Where should I go? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where should I go?

I was just looking at this online the other day. Any thoughts or reports on their cabins. The price looks good and that's definitely easy to get to in a day.

I have only used them for tent camping. Really good prices, very clean bathrooms and showers and very friendly staff. I will assume the cabins and such are nice as well judging by how nice the camping and washrooms were.

I find the Adirondacks better for a 3 day weekend - bit long to get there and you have to cross Toronto on the way.
There are lots of roads.
The neat thing with PA is you can either leave Friday night or early Saturday and get in decent riding and you are only 4 hours from home on Sunday.

The only issue with PA is deer so you want to leave so you get out of NY before dusk.
Coming up the QEW after dark is not an issue.
Being in rural PA or NY after dark....risky.

Same goes fo Adirondacks.

I find the Adirondacks better for a 3 day weekend - bit long to get there and you have to cross Toronto on the way.
There are lots of roads.
The neat thing with PA is you can either leave Friday night or early Saturday and get in decent riding and you are only 4 hours from home on Sunday.

The only issue with PA is deer so you want to leave so you get out of NY before dusk.
Coming up the QEW after dark is not an issue.
Being in rural PA or NY after dark....risky.

Same goes fo Adirondacks.

I have never seen as many dead deer at the side of the road then I have in PA. Beautiful riding, but you always have to be ready... but that goes for everywhere.

I have only used them for tent camping. Really good prices, very clean bathrooms and showers and very friendly staff. I will assume the cabins and such are nice as well judging by how nice the camping and washrooms were.

Thanks. Definitely going to give them a shot this year

Run to Ellicottville Friday evening via south Lake Erie (Derby, Eden, county roads). Lantz Corners Saturday night, #219 & #6, Cheap and cheerful. Many roads in the Allegheny - #666 is a must! 219 home when you've had enough.

Kingston via the lake run at Newtonville through Picton Friday night. Bancroft via Perth road and hit the Frontenac Park and surrounding secondary's. Alot to see in and around there. Cottage traffic though may be your deciding factor as you come home Sunday.

I actually think the Lanark Highlands and around there are great. Through Algonquin too and around Calabogie, further North/East to Tremblant even. Nothing wrong with crossing the border but the current exchange rate doesn't make things as nice as they used to be.

Its going to be interesting to see how much the currency exchange rate is going to offset the cheaper gas and accommodations (I don't find the food prices much different).

For just a weekend, I tend to hit PA - for me its the cottage country traffic that is the biggest deciding factor. Also from Hamilton with my Nexus pass, its just so easy to pop over the border. And I have a sister in Johnstown PA - so if I want to ride a longer day, I have free food and accommodation (and yes, I am welcome to bring a friend).

As noted, watch out for deer in PA - and not just at dawn and dusk - my closest call came at high noon.

Unfortunately to get to PA you have to travel through NY State - lets just saw in 10 years of riding I've only gotten two tickets and both of them have been in NY - 219 in particular watch your P's and Q's.

We've had many discussions on this forum about the law enforcement through NY especially around Ellicottville NY. Just keep it at the speed limit and you'll be fine. Wait till you cross the PA line to start having fun.

You cannot compare the riding in PA to Muskoka. There's no traffic, way better road conditions, less law enforcement, waaaaaay more turns and twists, and considerate drivers. The extra 20 cents on the dollar is well worth it in my opinion.

I'm getting excited already. Hadn't heard about the police or wildlife though. Thanks for the heads up, will definitely keep those things in mind.

We've had many discussions on this forum about the law enforcement through NY especially around Ellicottville NY. Just keep it at the speed limit and you'll be fine. Wait till you cross the PA line to start having fun.

You cannot compare the riding in PA to Muskoka. There's no traffic, way better road conditions, less law enforcement, waaaaaay more turns and twists, and considerate drivers. The extra 20 cents on the dollar is well worth it in my opinion.

And Muskoka is filled with jerks from the GTA on weekends. Lots of people approach me while in PA and NY just to chat. I rarely get that in Ontario

And Muskoka is filled with jerks from the GTA on weekends. Lots of people approach me while in PA and NY just to chat. I rarely get that in Ontario

Muskoka on the weekends is just a bad idea. A lot of roads in Ontario on summer weekends are a bad idea. Gravel roads are always good tho.

++++++++++1 Coudersport PA and Wykoff Run and 144!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stay cheap at the Lauelwood Inn and enjoy a great steak at the attached Steakhouse there!

++++++++++1 Coudersport PA and Wykoff Run and 144!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stay cheap at the Lauelwood Inn and enjoy a great steak at the attached Steakhouse there!
Looks like a great location for a cheap room. I might have to spend a night there.

Looks like a great location for a cheap room. I might have to spend a night there.

Not the cleanest but fun for sure when we go it's a big party in the parking lot. The steakhouse right there with really good steaks and order your 6 pack of beer to go. Another good thing is if you are worried about your bike its right outside your window. They even leave a rag on each bike to wipe the dew off in the morn.

Also don't forget you gotta eat breakfeast at fezzs diner a converted rail car with generous servings and a damn good breakie

Always lots of other bikers there, one time pulled in and 4 biker chicks in the two rooms next to us sure was fun romping those beds LOL and the next time maybe 20 harley riders from all over the eastern US drinking homemade moonshine tasting like peach smooth as anything I have tasted. Fun times for sure.

Like I said earlier in the thread I go down often so pm me when you go. I love to see peoples reaction to the riding down there for the first time.
Keep in mind it will spoil you after last year I barely road here after my 3rd trip down it's too boring chasing good roads in Onteribble.

Edit: maybe we should post up a GTAM ride down to PA next season would be cool and with a bigger group would be no issues staying together.

Last edited:
Lots of great pointers already stated.
Personally I think PA is better than the Muskokas but that's just my opinion.
I mostly do the northern part but last year discovered how great the southern part is.
For example people praised Wycroff Run but after finding #125 in Shamokin I found WR rather over rated.
I like to spend Saturday night in Bradford PA....Lots of great places to stay...Beefeater is great for diner...and you can be home in 3 hours on Sunday.
Below is a fun ride i did last summer.

Hi Kiley , have never done the 555 portion of your route but know all the rest. After looking at your route found what looks like some good stuff little west between Punxsataney ...Dayton and New Bethleham #839...1025 look pretty good on the map. Gonna have to swing by next season and check it out.

2 great things about the 555 area
Elk in the fall in Benezette...if that matters to you.
Medix Hotel....great place to grab lunch :)

I know you have TomTom..which is probably superior due to waypoints. BUT if ever that fails, Nokia HERE is delightfully awesome (and free)

You download the maps on your phone. Your turn your data off, and you get full navigation.

I had to drive through NY, PA, NJ and not a single hiccup was had.

#newdaddyride

I know you have TomTom..which is probably superior due to waypoints. BUT if ever that fails, Nokia HERE is delightfully awesome (and free)

You download the maps on your phone. Your turn your data off, and you get full navigation.

I had to drive through NY, PA, NJ and not a single hiccup was had.

#newdaddyride

Actually, in the last few days I've given up on TomTom and looking for something new. Like Google Navigation, it's nearly impossible to plan and setup a complex route with waypoints ahead of time. I remember the old versions being really good where you could plan a big itinerary for your entire trip, but the new one sucks. You can set a destination and about 4 or 5 waypoints, but that's it. After you've arrived, you have to load up the next 4 or 5 on the spot.

I found MapFactor: GPS Navigation (link) which seems to work pretty well. It's a little clunky to use compared to a consumer GPS unit like a TomTom or Garmin, but once you get used to it it's great for planning a bunch of routes before the fact. You can save entire routes with a bunch of waypoints and then load them back up later. Also the maps are open source and up to date because it's powered by OpenStreetMap, and it's free.

I saw the Nokia one at the top of the list when I was searching. I might have that a try too and see how it compares.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and favourite spots, keep them coming. I've started building a Google My Maps since they finally got it working with the new version of Google Maps and Android and I'm throwing everything in so I can get a complete picture of what's good and where everything is.

As lame as it might sound, if you're a CAA member, go to your nearest office and grab some free paper maps. With one glance you can see many different riding routes

I've been meaning to do that. I forgot CAA members get them free. I'll have to get my wife to grab a few. Definitely handy for planning and as a backup, although I can't see them replacing my GPS while on the move.

Back
Top Bottom