Should I replace my rear brake? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Should I replace my rear brake?

Daakuryu

Last summer I had a very close encounter of the dumb kind, group of people decided that they just could not be bothered to walk to the corner and wait for the light to turn green before crossing the street and there were enough of them that swerving was not an option. This was on a 60km/h street and I was of course going at the speed limit. :angel8:

So I braked hard, fishtailed bit but recovered. Since then however I've noticed that when I brake there will sometimes be a... I don't want to say grinding noise but it does sound like two pieces of metal rubbing together. Also noticed that depending on how my foot is pressing down on the rear brake I will sometimes feel it sorta vibrate/tick.

Last summer I had a very close encounter of the dumb kind, group of people decided that they just could not be bothered to walk to the corner and wait for the light to turn green before crossing the street and there were enough of them that swerving was not an option. This was on a 60km/h street and I was of course going at the speed limit. :angel8:

So I braked hard, fishtailed bit but recovered. Since then however I've noticed that when I brake there will sometimes be a... I don't want to say grinding noise but it does sound like two pieces of metal rubbing together. Also noticed that depending on how my foot is pressing down on the rear brake I will sometimes feel it sorta vibrate/tick.

Take a good look at the rotor and pads. Also, elevate the rear wheel and spin it while looking at the rotor. Use your hand to apply a bit of brake while doing this. Just take a look see at what's going on.

Last edited:

Is your rear wheel straight? I doubt you burned your brakes with a single low speed stop, but if the axle wasn't tight you could have pulled it out of alignment.

The two events are probably not related. Take a close look, the noises/sensations you describe could just be worn out pads that need replacement, but it could be something else.

Maybe it's a drum brake and he's got some loose crap floating around in there? Unless I missed the part that says what he is riding.

The two events are probably not related. Take a close look, the noises/sensations you describe could just be worn out pads that need replacement, but it could be something else.

It's just strange that it started right after that though.

Put it apart, inspect, lubricate, put it back together...

Not really comfortable with that idea, not really mechanically inclined.

Maybe it's a drum brake and he's got some loose crap floating around in there? Unless I missed the part that says what he is riding.

Ninja 250.

Took some doing but I got the bike out of the laundry room and into the kitchen instead and was able to take this video.

[video=youtube;swW6t1osrAM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swW6t1osrAM[/video]

Seems like its constantly rubbing and not letting go. Time to rebuild or at least clean that caliper and piston(s).

Seems like its constantly rubbing and not letting go. Time to rebuild or at least clean that caliper and piston(s).

Yeah, but sometimes brakes will drag if they've been sitting for a few months just from surface rust on the rotor (and if it were the case, would not really be a problem). It's hard to tell for sure from the footage, but the rotor looks like a rusty colour to me. If I squint super hard, it looks like there's still material on the pads, but I'm not sure of that either.

It looks like it's taking quite a bit of effort to rotate your rear wheel. Judging from the amount of grime in that ahead, I would agree your rear brake is probably dragging. My guess is the pistons are just gummed up and need to be cleaned and possibly rebuilt.

That definitely needs to be serviced. That much drag reminds me of my old Mazda Protege's rear brakes, which frequently seized up. You'll get familiar with the smell of burnt brakes pretty quickly if you ride it like that.

Can you still turn the wheel by hand if someone holds down the rear brake pedal? (ie: is it totally seized?)

That definitely needs to be serviced. That much drag reminds me of my old Mazda Protege's rear brakes, which frequently seized up. You'll get familiar with the smell of burnt brakes pretty quickly if you ride it like that.

Can you still turn the wheel by hand if someone holds down the rear brake pedal? (ie: is it totally seized?)

When I switch position with the camera that was so I could put my foot on the brake, wheel didn't budge an inch when that happened

Ah, gotcha. Servicing them isn't too complicated if you want to tackle it yourself, even if you aren't especially mechanically inclined.

Back
Top Bottom