Canadian Anti-Terrorism Bill | GTAMotorcycle.com

Canadian Anti-Terrorism Bill

nfq

Site Supporter
Canada Unveils New Anti-Terrorism Bill That Moves for 'Unprecedented Expansion of Powers'
"This radical expansion of national security powers is not sound security policy and presents a real danger to Canadians," says civil liberties advocate.

http://www.commondreams.org/news/20...ism-bill-moves-unprecedented-expansion-powers

Petition has started here: https://openmedia.org/spyonus?src=157353

The Bill can be found here: http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&DocId=6932136&File=4

Find your elected official here and send them an email on how you feel about this issue: http://www.parl.gc.ca/Parlinfo/Compilations/HouseofCommons/MemberByPostalCode.aspx?Menu=HOC

Last edited:
I will guess it's a done deal...it just makes ppl feel better they get the "chance" to protest.

I will guess it's a done deal...it just makes ppl feel better they get the "chance" to protest.

Its not even close to a done deal... first reading was just yesterday.

It has support from the Libs and NDP are reviewing. The direction this is heading in is worrisome.

This didn't fully register the first time I heard about it... well it registers now. I think I'm gonna be sick

Its not even close to a done deal... first reading was just yesterday.

I know you know better than that.
Many things are a done deal before we see or hear about it.

How did the G20 thing work out...you don't think they knew what they were going to do was wrong BUT they did it anyway.

How did the G20 thing work out...you don't think they knew what they were going to do was wrong BUT they did it anyway.

You can always let PM Harper know how you feel about this bill.
And if he doesn't listen... well, next federal election is almost here (October).

Its an election year, and with public outcry this could become an election issue. So no, I don't know that it's a "done deal" at all. It went through first reading, and now its up to us to raise enough of a stink before 2nd reading, and 3rd reading, and 1-2-3 senate readings, etc. It's a long way from done.

So how global does life on planet earth need to get? How many billions people? How much immigration and other movement? How extreme must certain religions get? How wide the gap between have and have nots? At what point do we give up some liberties for the sake of security? Is it not a given that no matter what actions a government takes in the interest of security some people will scream bloody murder. Just asking.

I've sent letters to my MP and Harper stating I do not support Bill C51 and will not support them in October as a result. Not sure what else I can do about it.

Good luck holding that decision up in court.... although it was the right thing... lots of prejudice involved in the ban in montreal... lets see how it turns out.

So how global does life on planet earth need to get? How many billions people? How much immigration and other movement? How extreme must certain religions get? How wide the gap between have and have nots? At what point do we give up some liberties for the sake of security? Is it not a given that no matter what actions a government takes in the interest of security some people will scream bloody murder. Just asking.
" He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."

" He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."

I believe the original quote was more accurately: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Key word being "essential", as opposed to absolute, in-your-face anarchist freedom. Like it or not, some infringements on freedom are necessary to protect you from others who would practice their freedom to do what they wish with no regard for the well-being of others.

I like that everyone is freaking out over a bill but didn't when these idiots got elected. No one saw stuff like this coming? Seriously?

I believe the original quote was more accurately: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Key word being "essential", as opposed to absolute, in-your-face anarchist freedom. Like it or not, some infringements on freedom are necessary to protect you from others who would practice their freedom to do what they wish with no regard for the well-being of others.
I agree that a line has to be drawn but some people cannot get a balance & thinks that everything will be rosey when they sacrifice their freedom

I like that everyone is freaking out over a bill but didn't when these idiots got elected. No one saw stuff like this coming? Seriously?

exactly!

I keep saying get out and back to grass roots, elect ppl in your area that you know and see doing things to help.
ppl are lazy, easier to complain too

As if party affiliation makes a lick of f'ing difference... get a grip. Red blue orange its all the same filth being elected into office. We're incapable of major government reform. We can't expect freedom and 'libertarianism' when the people we elect get to decide their own workloads and their own salaries. They have to justify their jobs by constantly tabling new bills and fighting with eachother on key 'election issues' while the serious stuff gets swept under the rug. We need our media to ask the tough questions and point fingers in the right direction, but they won't do it because it's a giant circle-jerk.

A slow and steady erosion of our rights and freedoms is absolutely guaranteed, as long as politicians are paid by us to keep themselves busy. There's no other possible outcome. Much like in the US, money, branding, and strong marketing wins elections. It's gonna be red/blue/orange for a long time to come.

I think this is less Harper and more the Republicans south of the border successfully exporting their paranoia

Back
Top Bottom