Elio: Gas 3 wheeled "Car" | GTAMotorcycle.com

Elio: Gas 3 wheeled "Car"

TorontoBoy

Divorced dad wanted to stop commuting in his minivan, so he created the Elio

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...nivan-so-he-created-the-elio/article22743923/

03.jpg

Pledging 2.9 litres/100 km highway/4.8 litres/100 km city, and a sticker price of $6,800 (U.S.), the Elio had been scheduled to roll out in the United States later this year, thereafter in Canada. Production’s been pushed to 2016 as the company looks for up to $185-million in financing.

Performance: Elio commissioned German company IAV to develop a new 0.9-litre, three-cylinder internal combustion engine, which is to be demonstrated in Plymouth, Mich., on Feb 6...The emphasis is on manufacturing simplicity and fuel efficiency. Elio claims the vehicle will go from 0-to-100 km/h in less than 10 seconds with top speed greater than 160 km/h.

http://www.eliomotors.com/

The web site seems a bit sketchy because it has no tech specs for the vehicle. At 2.9L/100km, that's 33 kms/litre, which seems an awful lot for a 900cc engine. I call a gross over estimation. I'd say a 250cc Ninja would get this type of mileage.

Has anyone heard of this vehicle before?

Economy may be right.
A Ninja 900 wouldn't get that kind of mileage, but it's tuned for 140 hp.
If the 900cc motor were tuned for 40 hp, I am sure it could get twice the economy a Ninja would. Furthermore, an average 4 door sedan is significantly more aerodynamic than a sportbike- this 3 wheeled abortion is probably alot more aerodynamic than a typical 4 door sedan as well, further contributing to economy claims.

It's not going to happen.

This thing has been vaporware for years, and the company has missed deadline after deadline, and all indications are that they will run out of money before a production vehicle ever sees the light of day. Their sales estimate and cash flow projections are, ummm, a tad optimistic.

Their current start-of-production date is mid 2016 (which they just delayed a year). Two years ago, it was sometime in 2014, which has come and gone.

The rest of the automotive industry is working on tooling for model year 2017 vehicles right now (I am ...), and they're already a good chunk of the way through validation testing on the vehicle itself. Elio is not at that point.

not the first 3 wheeler to come to market. Until they can get through all the regulation hurdles, this is nothing more than a fun toy for those futurologists.

Looks like the 3 wheel sports cars that are out there without a roof. The passenger better be a smaller person. Don't think there will be much room for anyone above midget...

Price seems nice so far, but again that's in USD. With a release date of 2016 in Canada, it will be interesting to see how our dollar is doing at that time and what the gas price will be also.

I watched a few of the videos on the car and it sounds nice. I'd like to see one and drive it around for sure. The one thing that stick out is the how they show the car in the snow. Those were plowed roads and not your typical driving scenarios. I don't think this will do so well in the Canadian winters. Maybe if we put studded tires onto the car?

It's not going to happen.

This thing has been vaporware for years, and the company has missed deadline after deadline, and all indications are that they will run out of money before a production vehicle ever sees the light of day. Their sales estimate and cash flow projections are, ummm, a tad optimistic.

Their current start-of-production date is mid 2016 (which they just delayed a year). Two years ago, it was sometime in 2014, which has come and gone.

The rest of the automotive industry is working on tooling for model year 2017 vehicles right now (I am ...), and they're already a good chunk of the way through validation testing on the vehicle itself. Elio is not at that point.
They don't need to do validation testing because it's not a car. Emissions and crash standards don't apply (though the company has pledged to meet those standards, it's not required for validation).

I like the idea, there's definitely an opportunity with the legal loopholes around 3-wheel vehicles for something cheap and safe. Some middle ground between a bike and a car. But the market may not be substantial enough to sustain a one-model manufacturer at anything other than at luxury prices. And in this case, they do seem to be over promising as you say, if you look critically at the price/safety/fuel efficiency claims.

They seem to be making all the most optimistic assumptions to found their claims on, including massive production volumes. They got an old GM assembly factory for cheap, with help from different levels of government, back when the economic crisis hit and people were a bit panicky about the future. Now that the economy is chugging along (and gas is cheap) I can't really see this being a strong draw with car buyers.

Vapourware? Probably, but more due to overly optimistic execution than the validity of the concept itself.

They don't need to do validation testing because it's not a car. Emissions and crash standards don't apply (though the company has pledged to meet those standards, it's not required for validation).

Validation testing is a lot more than demonstrating that it meets legal requirements. (and motorcycles DO have emission standards, they're just not the same).

It also includes things like:
Making sure the engine performs properly and has acceptable durability. It's brand new ... there's no experience with it.
Making sure the engine starts and runs properly in -40 and +40, and below sea level in Death Valley and at high altitude like Pikes Peak, and that the transmission works properly in all temperature extremes. (They haven't even announced a transmission supplier yet.)
Making sure the vehicle itself works properly when it's cold, hot, raining, or snowing.
Making sure the suspension doesn't fall apart when driven on bumpy roads.
Making sure the vehicle remains stable when driven in extreme conditions. If you don't do that, lawyers follow.
Noise, vibration, harshness, getting rid of squeaks and rattles.
Verifying that all of the electronics work properly in every conceivable circumstance.
The door latches and locks have to survive thousands of openings and slammings and lockings. Cold, hot, wet, freeze/thaw, car washes, dust storms. It all has to work.
The wiper motor and linkage has to survive thousands of hours of use, wet, dry, frozen solid with its output seized because the windscreen is frozen, etc.
The heater has to work in Alaska. The defogger has to work in Maine. The air conditioning has to work in Arizona.

And on, and on, and on.

This vehicle might classify as a motorcycle, but he wants it to have airbags and have good collision performance. Means even though the government might not require it ... it has to be tested. The airbags have to fire off when they should. And they have to NOT fire off when they shouldn't - like when you go over the worst bumpy road you can imagine.

It's expensive, it's time-consuming, and unless you want a lot of really angry customers, expensive warranty claims, and the bad reputation that follows ... you have to do it.

Established vehicle manufacturers can short-cut some of the real-world testing because they have the experience to know what's needed, new vehicles are usually built on a lot of existing components that are already validated (engines, transmissions, wiper motors, door latches, etc) and they have test rigs that can put the vehicle through a lot of abuse in a shorter time.

This thing is being developed from square one (which I think is a big mistake), which means they can't short-cut it.

Actually, that's why they have to short-cut it and it's why it will have tons of problems if it ever makes it to market.

As for the testing, if none of it is mandated by government (OK, California emissions), then they're not going to report the state of advancement of their development. I don't know how you'd know where they're at unless you worked for them.

The Elio situation is well documented elsewhere on the internet. It doesn't take a whole lot of due diligence to get a rather fair idea of what's going on.

I know enough about internal combustion engines to cast a wary suspicion on their 84 mpg US claim, I work in the auto industry and I have an idea how long it takes to get things done and what it costs.

The Elio situation is well documented elsewhere on the internet. It doesn't take a whole lot of due diligence to get a rather fair idea of what's going on.

I know enough about internal combustion engines to cast a wary suspicion on their 84 mpg US claim, I work in the auto industry and I have an idea how long it takes to get things done and what it costs.

Amen. Trikes are just an ineffective format for mass market vehicles (ELIO's proclaimed goal). Perhaps North America needs it's own Reliant Robin to disabuse them of the notion.

Seems like another dreamer that is out of touch with reality. If they built a parts bin car (maybe nc700 drivetrain?) they would have a chance of getting it on the road. Anyone that thinks they are going to design/build an engine from scratch and immediately go into volume production for low priced vehicles is nuts.

I'm interested in this thing, I'd have one. Its not new, Morgan built three wheelers in the UK for decades and they actually had a race series for three wheels in europe.
Problem I'd see are current crash tests if they apply may be tough
Using an existing engine platform would get this to market for millions less
I bet Bombardier already has drawings on the board for a canopied version of the 3 wheeler they make
Its doable, lots of weirdos build vehicles
By 2016 the $6,800. US price might mean $14,500 CDN.

Last edited:
Has no one designed a fully enclosed skin for a Spyder?

Cabin Motorcycles
The Monotracer is the newer, redesigned and updated version, has BMW K1200 power with 130 hp, 14 gallons of fuel on board, tops out at 155 mph and at a steady 75 mph gets 47 mpg.

The new Monotracer is priced at 52,000 Euros, ($73,500), so it's out of reach of a lot of buyers but, exclusivity can be a strong attraction.

47mpg = 20kph, much more realistic than 33kpl.

Elio's claim is that it will have better fuel economy (they've stated 84 mpg highway). That claim has pre-dated the existence of their prototype powertrain by a couple of years - they still haven't stated exactly what they're going to use for a transmission (vague descriptions don't count), and that means their 84 mpg is a SWAG, not a properly tested claim with real world testing to back it up.

Can Am Spyders don't get fantastic mileage, nor do they claim to.

My friends father in law who lices in Miami has put his deposit down. I'm sure I'll hear if it's any good.

As the Canadian laws stands today wouldn't you be required to wear a helmet? Helmet indoors comes with negative stereotypes.

That isn't something I'd like to be seen around in, it looks kind of dorky. Are there any more pictures of it around, or is it just that white psudo-science fiction colour scheme.

Tons of pictures if you searched. That one is actually one of the more flattering angles.

Back
Top Bottom