Brake fluid reservoir | GTAMotorcycle.com

Brake fluid reservoir

Xrayhonda

Just got a used track bike that came with a clear plastic tube instead of a brake resevoir, I've never seen or heard of this before, is it safe and is anyone else using this setup?

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

You can buy cheap reservoirs from Dave @ Comp Cycle in Whitby he sells them.

Personally for piece of mind i would want a reservoir.

That's awful. Please give the bike a thorough inspection to see if their are any other dumb things like that!

The Brembo mini reservoir and Ladybird reservoir stay are a great combo and not very spendy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's usually only done for the rear brake. I can't say I've ever seen that for a front brake and I would not use that.

Mini resivour and lady bird. Bleeding the brakes is a pain in the *** with the smaller resivour.

Last edited:
No fluid reservoir is an old superbike trick. Problem is with modern brakes, more heat and more pressure and the reservoir allows proper expansion of the fluid.

I had that on one of my bikes and the fluid blew through the seals on my Brembo after a couple of laps.

Do not run without a proper front reservoir!!!

Just got a used track bike that came with a clear plastic tube instead of a brake resevoir, I've never seen or heard of this before, is it safe and is anyone else using this setup?

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2
I use that setup on my rear brake but not my front

What benefit does that give?
Just a way of eliminating the reservoir, in my case I have the adjustment for the rear shock in the spot where the reservoir would go so using this method allowed me to have more space in that area. It is a pain in the *** when you are trying to bleed the rear brakes.

I would never use that for the front brake.

Forgive me, I ride in the dirt.

Why would you want to get rid of the reservoir?

Cool. I thought you'd need the reservoir so the fluid doesn't get too hot.

That's usually only done for the rear brake. I can't say I've ever seen that for a front brake and I would not use that.

Mini resivour and lady bird. Bleeding the brakes is a pain in the *** with the smaller resivour.

How often do you guys bleed your front brakes anyway? Once each season or is it part of your check list before each race weekend, or simply based on feel after a particularly grueling or hot race weekend?

Before each race weekend.

How often do you guys bleed your front brakes anyway? Once each season or is it part of your check list before each race weekend, or simply based on feel after a particularly grueling or hot race weekend?

If its a heavy braking track, after every race. Or as soon as I feel fade in a race its time to bleed. If the fluid in calipers has boiled its toast.

You're ambitious
My end of season last year included 3 race weekends in a row (GB - Shannonville - GB) and I got in the habit of doing it. I find that confidence on my brakes (even if the work is over kill) helps me a long way to achieve better results .

I am not saying it is necessary, but it is a good habit IMO

Last edited:
As soon as I feel fade. It's not a full flush just 5-6 bleeds per caliper or until the fluid looks clean again. With the mini resivour thats usually one resivour of fluid per side.

At the beginning of each season is a full system flush.

Exactly like dricked said however to add 1 point. If you don't have the same brake fluid that is in there, or you don't know what is in there, then I flush the whole system.

As soon as I feel fade. It's not a full flush just 5-6 bleeds per caliper or until the fluid looks clean again. With the mini resivour thats usually one resivour of fluid per side.

At the beginning of each season is a full system flush.

Back
Top Bottom