Where should I go? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where should I go?

Spray - there are cheap iPhone 4s around and then you have access to MotionX GPS and many other GPS apps.

••••

For example people praised Wycroff Run but after finding #125 in Shamokin I found WR rather over rated.

Wycoff is short and sweet but Shamokin is a tad far for a weekend run and 125 only starts at Shamokin and the goes S from there.

That whole area in the southern section south of Renovo is a treat but a stretch for a regular weekend.

If you've got longer....big time good.

Last edited:
Williamsport is a great base as it has brewpubs and major chain hotels and affords access to the south roads including 125 and the usual roads 144, 44, etc.
Sr154 and 87 are just east of town with lots of smaller surfaced roads nearby

I agree - some decent motels quite cheap as lots of competition and a good jump off spot. I've been pleased with Motel 8. It's 475km by fast route but there are some sweet roads enroute including 44/144/Cherry Creek/Wykoff ( Cherry Creek is newly paved and a total hoot coming off 6 ) Not long but much fun. Hook up with 144 then to Renovo

Also not far to the Skyline Drive and BRP.

I've been tending to stay at State College as it has way more motels ( football town ) for a small town and there are some deals to be had.

Last edited:
Williamsport is a great base as it has brewpubs and major chain hotels and affords access to the south roads including 125 and the usual roads 144, 44, etc.
Sr154 and 87 are just east of town with lots of smaller surfaced roads nearby

++1 on Williamsport. Bill-town as the locals call it.
The Brew Pub has great craft beer and good food made from scratch (love the ghost pepper relish!)
There is also an independent coffee roaster within a quick walk from the hotels that serves amazing coffee.

Oh, yes...and the riding is awesome too. :)

Cheers,

Rob
Cambridge

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and stories. A buddy and myself are planning our next annual bike trip. (from Kitchener)
We have previously rode Algonquin, Haliburton, Manitoulin etc, now looking to go South. PA sounds good for distance. (sport bike riders) Usually make a 3 day trip and aim for about 1500kms. We would like to add some fishing to the trip this time around.

You might need a permit - check on that.
1500-1600 is what I usually cover in 2 1/2 to 3 day rides.

It's 4 hours to hit Coudersport and then have fun on 144 to Renovo but I'd go S on 6 and pick up Cherry Springs and take that over to 144 and then head south.

144 continues South of Renovo and is newly paved and terrific.

You can take that over the mountain and then try and find the exit point of Wycoff Run and back to 120 .

For 3 days. Staying a bit further south in State College lets you do some of the roads further south.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/Pennsylvania_114.html

Yes, PA really is great and not far at all. This is from the Hyner View lookout last weekend

Cod84Y3.jpg

I also wanted to get back in here and say thanks to everyone for contributing.

Our dates are approaching and I have a pretty good route planned now. We'll do cheap motels in Bradford, PA on Friday night Williamsport on Saturday night. Saturday I have tentative 500km route planned that we can either extend or cut short based on how we do for time.

That Hyner view looks amazing. I'm glad it's already set as a stop for us.

May I suggest that you stay in the same hotel for both nights. It's nice to get the luggage off the bike for a day. Williamsport is an easy ride and good base that you can be at in about 5 1/2 hours (from Oakville) taking the interstate. They have a small bike sport bike gathering at the Starbucks on Academy Street (visible from I 180) Saturday nights at 8:00 or 8:30. Tell them Gary sent you.

May I suggest that you stay in the same hotel for both nights. It's nice to get the luggage off the bike for a day. Williamsport is an easy ride and good base that you can be at in about 5 1/2 hours (from Oakville) taking the interstate. They have a small bike sport bike gathering at the Starbucks on Academy Street (visible from I 180) Saturday nights at 8:00 or 8:30. Tell them Gary sent you.

I thought about staying in the same place, but I figure the trade off for 2/3 days with luggage instead of 3/3 days wasn't worth being tied to a specific location the entire weekend.

The other issue with staying in Williamsport on Friday is that some of the guys in my group will be leaving from Parry Sound, possibly after a full day of work. Google maps says 7 hours with no traffic and no border crossing time. Realistically we might not be there until 2 or 3am. Bradford is only 5 hours, which gives us a chance at being off the road by midnight.

Last edited:
I thought about staying in the same place, but I figure the trade off for 2/3 days with luggage instead of 3/3 days wasn't worth being tied to a specific location the entire weekend.

The other issue with staying in Williamsport on Friday as well, is that some of the guys in my group will be leaving from Parry Sound, possibly after a full day of work. Google maps says 7 hours with no traffic and no border crossing time. Realistically we might not be there until 2 or 3am. Bradford is only 5 hours, which gives us a more realistic chance of being off the road by midnight.

Makes sense. Be aware of deer riding down the 219 at dusk or at night as they're all over the place. Elk are spreading around PA as well and you REALLY don't want to mess with one of those guys.

Makes sense. Be aware of deer riding down the 219 at dusk or at night as they're all over the place. Elk are spreading around PA as well and you REALLY don't want to mess with one of those guys.

Thanks for the warning, and the suggestions.

I've heard the deer are crazy, even during the day. I actually bought some of those warning whistles for your car bumper, and I'm going to try and find a spot on my bike to mount them. Not sure if they will help. It's one of those things where I'll only know for sure if they don't work. For a few bucks, they can't hurt.

You just don't ride at night or dusk.....way too many critters....bear too.

Have seen elk along the road and further in the bush ....one stop point might be the Elk reserve - gorgeous animals.

http://elkcountryvisitorcenter.com/drupal/

Benezette, PA 15821

It's just off 555 which is a nice scenic ride along the river.

I have never seen as many dead deer at the side of the road then I have in PA. Beautiful riding, but you always have to be ready... but that goes for everywhere.

Try riding in Michigan. It's definatly the bloated deer by the side of the road capital.

I also wanted to get back in here and say thanks to everyone for contributing.

Our dates are approaching and I have a pretty good route planned now. We'll do cheap motels in Bradford, PA on Friday night Williamsport on Saturday night. Saturday I have tentative 500km route planned that we can either extend or cut short based on how we do for time.

That Hyner view looks amazing. I'm glad it's already set as a stop for us.

The Zippo lighter museum in Bradford is neat (and free) but easily skipped if you're pressed for time. However Bradford is pretty close to the Kinzua bridge collapse and that is worth the time penalty (and it's free too).

Not the cleanest but fun for sure when we go it's a big party in the parking lot. The steakhouse right there with really good steaks and order your 6 pack of beer to go. Another good thing is if you are worried about your bike its right outside your window. They even leave a rag on each bike to wipe the dew off in the morn.

Also don't forget you gotta eat breakfeast at fezzs diner a converted rail car with generous servings and a damn good breakie

Always lots of other bikers there, one time pulled in and 4 biker chicks in the two rooms next to us sure was fun romping those beds LOL and the next time maybe 20 harley riders from all over the eastern US drinking homemade moonshine tasting like peach smooth as anything I have tasted. Fun times for sure.

Like I said earlier in the thread I go down often so pm me when you go. I love to see peoples reaction to the riding down there for the first time.
Keep in mind it will spoil you after last year I barely road here after my 3rd trip down it's too boring chasing good roads in Onteribble.

Edit: maybe we should post up a GTAM ride down to PA next season would be cool and with a bigger group would be no issues staying together.

Thanks to this thread I just made a quick run down. Had a blast! I'd be in for a GTAM run.

4k9qig.jpg

awe Fezs Diner.....great place to grab breakfast :)

Back
Top Bottom