a hypothetical question | GTAMotorcycle.com

a hypothetical question

Xrayhonda

In Ontario, you’re allowed to ride a motorcycle on private property without insurance. If someone were to trailer their track bike to say a mall/factory parking lot (not saying to do this, it’s just a hypothetical question lol) and test ride it, would that be ok? I’m assuming the mall/factory parking lot is private property. I would be obeying the speed limit in the parking lot and just shaking the cobwebs out of the bike. Just got a used track bike that I didn’t get a real chance to test ride. So far I’ve changed the tires (q3), but I still need to change the pads and the clip-ons. The clip-ons that came with the bike are so low that my hands are almost touching the fairing; newbie is playing it safe.

The insurance exemption only applies to your own private property, not someone else's. You can get away without insurance at a track because the facility or organizer has a blanket policy for those types of activities

If you know someone that owns a parking lot or industrial type property maybe you could ask permission first. Other than that it would likely depend if someone were to complain and then it would depend on what kind of cop shows up. You can't really test much at parking lot speeds so I would just be safe and wait until your first trackday, you can slowly ride around the pits to make sure the major things are working correctly and then hit the track to see how the suspension and such feels. Most people tend to take it easy the first session, especially the first of the year and even more so if you are riding green/beginner group(you'll likely be out with a control rider the first part of the day.)

The insurance exemption only applies to your own private property, not someone else's. You can get away without insurance at a track because the facility or organizer has a blanket policy for those types of activities

not quite, you can ride on ANY private property - perhaps a friend or relatives property (with their permission.)

I’m not telling you to do one thing or the other, but the way the Trespass to Property Act works is that a landlord, or agent of the landlord has to tell you to leave if they don’t want you there. If there is a “no trespassing” sign, that is the same as their notification, then a cop or landlord can have you charged under the TPA with trespassing.

Security at a mall, or industrial park could ask you to leave. If you pack up, and comply, there's nothing they can charge you with. If you stay, and be an *** to them; then yeah, you’ve got a problem.

Dangerous driving is an hta offense. They could nail you when you head back onto a public road.

Jamie, have you been nailed with this in a private lot???

Me and a few buds trailered dirtbikes to some industrial areas, got the cops called on us, cops came, proved we trailered the bikes here and had no intention of riding them on the roads, and left us alone to do our thing.

Depends on the cop though, so be careful.

Thanks for the info. We'll see what happens in the summer when I trailer my bike to the lot. Like I said before, I bough a track bike and I didn't get a chance to ride it; just want to ride it before I bring it to the track. I'll also be changing the clip-ons and this way I can adjust them etc.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

Don't you have a quiet road around your house, we all test ride our race bikes for small things like clip on adjustment etc. Just make sure you wear a helmet and don't go fast as that will attract attention, there is always the posibility of a cop going by then you are in serious trouble but like i said most of us do it

I have to say, I don't see a need for this. Does the motor run and rev okay? Does the gearbox feel okay when you click through the gears? Brake lever high and tight? Clutch disengage? Steering head bearings feel good?

What will you discover in a parking lot that you couldn't discover during the first 20 minutes after you unload the bike at a track day? Bring some tools and make your adjustments between sessions. There's plenty of time.

Just my 2 cents. I'd never take a track bike on a public road.

I need to do some testing before getting the bike out on the track. Unfortunately the ignition issues only occur when bike is thoroughly warm and at WOT. I can't do this (discretely) out on quiet public roads. May have to trailer the bike to a T&T day at a dragstrip.

I have to say, I don't see a need for this. Does the motor run and rev okay? Does the gearbox feel okay when you click through the gears? Brake lever high and tight? Clutch disengage? Steering head bearings feel good?

What will you discover in a parking lot that you couldn't discover during the first 20 minutes after you unload the bike at a track day? Bring some tools and make your adjustments between sessions. There's plenty of time.

Just my 2 cents. I'd never take a track bike on a public road.

If I'm driving 2hrs to the track I prefer to have everything ready when I get there. I take my bike around the neighborhood at a normal speed with my helmet on. I don't do it before every weekend but once or twice a season there's somthing I feel needs to be checked that can be checked at a normal safe speed.

The reason why I want to ride the bike before my track day is because I want to make sure the bike is safe. The clip-ons are too low, the clutch cable feels like its rubbing on something when I pull it in; my 2008 1000RR is very smooth and easy to pull in vs. the track bike. This might be attributed to a sharp bend in the cable to accommodate the low clip-ons. The brake reservoir for the front brake is just a plastic tube and I’m not comfortable with this, so I want to change it to the regular brake reservoir. I also have several minor things to change and since I’m going to be off for 3 months, I want to tackle them now and make sure the bike is ok before my first track day.
All I want to do during my first track day is to concentrate on riding the bike and applying what I’ve learned from Twist of the wrist ll.
With respect to riding a track bike on public roads, the consequences are too great, my insurance is already high and if I got caught, it would be like shooting myself in the foot and selling my track bike for $25.

Just a newbie playing it safe.lol

So, clip-on height, clutch cable, brake reservoir.

Not one of those requires the bike to be moving, or even running to sort. Same goes for steering head bearings, brake pads, rotors, wheel balance, tire pressures, chain adjustment, sprocket wear, and positions of any of the controls. You might want to start it and turn the steering full lock each way to make sure that doesn't actuate the throttle. Set the sag in the suspension. Do a bounce test to get a starting point on the damping adjustments. Run the thing up to temperature and check for leaks. Make sure it revs smoothly, especially off of closed throttle.

Riding around in circles in a sand-covered parking lot is not going to show you much that you can't learn from the above. Admit it - you're just horny to ride the thing.

Lol, every day when walk by it, I just stop for about 3 sec. and say oh yeaaaas.:)

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom