Reliably, Reasonably Price Tires? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Reliably, Reasonably Price Tires?

How'd you do that? I mean, I've got some ratchet ties I can tie the new rubbers down to the rear seat with. Then I can just hi tail it to toes who'll probably do it for $40... and maybe even give me a beer
Hiking pack. Stuffed the box into it (box was like 1 ft x 1 ft x 2 ft) the tires came already strapped together so I just used the compression straps on the bag to strap them to the outside. Really any bigger backpack with a few points to tie to would work. Or just a pair of longer straps to secure them to yourself, lol. I've done quite a bit of odd things either strapped to the bike or myself. Two carryons all the way to/from Ottawa, a full tower desktop PC, car battery, 2 12 packs, one 12 pack with a bunch of xbox games and controllers, bunch of pipes to build a set of table legs, huge grocery runs, etc. I only have pics of the PC and car battery.

The backpack gets the most use.

Why not just buy the tires from the shop? Have you called to even price them out or just assume all the dicking around is worth the $20 savings?

I went with the ContiAttack or ContiAttack 2 (can't recall which). Seem pretty good. If I recall Continental uses a continuously variable compound rather than just 2 or 3. Rode with a box full of parts and both tires to a shop. Not sure why just 2 tires is a problem.

Depends on the tire. The higher end sport tires use their "Black Chili" compound. To achieve the harder middle and softer edges they use a variable temperature vulcanization process - the middle of the tire gets much more heat than the edges do.

I thought some shops were refusing to install tires if you did not buy from them because they said " insurance issue" since they can't warranty the tires they did not sell.

I bought my last tire (PR4 rear) from Pete's Superbike. Checked Canada's Motorcycle and their price was close but a bit higher. Two Wheel wanted more than both. Rider's Choice (closest to my house) about the same as Two Wheel.
I install tires myself so I avoid the drama of who will or will not install tires bought online. However, anything more than $30-40 off vehicle for a pair is a rip off. Motorcycle tires are not hard to break down or put on. Taking the wheel off the bike is what is time consuming compared to a lug nut system a car has.

what setup do you use for removing the tires and installing?
what about balancing?

royal dist. has good prices and tire in stock/store, the above are good as well.

Speedworx in Markham always has good prices and you can get them installed there.

http://www.speedworxsuperbike.com/#!pilot-street-radial-shop/c1zzt

Pete's comparison:

http://www.petes-superbike.com/pilot-street-c-2234_1_5_5562.html

I'd rather not deal with shipping and bringing the tires and my bike to a shop to save a few bucks though.

I run pilot power 3's and I get them at pete's. No offense to speedworx but my 180 pp3 is the same price they charge for a 140 pilot street. Not many places can beat pete's pricing. The shipping from them is second to none and I too will be able to install/balance my own this year. Worth it to me in the end.

Be prepared for sticker shock with the dollar where it is. Getting tires now while old stock remains might be smart.

A Heidenau Scout that would have cost me $210 CDN last summer from RevZilla would be $250-260 Cdn now.
More if you use a credit card to buy in the US....add another $10.

what setup do you use for removing the tires and installing?
what about balancing?

I have access to a car tire mounter so that works for me very well. I usually don't balance the wheels. I was thinking about getting one of those small motorcycle wheel stand balancers for 50-60 bucks but so far I haven't experienced much vibration so I've been postponing the purchase.

I run pilot power 3's and I get them at pete's. No offense to speedworx but my 180 pp3 is the same price they charge for a 140 pilot street. Not many places can beat pete's pricing. The shipping from them is second to none and I too will be able to install/balance my own this year. Worth it to me in the end.

Yeah it's very rare that you'll find somewhere else matching Pete's prices in Canada, but for some people the convenience factor of going to a shop is worth the extra cost. I don't have access to tire mounting/balancing tools, so after shipping cost and renting a uhaul trailer to bring my bike to a shop the savings would be negligible. Although I guess I could ride to the shop while wearing the tires around my waist :lol:

I have access to a car tire mounter so that works for me very well. I usually don't balance the wheels. I was thinking about getting one of those small motorcycle wheel stand balancers for 50-60 bucks but so far I haven't experienced much vibration so I've been postponing the purchase.

You can balance tires on the bike, no need for special stands.

You would be better off comparing the same tire to get an accurate comparison.

Michelin PP3 180/55
Petes: PP3 is $151.95 plus shipping to the GTA is $16.52. total = $168.47
Speedworx : is $160 including OTSF (which is supposed to be paid on all tires being shipped to Ontario).

No waiting for delivery, no having to take the tires to an installer.
In most cases Speedworx is the lowest priced tire option for riders in the GTA.

Last edited:
Your pricing is good and I meant no offence but for me you're also almost a 3 hour round trip. I'll only add that the last two times I ordered from Petes were both on a weekend day and both times my tires arrived on the tuesday. If I lived in or closer to the gta I'd find local but unfortunately that's not an option where I am. The local shops here are outrageous for tire price in comparison to speedworx or petes.

Your pricing is good and I meant no offence but for me you're also almost a 3 hour round trip. I'll only add that the last two times I ordered from Petes were both on a weekend day and both times my tires arrived on the tuesday. If I lived in or closer to the gta I'd find local but unfortunately that's not an option where I am. The local shops here are outrageous for tire price in comparison to speedworx or petes.

No offence taken at all!
We just wanted to make sure there was no confusion about the pricing.
We are a great option for people living in the GTA, Pete's a great option if you aren't in the GTA and want tires mailed to install yourself.

Thanks for the compliment! :)

Last edited:
Just checked, Speedworx does have great prices. Almost the same as Pete's so without shipping they actually end up being cheaper ($9 on a PR4 front). I wish you guys were located on the west side of the GTA, for me, you are 2.5h round trip...
But that's just being selfish.

Last edited:
Just checked, Speedworx does have great prices. Almost the same as Pete's so without shipping they actually end up being cheaper ($9 on a PR4 front). I wish you guys were located on the west side of the GTA, for me, you are 2.5h round trip...
But that's just being selfish.

is a 2.5 hour round trip worth it in gas ? Or is it cheaper just to have it shipped to you from Petes ?

I just saved Speedworx for later. I'm glad this thread popped up, I would never have known about that shop otherwise.. and its soooo close to me.. :D

Back
Top Bottom