Android camping finder app? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Android camping finder app?

Motorcycle Mike

This coming summer I plan to do a number of weekend moto-camping trips, and am wondering what apps you guys use to find the camping sites?

I have an android phone, so iphone only apps will serve no purpose.

When I search in the play store, there are a ton of them, but from your experience, which one works best for finding cheap camping spots in both USA and Canada?

Are Allstays ($5.99) or Campfinder ($3.28) worth it? If not, what is better?

I would love to be able to filter out provincial parks too, as they are becoming too pricey. As a comparison, I looked up camping rates in Réserve faunique La Vérendrye and then looked on Airbnb in Val-d'Or. I was surprised to find that even a rustic camp site with few services in Réserve faunique La Vérendrye is $40.50, while a private room on Airbnb in Val-d'Or can be had for $60. For $40.50 I think I would rather just find a hidden spot just off the road and stealth camp for the night and take my chances being caught.

I love me airbnb, but the pickings are slim to none if you're looking to get out of the population-dense areas.

For airbnb, always ask ahead of time to see if you can borrow the garage. Nothing quite like riding 7 hours to Ottawa (long way around) in the rain with numb everything, and simply lying down on warm-ish concrete for 10 minutes while you wait to regain feeling!

Didn't answer any of your questions, :D

I love me airbnb, but the pickings are slim to none if you're looking to get out of the population-dense areas.

For airbnb, always ask ahead of time to see if you can borrow the garage. Nothing quite like riding 7 hours to Ottawa (long way around) in the rain with numb everything, and simply lying down on warm-ish concrete for 10 minutes while you wait to regain feeling!

Didn't answer any of your questions, :D

Maybe it's just me, but I have yet to find a decent deal on Airbnb. Spare bedroom for $70-80? No thanks.

Recently went to Philly, closest thing I would consider getting was around $220/night. Pricelined a historic 4 star hotel right in the middle of downtown for $140.

As for OP's question, a couple years back I loaded the gpx from here, http://www.uscampgrounds.info/statemaps.html onto my Garmin. Worked great for the couple times I used it.

Thanks for the link.

I also downloaded all of the camping POIs from POIfactory today, and so far it has been the most complete as I have been comparing the different camping apps to what google maps brings up.

The biggest issue is that the POI file doesn't indicate anything about price... and some campgrounds can be stupid expensive -- like up in Tobermory, $50 to pitch a tent.

I'm still considering the Allstays app, but I would like to see it first...

Thanks for the link.

I also downloaded all of the camping POIs from POIfactory today, and so far it has been the most complete as I have been comparing the different camping apps to what google maps brings up.

The biggest issue is that the POI file doesn't indicate anything about price... and some campgrounds can be stupid expensive -- like up in Tobermory, $50 to pitch a tent.

I'm still considering the Allstays app, but I would like to see it first...

In the link I posted, look for L$ under amenities, indicates a fee of <$12

Back
Top Bottom