Brake fluid reservoir | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Brake fluid reservoir

wow, i know brakes are important, just ask Dean, but i have never had to service my brakes other than pads and clean the pistons( sbs duel carbons are messy), if you are getting fade at any time, maybe there is something else that needs attention. its a sealed system no?

Both the bikes I ride are known for having brake fade.

I had to bleed the zx10 twice last year so it isn't a big deal.

wow, i know brakes are important, just ask Dean, but i have never had to service my brakes other than pads and clean the pistons( sbs duel carbons are messy), if you are getting fade at any time, maybe there is something else that needs attention. its a sealed system no?

Fresh brake fluid now and again does make a difference ... I will admit to having neglected it for too long but changing it out and getting the brake caliper pistons cleaned up makes a difference. From now on, once a season or as required. 60 hp bike means not having to use them as much. Probably good to clean up the caliper pistons any time you have to change pads. That reminds me, my car is due, too.

Bleeding the system takes 10 min tops - I am not talking about a full fluid flush, just ensuring there are no bubbles. It also helps me look at the components a little closer and ensure everything is ok. Sometimes we rush to get the bike on the trailer and load up and I find when I schedule this type of maintenance, allows me to stop, think, check and then rush to load the bike.

I have done some stupid things while rushing to get to the track because I didn't have this type of pre-track day maintenance schedule.

Wow. Must be something wrong with the brakes they put on Japanese bikes. I change the fluid at the beginning of the season and that's it. Never see any change in performance and I think I brake pretty hard (?). 4 piston / 4 pad brembos with SS lines and crappy non-radial master. Stock Brembo disks, not even full floaters. Life doesn't have to be hard.

I think my bike in 5th gear is going a little faster than yours so I'd be asking just a little more from my system.

True. Actually a lot faster. And the physics part of my brain just kicked in and reminded me that the energy you need to dissipate is the square of the velocity. So if you are going 120% as fast you have 144% of the kinetic energy to turn into heat. Quite a difference.

On my 88 gsxr1100, I can have the brakes overheating in about 6 laps at tmp if I'm pushing hard. On my 09 since I put braketech rotors on, I haven't had any fade at all, but I still bleed a bit out after every weekend. Just to be confident I won't have issues at the track.

Back
Top Bottom