Aftermarket Gauge Cluster | GTAMotorcycle.com

Aftermarket Gauge Cluster

spray____

Site Supporter
Anyone have experience with these? I'm thinking about checking out a bike with one and I'm curious about how they work with the mileage.

Generally, can you put in the existing mileage when you set it up? Does it remain editable?

I'm guessing there is the possibility for dishonest people to fudge the numbes to an extent, and I would need to accept that. For example, someone buys the bike at 10,000, rides it for 5 years, and enters the mileage on the new gauge at 10,001. Am I correct in assuming that as long as the reported/displayed mileage increases with every owner, the paperwork stays simple?

What kind of headache am I in for if the owner bought it at 20,000, and now the gauge reads 5,000?

If the dash shows 5K, how would you know if it had 20K? 30K? 40K?

You never really know, the overall condition of the bike should give you an idea but it's not the be all and end all.

Use your best judgement and get a feel for the person's character, if they're shady, walk away.

If the dash shows 5K, how would you know if it had 20K? 30K? 40K?

You never really know, but the overall condition of the bike should give you an idea but it's not the be all and end all.

Use you best judgement and get a feel for the person's character, if they're shady, walk away.

IIR, the UVIP shows the KMs at each change of ownership. What I'm saying is I wouldn't know exactly how many the bike had, I'd have to take his word for it. I can accept that.

I guess I'll know what I reads when I show up, but I'm more curious about how these things normally work. I would expect at any point, or at least when it's new, the aftermarket gauge would let you enter the exact mileage of the bike so it continues to count from where the old gauge left off. I'm wondering if anyone knows. Obviously someone could abuse this and enter a lower number.

Again, if the last owner bought it with 20K on the odometer, and I try to transfer it into my name with 5k on the new odometer, what kind of headache am I in for? I don't imagine I could just do the math and fill the forms out that way, as the safety needs to have the mileage on it as well.

Again, if the last owner bought it with 20K on the odometer, and I try to transfer it into my name with 5k on the new odometer, what kind of headache am I in for? I don't imagine I could just do the math and fill the forms out that way, as the safety needs to have the mileage on it as well.

I dont recall if the UVIP shows the registered KM's or not. But the worst that could happen is that you have to explain to the next buyer why there's a KM discrepancy.

I dont recall if the UVIP shows the registered KM's or not. But the worst that could happen is that you have to explain to the next buyer why there's a KM discrepancy.

I'm not really worried about the next buyer, I'm more worried about the person behind the counter when I go to register a bike reading less KMs than it did when the last guy bought it. I would expect that could throw up some red flags and turn into a headache.

There's nothing to be worried about, register the bike and enjoy it. Even if there's a KM discrepancy, they won't refuse the transfer. No headaches to deal with.

It's been a while, but I believe that UVIPs do not track mileage for motorcycles anyway

Ok, maybe I'm wrong. I know the mileage goes on the safety, and I swore I saw it on the UVIP last time I looked. I'll have to double check tonight.

Mileage is on the UVIP for cars, they ask for mileage every time you renew your sticker and give your insurance number.

This isn't tracked for bikes.
Also, OP, like was said above, take note of the owners behaviour. If it's shady, walk away. Swapping gauge clusters is the oldest trick in the book (OEM or aftermarket).

I put an aftermarket cluster on my SMC, because the OEM did not have a tachometer. I sold it with the old cluster. A year latter the bike was on kijiji with only the aftermarket mileage advertised.

I wouldn't worry about it. On my car I can take out the odo and change it to whatever I want. Heck, I've had to pull it out about 5 times because the damn thing keeps jamming. Drove it for 2 years without it working.

I wouldn't worry about it. On my car I can take out the odo and change it to whatever I want. Heck, I've had to pull it out about 5 times because the damn thing keeps jamming. Drove it for 2 years without it working.

Worry about what?

Back
Top Bottom