Fire and theft only on old bike until it sells | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fire and theft only on old bike until it sells

spray____

Site Supporter
Hoping someone might have an idea on the best route for this.

I'm thinking about switching my bike up next season. Now seems to be the best time to buy. I likely won't have my old bike sold by the time I get a new one. My current policy expires end of Feb and obviously I don't want to pay for 2 policies starting at the beginning of March, especially when I have no plans to ever riding one of the bikes again.

Bikes are stored covered, but outdoors. I don't like the idea of having either one of them uninsured. If I came home one day and either/both of them were gone, I'd be out a ton of money.

Does anyone do a reasonably priced theft only policy?

Insurance may be almost free if you sell before april. Call your insurance company, tell them what you are planning on doing and they may be ok with selling you two full policies, having you pay 5% of the yearly rate (or whatever feb+march equals) for the old bike and then cancelling it without a penalty.

Insurance may be almost free if you sell before april. Call your insurance company, tell them what you are planning on doing and they may be ok with selling you two full policies, having you pay 5% of the yearly rate (or whatever feb+march equals) for the old bike and then cancelling it without a penalty.

EDIT:
See if a dealer will give you a reasonable price on the old bike for consignment. When I have sold vehicles this way in the past, the dealership insurance covered the vehicle and I cancelled my personal policy.

Thanks.

Consignment is an idea I hadn't thought of. My first concern is the old bike needs a few things that I may or may not do before selling it, depending on if I get around to it and offers I get for it as-is. My biggest problem is getting it transported before the end of Feb when my policy expires. Still, thanks for the idea.

I might go the route of a second policy, but it's risky if it doesn't end up selling as soon as I think. Could end up loosing a lot of money over it very fast.

Back
Top Bottom