M Licence - M2 exit course or Drive test Centre | GTAMotorcycle.com

M Licence - M2 exit course or Drive test Centre

Did mine in Brantford. Only way I could see someone failing is if you were an incompetent rider.

I did the drive test centre in Toronto. The test is a joke, I don't think it's possible to fail unless you deliberately try to. This coming from a guy with terrible riding habits.

I did the drive test centre in Toronto. The test is a joke, I don't think it's possible to fail unless you deliberately try to. This coming from a guy with terrible riding habits.
Good to know. I'll be in the same boat soon. Anyone who's taken the test actually get any type of insurance discount? Also for lazy buggers like me, what does the M road test consist of in terms of riding location and route for Toronto? Or does it always change? I know I've taken the M1 Exit/M2 course with RTI in Toronto twice which is course for riders of "all levels" and you've got to be a pretty bad rider/be incapable of riding to fail.

thanks. thats what i was worried about. bad habits.

I did my ministry test in Lindsay...didn't even have to do the highway portion as there is no highway nearby:)

It was pretty easy.

I've been debating the same thing for a little while. I think I have decided to go with m2x in Newmarket with RTI. Hopefully they will fix any bad habits I may have developed. I plan on taking some type of riding course every 4-5 years after.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Did mine at Downsview last summer. Super easy if you ain't got any bad habits.

I think I have decided to go with m2x in Newmarket with RTI. Hopefully they will fix any bad habits I may have developed.

Sweet.. I didn't know there was a course in Newmarket.. I'd rather go there than the City ones.. I have to get mine this summer as well.

RTI should give GTAM members a discount lol. Actual members who have been here and have actually got posts, not people who just join for a discount, or to ask one question, pm someone or see our forum that they can't see publicly or whatever.

There will always be debate about test center vs. course - and it really depends on the individual, and the question being posed:
"Should I take course?"
"Do I need to take a course?"
"Will I learn anything from a course?"
"Is the test hard?"

People get different things out of training. One thing I've found on the forum is that many people feel the training courses or the instructors aren't teaching "real world" skills, that the concepts may be fine in theory, they just don't apply in the real world. So it's great to help you pass the test and get an insurance discount, but no good for riding in the city.
I've been teaching basic rider training for 26 years. I've been teaching and testing M2 Exit for about 20 years (whenever it started, we were the first college doing it). I'm qualified to train and recertify other examiners....and I commute daily from March through December to downtown Toronto applying the skills I teach. We're not safety zealots - we're instructors that encourage people to learn certain techniques and principles, but more importantly learn how and when to apply them. They are based on real world experience. Our instructors are riders that have learned to teach, not teachers who have been handed a curriculum.

On the other hand, there are a lot of skilled riders who have never taken any kind of formal training. I'm an advocate for learning - and some people can do very well without a formal structure, for others I think it's almost a necessity. The only one that can really decide if you should take a course is you...but that has to be based on an honest analysis of your skills and confidence, and that's difficult to do without a frame of reference.

Where did you guys do your M Licence test? did you take M2 exit course ($400+) or you just book it at the Drive test Centre ($75)
what do you guys recommend?

I took it through the Drive Test Center; I had around 35,000km saddle time before doing it. Mind you, I have a full G. If you don't have a full G and have never taken a G course, take the M2 exit course (it will teach you stuff you need to know for avoiding accidents).

If you don't take the M2 exit course, look into Total Control for further rider development.

I was planning on doing the test at the Barrie location. I'm leaving for Hawaii on April 10th and wants to have my full M for the trip. Sadly, I was told that they aren't booking appointments until later in April and it is all weather based.

This is the info I just got from calling the Drive Centre phone number - (888) 570 - 6110. The chick couldn't even get me into contact with someone to make arrangements to get my full M before the trip. Now sadly I won't be able to ride while I'm down there... I was really looking forward to doing that with the woman.

I was planning on doing the test at the Barrie location. I'm leaving for Hawaii on April 10th and wants to have my full M for the trip. Sadly, I was told that they aren't booking appointments until later in April and it is all weather based.

This is the info I just got from calling the Drive Centre phone number - (888) 570 - 6110. The chick couldn't even get me into contact with someone to make arrangements to get my full M before the trip. Now sadly I won't be able to ride while I'm down there... I was really looking forward to doing that with the woman.

You could probably sign up for a course the weekend of April 3 and have your full M on the 6th.

In a way it scares me that riders who are out there on the road for years feel the need to take a course in order to pass the m2x....yikes

In a way it scares me that riders who are out there on the road for years feel the need to take a course in order to pass the m2x....yikes

In a way, I agree. In another way, there is that distinction between "needing" it to pass the test, and choosing it because they may learn something they didn't know. I've met a lot of people who knew everything there was to know about riding before they came in for their M. I've met a lot more who knew enough to know that it's impossible to know everything.

I did it through the course -- Reasoning was it was near end of season when I could do it (mid October), and if I failed that meant waiting until the next year, which could mean missing out on demoing a number of bikes (as I was in the market at that time, but couldn't ride much with a M2). The test was easy, but then I'd been riding a good 10,000km by that time, however I can easily see how someone could fail if they are not comfortable with the bike/riding, or if they get a bad tester. I know I failed my G2 exit the first time I did it, and the tester just told me to rebook and today was not the day to get tested...so I didn't want to go through all that again for the sake of $200-300ish.

Agreed. Even weekend warriors shouldn't have an issue passing the test through the MTO after reading through the M2 exit sticky

Back
Top Bottom