Recommend: cheap tow vehicle | GTAMotorcycle.com

Recommend: cheap tow vehicle

inreb

Site Supporter
I want to tow 4000lbs occasionally. No gas guzzler. $6-$8k budget. I haven't really kept up with cars/trucks so need help. I'm thinking V6 automatic. I like base models not older than 10 years. What's a reliable, long production run, easily serviced vehicle?:(

4000 lbs with a V-6 Automatic will be tough! Won't be in OD on the HWY's. better make sure you have a big transmission cooler on that thing. You should be looking for solid rear axles or leaf spring or coil spring trucks.

V-6 Options I can think of
- Chev TrailBlazer
- Dodge Nitro
- Jeep Liberty / Jeep Grand Cherokee
- Ford Explorer (independent rear for a plusher ride)

The GC would be a decent buy at that price, you can find oddles of chevy trail blazers - simple trucks - nice little 275hp v6.

I used to tow a 2600lb 8x10 v-nose enclosed trailer with a Jeep Liberty V-6, but never in OD, and you can tell that truck was way underpowered and did not have the mass or wheel base to tow that trailer. Add the open rear diff + snow + trailer - was quite nerve racking.

Last edited:
OK, I know the Ford Ranger V6 automatics are rated as high as 6000lbs so I thought asking for 4000lbs would give good buffer. I already have a Ranger 4 banger stick which I love for utility and mileage. I'm thinking 4 dr sedan as second vehicle or Mustang or Jeep but they all have very low tow rating for some odd reason.

a 4.0L V-6 AUTO ranger is rated for 5600lbs. But I'd never tow that much with that ranger. That V-6 range is about 400lbs.

What sort of trailer is it ? single axle ? tandem axle ? weight bars? breaks on all axles ?

Any truck or older SUV built on proper frames should do the trick. I'm sure you can find a mid-2000's vehicle in that price range. I wouldn't bet on good fuel economy though. I would venture to say that 99% of sedans are out of the question if you want to stay within their max tow rating. Car suspensions just aren't setup for that much weight.

Towing 4000lbs + "No gas guzzler", may be a rough go. However, this may have your name on it:

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/F-150/MISSISSAUGA/Ontario/19_8536282_/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=7_15_24

It doesn't really hit the 6-8 grand, 10yr. or newer target but sure looks like a sweet ride anyway:eek: j/k Gary. Ya that looks perfect. I'm researching atm. I want to buy a trailer sailor. I'm guessing I'll be towing 1km per 15km nontowing ratio. Do I want to drive a gas guzzler on a regular basis just to tow very occasionally? Or do I want to have a second vehicle? Make one a winter only driver? Lots of things to consider. 4-5 yrs. marina fees would cover cost of tow vehicle. This should be a joyous white people problem occasion. I wish I were materialistic and took more pleasure in owning stuff. Lotta rocknroll just to float a boat.:(

ps, I'm trying to get around duplicate vehicles, already have pick up truck. Ideally I'd like a murdered out YJ straight 6 Jeep with bedliner interior and roll cage. That would be fun. Imagine my hearbreak when I found out such a beast has a miserly 1500lbs towing capacity. Car companies are like motorcycle companies in that they never make anything I want.

Last edited:
Early 00 GMC 2WD 1500 with the V6 Vortec would fit the bill perfect for you.

Trailblazers, exploders, and liberty are all pieces of **** and the exploders are horrid on fuel as it is. Get a truck to tow.

full size trucks + small engines (v6's) = crap fuel economy (I know from personal experience)... Id say get a Ranger with the 4L v6 if you want a small truck or get a full size with a v8 and just drive economically (like you have an egg under the gas pedal)

Unless you find something with a diesel, then you get good fuel economy AND tow rating...

Last edited:
if your going to pull a trailer sailor 6 ? times a yr. Budget/ Uhaul trucks will pull that . Its a near new truck, who cares if the tranny smokes on the hills on 400, and seriously do the arithmetic , its way cheaper than owning a vehicle. I pull a trailer sailor ALL the time, V6 f150 and the only reason I own the vehicle is my regatta schedule often means leaving 2pm Friday and coming home 11pm Sunday so picking up / dropping off the vehicle is a PITA. If I was pulling it to location X and dropping it for an extended period and retrieving I would rent the truck. Owing a fleet of vehicles comes second on the stupid scale to owning a fleet of boats.

if your going to pull a trailer sailor 6 ? times a yr. Budget/ Uhaul trucks will pull that . Its a near new truck, who cares if the tranny smokes on the hills on 400, and seriously do the arithmetic , its way cheaper than owning a vehicle. I pull a trailer sailor ALL the time, V6 f150 and the only reason I own the vehicle is my regatta schedule often means leaving 2pm Friday and coming home 11pm Sunday so picking up / dropping off the vehicle is a PITA. If I was pulling it to location X and dropping it for an extended period and retrieving I would rent the truck. Owing a fleet of vehicles comes second on the stupid scale to owning a fleet of boats.

I fear you're probably right. Also I have a buddy with the big show off truck who'd tow it anywhere in the near north for 500bucks plus he's good company. Of course you can barely truck a motorcycle to Barrie for $400. We'll see.

A lot of marinas also offer a park and play service. Leave your boat on the trailer at the marina, launch it when you want to use it. Considerably cheaper than dockage fees, and you only have to tow it in the marina yard to the launch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I visited a marina in florida that launched boats stored on site for you. Something like $50 up to 25ft, $125 over 25 ft (they used a gantry crane/sling setup for the big ones).

other consideration when towing a trailer boat, the going up and down the highway isnt that tough, its the dropping off the concrete at the end of the ramp and being 27th guy out on a steep and wet ramp. You need a certain vim and vigour to retrieve the barge.

I'm getting sea sick.

other consideration when towing a trailer boat, the going up and down the highway isnt that tough, its the dropping off the concrete at the end of the ramp and being 27th guy out on a steep and wet ramp. You need a certain vim and vigour to retrieve the barge.

Weight transfer with a front wheel drive car sucks on a wet ramp.

Weight transfer with a front wheel drive car sucks on a wet ramp.

I've had to use a boat to push a fwd vehicle up a wet ramp, I can't imagine any fwd vehicle being competent to pull a 4000lb sail boat up a wet ramp.

I've had to use a boat to push a fwd vehicle up a wet ramp, I can't imagine any fwd vehicle being competent to pull a 4000lb sail boat up a wet ramp.

I think I've watched that, is that the one where the boat launches over the trailer and takes out the back window of the car?

I towed a 3000lb shark with a deisel jetta, the hitch you can order from germany has twice the load limit of the NA version. at 28ft overall and 9 ft high with the mast on deck it was a package. I spent $1200 on the hitch and special wiring (low voltage tailights, thank you german engineers). We did it once.

Cheap? Only 3-4 times a year? Get a 3.8L Buick. I used to pull that weight with mine easily. Nice comfy, quiet reliable car too.

Back
Top Bottom