Tire Opinion ~ Looking for a good street tires that will do 1 or 2 track days a year | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tire Opinion ~ Looking for a good street tires that will do 1 or 2 track days a year

Can't forget that the reviews are from professional riders that really know their stuff and ride with skills beyond the average person.

Any of the top 4-5 tires in the "A" group in the review are beyond more than enough for the OP's needs. It comes down to how often is he willing to shell out for new tires and to put them on? If he doesn't care about doing it every 3-4000km and have lots of money, the Pirelli's. If he wants a little more durability, then Q3, S20, Sport Attack 2.
If he wants 8-10000km then maybe the Metzeler M5, as it was highly touted and suggested it was good for intermediate track days as well.

Based on my read of the article, I might go with the Metzeler M7RR since they claim to have 20% more mileage then the M5's with better performance (M5's being 5 yrs old and M7's being released in 2014) and they don't rate too badly being ridden by a professional either.

- warm up quick(est)
- looks like they have the most sipes so should be the best for the rain
- better overall wear mileage for street riding
- middle of the pack performance ridden by professionals on the track

The Gap is not a race track, no matter how fast some people think they are (though I've seen some quick riders, for sure). As for those running them at track days up here... novice or intermediate? It really matters.

But we are talking spirited street with occasional track day, right? At least that was the OP's questions. I would say very good intermediate rider, mounted on CBR600. They lasted very well too.

That being said, I had the "power 3" confused with the "road 3" and so you could be right, they may work just fine.

Yeah, that's a big difference .... I've seen even Power 2CT perform very well, on my own bike and friend's as well.

For street with occasional track, I've run:

PP 2CT's
Pirelli Corsa's (older, single compound tire)
Pirelli Corsa 3's (older dual compound tire)
Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa's (current dual compound tire)
Pirelli Supercorsa SC (track only, non street)

-1 for S20's. I run these on the street currently and do not like the lack of feedback. When they let go - they let go. No warning. *NOTE, these are OEM tires, and I've had conflicting hear-say info that they do not have dual compounds as the non-OEM's.

+1 for Diablo Rosso Corsa's. Good for street, good for track. I'm going back to these on the street bike once the S20's burn up.

Supercorsa SC's will be great for track, but wear quick on street and not have ideal cold weather and wet grip.

Last edited:
Based on my read of the article, I might go with the Metzeler M7RR since they claim to have 20% more mileage then the M5's with better performance (M5's being 5 yrs old and M7's being released in 2014) and they don't rate too badly being ridden by a professional either.

- warm up quick(est)
- looks like they have the most sipes so should be the best for the rain
- better overall wear mileage for street riding
- middle of the pack performance ridden by professionals on the track

While sipes will aid with standing water/hydroplaning, it's the silica content in the rubber that gives the wet weather traction.

In that test, they are running the Pirelli SuperCorsa SP tires, these are the Street/Track Supercorsa's with dual compound rear tire.

The SC designation SuperCorsa tires are the DOT Track tire which come in various compounds. While they can be legally run on the street, they will not last.

Do you really want cheap Chinese tires at a premium price? I will never buy a Metzler the moved manufacturing to China and build quality looks shoddy last ones I saw had wires sticking out that scratched the rim they were being mounted on.

sent from a device using a program

Do you really want cheap Chinese tires at a premium price? I will never buy a Metzler the moved manufacturing to China and build quality looks shoddy last ones I saw had wires sticking out that scratched the rim they were being mounted on.

sent from a device using a program
Pirelli rosso 11 are made in china now, does that mean they are garbage now as well? Why would anyone mount a tire that had wires sticking out? And scratching the rim, that would be the guy mounting a defective tire. Don't use them if YOU don't want to but come on.

It will be the same factory as they are the same company. No I would not pay top dollar for a Chinese tire if they are made in China they should be much cheaper.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

-1 for S20's. I run these on the street currently and do not like the lack of feedback. When they let go - they let go. No warning. *NOTE, these are OEM tires, and I've had conflicting hear-say info that they do not have dual compounds as the non-OEM's.

I disagree completely.
Ridden the S20's at the track and found them very predictable with good feel for my meagre abilities (plan is to move from yellow to red after the first track day I hit this season). I've had them squirming around at the edge of traction limits, and felt they were giving me tons of warning and didn't simply "let go" as you mentioned.
May I ask what PSI you're running them at on the street? At the track I run 31/29, street 33/34.

I disagree completely.
Ridden the S20's at the track and found them very predictable with good feel for my meagre abilities (plan is to move from yellow to red after the first track day I hit this season). I've had them squirming around at the edge of traction limits, and felt they were giving me tons of warning and didn't simply "let go" as you mentioned.
May I ask what PSI you're running them at on the street? At the track I run 31/29, street 33/34.

32/35 cold. They are the first Bridgestones I've run, and will be the last. The oem S20's have a letter suffix in the size/model. Could be different compound and carcas than non OEM S20's, could be same. Never tracked them.

32/35 cold. They are the first Bridgestones I've run, and will be the last. The oem S20's have a letter suffix in the size/model. Could be different compound and carcas than non OEM S20's, could be same. Never tracked them.

When did they let go on you? Right when you first started a ride? Did you give them enough time to warm up a bit before pushing? Ambient temperature? I'm just really curious to and trying to understand why you had such bad luck with them and I have had good experiences (in no way poo-poo'ing riding abilities).

I've had lousy experiences with Michelin pilot power 2ct's. Couldn't wait to get them off my bike. Found them super skittish, especially if there was any sort of debris on the road (be it a scrap of tree bark or 7 grains of sand). Soured me on the brand, so I guess I've thrown the baby out with the bathwater. hehehe.

When did they let go on you? Right when you first started a ride? Did you give them enough time to warm up a bit before pushing? Ambient temperature? I'm just really curious to and trying to understand why you had such bad luck with them and I have had good experiences (in no way poo-poo'ing riding abilities).

I've had lousy experiences with Michelin pilot power 2ct's. Couldn't wait to get them off my bike. Found them super skittish, especially if there was any sort of debris on the road (be it a scrap of tree bark or 7 grains of sand). Soured me on the brand, so I guess I've thrown the baby out with the bathwater. hehehe.

PP 2CT's had a funny profile I found. Turn-in wasn't great.

As for the S20's - Was probably 2h into a ride down in the smokies. Mid 20° temps. Tires should have been plenty warm. Front tire pushed on several occasions off of the brakes. Suspension is well sorted, Racetech valves & proper weighted springs, set to Racetechs recommended settings (minor tweaks). Exiting apex of corner starting to roll on the gas, front let go. No signs or feel of pushing, just let go. No saving it. I've scraped pegs before with no drama, wasn't even at the feelers. Front tire had approx 50% wear. Rear was new non-OEM replacement. Road looked perfect. New the S20's were decent... but front started getting sketchy as it wore.

I looked up what the difference is with the OEM version of the S20's vs. non. Tread depth and tread width is different by a millimeter here and there. No mention of compound differences, if any.

I need to trust my tires more than my riding abilities :p (joking of corse) I've had great faith in the Diablo Rosso Corsa's. Have a set waiting to be mounted after these S20's burn up.

On the positive side, for a hypersport tyre, the first S20 rear went a little over 6,000Km before changing.

Same. I had them on my 2005 GSX-R 1000. Hated them. Dunno why I ever bought Power Pures, but I guess I got sucked into their hype.

I found the S20 to give good feedback. They slide predictably when you get them hot. They took a long time to warm up on the street I found.

I know OEM BT016's were different than non-OEM so it could be the case here as well.

I agree with the feedback, but never had issue with warm up time. Had the BT06's the season before and had no issues with them either, rain or shine

Back
Top Bottom