Advice on Shannonville trackdays | GTAMotorcycle.com

Advice on Shannonville trackdays

Xrayhonda

Finally decided to do my first track day this year at Shannonville, and was looking for any advice from anyone that done a track day there. Eg. What’s the track surface like, what turns to watch out for, where’s the best place to set up the canopy, is the set up area for the canopy, grass or concrete. Etc.

It's bumpy if you don't know the lines. Take your time to learn the track. Talk to the organizer about having a rider lead you around the track so you'll know the lines. Setup your canopy anywhere in the pits which have paved lanes to drive on but where you'd put your bike is gravel so bring a piece of plywood to set the bike up on the stands.

I've been there once for FAST. Agree with dricked, the track is a little bumpy in places but you will get to know where. I believe mostly the latter half of the Nelson configuration if memory serves.

Finally decided to do my first track day this year at Shannonville, and was looking for any advice from anyone that done a track day there. Eg. What’s the track surface like, what turns to watch out for, where’s the best place to set up the canopy, is the set up area for the canopy, grass or concrete. Etc.

As Dricked mentioned, the track surface can be rough if you're not taking the right lines. The only time I feel some turbulence is in turn 4b by the turtle so I tend to take that corner a little wider.

It's also a great idea to have someone lead you around the track. It's also very important to know the person leading you. Rider's Choice usually have some great lead riders, some of them are racers on an amateur level and some are pro. I'd strongly suggest you come out to one of their days. They always do a great job at hosting them.

As far as a canopies go, I never needed one at SMP, if I get there early enough (8:15ish am), I park under the bleachers and stay cool in the shade. On the really busy days, you'll find canopies everywhere though.

PS: I'm in Ajax also, feel free to PM if you need anything.

SMP is a great track...specially the "long" layout. I did my first three track days there last season. The tight hairpin before the back stretch I find tricky to take with any sort of speed so I just tip-toe around it.

I found TMP a much more challenging track.

SMP also has a couple patches of concrete pretty much mid turn. Never had to ride too hard on those but I imagine traction suffers greatly if you happen to take the wrong line and end up leaned over on that material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SMP also has a couple patches of concrete pretty much mid turn. Never had to ride too hard on those but I imagine traction suffers greatly if you happen to take the wrong line and end up leaned over on that material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya you generally don't ride on the concrete.

Just my opinion... As a first ever trackday, I would recommend Fabi track because shorter track will be easier to learn. Over the course of the day, you will go though the same corners more times than when riding Long track. This will help you memorize the layout and to learn faster. Long track has a lot of turns to learn and can be over whelming for beginner. Once you have done Fabi, Long track will be easier to learn because you'll already know half of it.

I agree that Long track is too much for a first track day, but Nelson would be a better choice than Fabi. it is much less technical, but plenty to keep you entertained for many track days.

If you're doing a day hosted by SMP staff (rather than Pro6 or Rider's Choice, for example) then you may end up with mixed groups or even an open track if attendance is low. This is great for lots of track time, but also can be intimidating for a new track rider. You'll want a yellow duct tape X on your back or a construction vest so that other riders are aware that you're new. Also make sure that it is mentioned at the rider's meeting.

I no longer fear the concrete, having run wide or passed enough times using it. Just be prepared if it pushes a little.

I don't think Fabi is the best track to start out on either, but I don't think the Long Track is the worst. It flows. That's the issue with Fabi, it doesn't flow and you're practically forced to brake forcefully under corner load... I know there's a line you can take where that's limited, but it's not the right line. It also forces an unnatural-feeling corner exit which has been known to highside people trying to set up and gain speed for corner 3 (left hand sweeper).

Nelson wears tires pretty badly but it's probably a good track to learn on. The only corner of concern is coming off the back "straight" which requires you to brake pretty hard and turn in sharply over a large, uneven crack in the pavement to do the Mouse. Not much of a concern at novice pace but faster than that, it gets sketchy.

I'd much rather ride Fabi, Nelson has a weird sketchy bump exiting allens that almost caught me last year. You don't exit at the same angle doing long track so you avoid it.

If you have someone lead you around long track you'll be fine.

SMP run days are the worst! A ****ing gong show, really. I would not recommend them to anyone starting out.

SMP run days are the worst! A ****ing gong show, really. I would not recommend them to anyone starting out.

I've been to 3. 2 were well run, 1 was a bit sketchy. Tech on that day was; as he turns the throttle and looks at the side of my bike he says "Heh, you guys have to ride them... looks good to me!". The two days that were good, Michelle and Linda (I think) were running things and it was quite good. Anyway, that's all subjective anyway.

Yes Nelson has bumps in weird places, the whole track does, but keep in mind he's a beginner and won't be at the limits like some of us. He may not even feel some of the bumps that we know all too well. There are good reasons that FAST starts on Nelson.

I went twice last year, hoping the second time would be a bit more organized. I was wrong.

I somehow manage to enjoy every day at the track. Even the day I crashed the 600 and then cracked the 1000's motor in two. OK, maybe not that day.

Thanks for all the info., Rider's Choice first track day is May 7/15 at Fabi, so I'll be going; if anyone else is going give me a shout.

I'm hoping to be there with Pro6 the following Monday, May 11. Fabi track that day also.

I'll probably be there on the 11th of May. Unfortunately / fortunately I'll be at Deal's Gap the week before.

I will be there.

Look for the guy with the kids.

I'll help you the best that I can.

Thanks for all the info., Rider's Choice first track day is May 7/15 at Fabi, so I'll be going; if anyone else is going give me a shout.

Back
Top Bottom