ABS with non OEM tires | GTAMotorcycle.com

ABS with non OEM tires

Xrayhonda

The manual for the bike states that
“It is important to follow the tire recommendation because the combined ABS (front and rear brakes) computer works by comparing wheel speed. Incorrect tires can affect wheel speed and confuse the system.”
The recommend tire size for my rear is 190/50 and I went with 190/55. I’ve also included the info. I’ve read from the web with respect to 190/50 vs. 190/55.
“50 is FLATTER, so it has a bigger contact patch when UPRIGHT, smaller contact patch when leaned over. 55 is taller so it has a bigger contact patch when leaned over. 55 turns in quicker, increases rear ride height by a few mm which increases rake which also makes the bike turn quicker. 55 also has a slightly larger diameter which compensates a bit for the inaccurate stock speedo.”
Basically what I’m trying to find out is with the tire profile change, how much will it affect the ABS or should I just pull the fuse and let the system revert to the standard brake system?

Most ABS systems - I don't know about yours - can deal with rolling diameters a few (3-ish) percent different from standard.

Some of the good ones - again, I don't know about yours - use adaptive logic that memorizes the wheel speed relationship under circumstances when it knows they should be accurate, as long as it is with a somewhat larger percentage of what it "should" be, and if it is out of tolerance, it will fault out (and let you know about it).

Theoretical rolling diameter of 190/50-17 = 621.8 mm. Theoretical rolling diameter of 190/55-17 = 640.8 mm, almost exactly 3% larger.

Most likely, it will be fine.

If it isn't ... It will let you know, by turning on the ABS failure warning lamp very shortly after you start moving, and reverting to a default mode, which is probably "ABS off", although it might be "ABS still on but with reduced functionality".

No warning lamp within a couple kilometers of starting to ride? Should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom