire city with 2-rate machines and the extra revenue that now charging motorcycles will earn).

So if it isn't realistic to treat everyone fairly, based on the reasons stated back in 2005 (other than ticket theft), the benefit should fall to the motorcycles. But that is not what I expect they will propose. Instead I expect that they will put greater obligations upon riders, only so that they can start charging us. And given that the status quo is that motorcycles have had free parking for the past 10 years, and that program is working to meet the reasons it was put in place (motorcycle registration in the city has almost doubled while car registration has remained flat), I think what they are doing is both shortsighted and wrong.

Last edited:
I didnt mean to imply that I agree that we should pay, because I want free parking, but if we are to get anywhere with the City we need them to want more bikes commuting, not fewer.

Free parking encourages motorbike commuting. Charging 1/4 of a car's parking fee encourages it less. Charging full fee is not encouraging it.

This must be about why the City wants us to ride our bikes to work, and then once we have a compelling argument as to why they do, we tell them how to encourage us to do that.

We need to find the data to fit the argument that we want to put forth, but first we need to be clear on the argument. Free parking is not the argument. Reasons for increased bike commuters needs to be.

I didn't mean to mis-characterize your post. But the part about having difficulty convincing Mary-Margaret is how I think what non riders will be like, in fact that is my experience too.

j

Last edited:
The only thing that is changing since 2005, is that the problem with pay-&-display tickets will disappear. I have no problem with treating motorcycles fairly. By that I mean charging us a rate that is proportional to the space we take, and giving us all the same options to pay that rate as car drivers have. But as a taxpayer, I have a big problem if the system needed to be fair costs the City $1 dollar for every 2 cents of extra income that it will earn (just my guess at the relative cost to equip the entire city with 2-rate machines and the extra revenue that now charging motorcycles will earn).

So if it isn't realistic to treat everyone fairly, based on the reasons stated back in 2005 (other than ticket theft), the benefit should fall to the motorcycles. But that is not what I expect they will propose. Instead I expect that they will put greater obligations upon riders, only so that they can start charging us. And given that the status quo is that motorcycles have had free parking for the past 10 years, and that program is working to meet the reasons it was put in place (motorcycle registration in the city has almost doubled while car registration has remained flat), I think what they are doing is both shortsighted and wrong.
I can't be the only one then who finds this very frustrating. I agree with you Face​.

And thats with current stats staying the same. Problem is, registration rates wont be increasing as fast anymore with enforced pay parking. People will end up using their cars. And the 2-tier pay program will be deemed useless as "it won't be used as much as expected".

Out of all the advantages/disadvantages mentioned above, only 2 are taken care of by having the pay-by-plate system. Now i guess it's up to us to find studies and data supporting the benefits of increased ridership which will help enforce current incentives put in place for riders but also open doors to possible new ones.

Because between the environment, traffic de-congestion arguments, other factors they don't have any control over also hinder ridership (high insurance rates, higher level of danger for the rider, canadian weather making it unprofitable, etc.) So that can help the financial aspect of 'why free moto parking is a nice break for riders.'
At the same time, although there is no study to that effect we can try to look into indicating that riders are better road users in general (cant be texting on your phone, eating your happy meal, fiddling with your radio) making roads safer...

What im trying to say is i think we have to concentrate on making our point that "more riders = better" in order for them to agree upon incentives to increase rider numbers...

Noticed the riders downtown again this week.. :) As it warms up, I expect to see the parking areas filling up again.

So parking is still free for us? How are the roads in the core? Thinking about riding down to MEC in a bit too pick something up but I haven't been down there in awhile.

So parking is still free for us? How are the roads in the core? Thinking about riding down to MEC in a bit too pick something up but I haven't been down there in awhile.

yep. All good during the day. Morning and Late Afternoons traffic builds up. Nice day outside.. saw a few scooters this morning. Going for a walk soon

Parking at the moment is still free for motorcycles and scooters from what I gather. The roads downtown are still pretty knarly, lots of dust, salt and gravel/sand. LOL, who knows how many new potholes have popped up :S

PS: Petition signed and subbed this thread!!!

yep. All good during the day. Morning and Late Afternoons traffic builds up. Nice day outside.. saw a few scooters this morning. Going for a walk soon
Thanks for the info!
Parking at the moment is still free for motorcycles and scooters from what I gather. The roads downtown are still pretty knarly, lots of dust, salt and gravel/sand. LOL, who knows how many new potholes have popped up :S

PS: Petition signed and subbed this thread!!!
Roads were great, actually. A couple places to watch out for a bit of sand / salt. More traffic than I would've liked.

Manhole covers seem more sunken than usual. Hit a few bad ones that my rims probably aren't too pleased with.

Otherwise I had a great time out for a couple hours running some errands. Took awhile to get the bike started (2 stroke, low on gas, no stabilizer, no battery tender, stored outdoors all winter).

"Just shut up and take TTC" - most people.
"They gave me ticket on Yonge during rush hour. Didn't thy notice the four ways were on?" - some of those people.
"F... your motorbikes" - the rest of the people.

I wrote my local Councillor (Joe Cressy) and included the reasons stated below. The response I received from his office is that they were unaware of any upcoming vote to change the by-law, however, it was a temporary concession. They also stated that environmental impacts would be considered if the by-law is re-addressed (I mentioned that my other transportation is an SUV and that I would likely drive it more if motorcycle parking was no longer free).

So my suggestion to everyone in this forum: write your councillor. Let them know your opinion.

When the by-law was passed back in 2005, they stated the following reasons:

- "the City of Toronto should do all it can to encourage its residents to use environmentally-friendly modes of transportation, and not penalize them;

- Canada is committed to the Kyoto protocol;

- motorcycles use up to 90 percent less gasoline than a regular car or truck;

- motorcycles are significantly smaller than other vehicles, use far less road space, thus helping to reduce gridlock, and occupy less parking space when parked at an angle to the curb;

- motorcycle operators in Toronto currently experience significant parking problems because other motorists often steal their Pay and Display parking receipts;

- the theft of a motorcycle operator’s Pay and Display receipt often results in the rider receiving a parking ticket;

- the above situations dissuade motorcycle operators from using their more environmentally-friendly vehicles."

Subbed. Sorry for the late arrival, waking up from winter hibernation <yawn>. Let us know when the public consultation will be! I'll write up a short note with a link to this thread to leave with any bikes or scooters I see on the street.

Keep emailing your Councillor's. I had the same response with mine (Janet Davis) that she doesn't seem to have a clue that this is being looked at. Very frustrating trying to convince them that this is an issue. The more emails they get regarding it - the more they may actually take a moment to check it out!

Subbed. Sorry for the late arrival, waking up from winter hibernation <yawn>. Let us know when the public consultation will be! I'll write up a short note with a link to this thread to leave with any bikes or scooters I see on the street.

No public consultation is expected. They will simply bring it to Public Works & Infrastructure Committee. We will find out when the agenda goes on line, which is 5 days before the Committee meeting. Remaining possible dates this year are:

[h=3]November 12, 2015 - 9:30 AM - Meeting 8 - Scheduled[/h][h=3]October 7, 2015 - 9:30 AM - Meeting 7 - Scheduled[/h][h=3]September 2, 2015 - 9:30 AM - Meeting 6 - Scheduled[/h][h=3]June 17, 2015 - 9:30 AM - Meeting 5 - Scheduled[/h][h=3]May 13, 2015 - 9:30 AM - Meeting 4 - Scheduled[/h][h=3]April 9, 2015 - 9:30 AM - Meeting 3 - Scheduled[/h]

Keep emailing your Councillor's. I had the same response with mine (Janet Davis) that she doesn't seem to have a clue that this is being looked at. Very frustrating trying to convince them that this is an issue. The more emails they get regarding it - the more they may actually take a moment to check it out!

I'm not surprised that most Councillors aren't aware. Staff have been doing a good job of keeping this under wraps. I suspect they are hoping that Councillors will stay oblivious & just go with the flow & support the recommendations when they come forward. Rebel & Handy, good job on bringing awareness. The more, the better!

Back
Top Bottom