Moto Guzzi or Ducati? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Moto Guzzi or Ducati?

Ramtin

Hey guys
So we're on the fence here....
Girlfriend is buying a new bike for this season (need one that can handle highway BADLY, time to say goodbye to the S40! lol)

She's into classics...

right now she's fixed on the Duc scrambler...

originally she wanted the Guzzi V7

I, however disagree. I prefer if she gets the Yamaha bolt so i can work on it and make it look cafe/classic-ISH!

i LOVE the Guzzi and the Duc but problem is we live in Canada... maintenance cost on both is higher than Japanese bikes...

i wanted to get your input... what do you think? do you think a Guzzi would be worse than a Ducati to maintain and buy parts for?

PLEASE if you are going to make a suggestion, DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING OLD or a CRUISER! she won't go for it, trust me on this one. just trust me!

by the choices i'm assuming you know the price range too... under 10k.

thanks guys!

Last edited:
if youre smart, you'll keep your mouth shut and let her get whatever she wants.

LMAO! good one. but i'm tryin to help her here. let's talk abut facts. if you've got something to say about my questions, please do so, otherwise i'd love it if you kept your mouth shut as well. :D we are planning on doing lots of touring. she is someone who'll put many miles on the bike.. we can't be stuck not being able to fix it cause we can't afford over-priced parts... so u've got somethin useful to say yet?

Great selection. Rationally the Ducati has better performance as it is a modern bike with abs, 50% more HP and a better dealer network. However the V7 is such a great bike with classic Italian style. It would be the emotional choice.

What makes you say the Italian bikes will cost more to maintain than Japanese bikes? My Ducati costs me no more to maintain than my Japanese bikes did. Can't comment on the Moto Guzzi. Even though the Griso is an overweight pig I love it's looks.

Page 1 of the what bike do you want today thread I chose Guzzi V7 Stone and it still holds true. I won't bother with an extended tirade about the Bolt and bikes of their ilk because looks like you're running a pretty tight ship here. Good luck.

see the Guzzi is the cheapest one here and i love the way it looks. most likely the most comfortable for longer rides too... but how many dealerships do we got close to Scarborough for major services? i'd be happy and SHE would be happy more importantly if we go with the V7.... give me some selling points... if you have experience with it please share i'd love to know more about it.

Last edited:
see the Guzzi is the cheapest one here and i love the way it looks. but how many dealerships do we got close to Scarborough for major services?

You should know that by now. I just don't see it being a piece of problematic garbage. It's a classy ride with a drive shaft.

You should know that by now. I just don't see it being a piece of problematic garbage. It's a classy ride with a drive shaft.
maybe I AM thinking too much about this serviceability and ****

Last edited:
but wait. why the hell is the MSRP of a 2015 V7 is 8690 and the Vaughn dealership sells their 2014 for 9600?

maybe I AM thinking too much about this serviceability and ****

I do the same and it influences the bikes I own, meaning I own simple to work on bikes. The Guzzi falls into that category. That might be missing the point tho because you won't be needing or wanting to tear into it any time soon. Could something break in June and not get repaired by the dealer thru a tragic comedy of errors 'til late September ruining an already short Canadian riding season? Anything is possible.

I do the same and it influences the bikes I own, meaning I own simple to work on bikes. The Guzzi falls into that category. That might be missing the point tho because you won't be needing or wanting to tear into it any time soon. Could something break in June and not get repaired by the dealer thru a tragic comedy of errors 'til late September ruining an already short Canadian riding season? Anything is possible.

oh yeah i mean **** happens! .. just really disappointed with the 1k difference between their Canadian MSRP and the Vaughan dealership!
Guelph seems to follow the MSRP though.

only thin i don't like about that bike is: what's the first thing that's gonna touch the ground when you fall? lol.... as much as i love the way it looks!

Last edited:
The guzzi v7 is nice but for slab riding its a bit underpowered and uncomfortable, sexy bike though. The scrambler with the 796 engine would be my choice, it has good torque. I have a monster 796 and it has given me 24000km trouble free all around and its sounds great.

The guzzi v7 is nice but for slab riding its a bit underpowered and uncomfortable, sexy bike though. The scrambler with the 796 engine would be my choice, it has good torque. I have a monster 796 and it has given me 24000km trouble free all around and its sounds great.

don't worry about power. she won't need more power. i know her... if that's your only concern! lol
actually for touring it will be much more comfortable than the scrambler... riding position is much easier on the knees on the guzzi

i do love the scrambler too though.

Last edited:
don't worry about power. she won't need more power. i know her... if that's your only concern! lol
actually for touring it will be much more comfortable than the scrambler... riding position is much easier on the knees on the guzzi

No its not really the power but the riding position as well, as I have stated. I believe the scrambler is more upright. Having to pass in 6th gear on the highway the extra power helps, having said that the 796 is not that crazy in terms of power.
In any case, she should test ride and sit on both and she will know which she likes better.
Either way she has good taste lol.

Sorry I guess im thinking of the v7 racer version.

Last edited:
Either way she has good taste lol.
oh i know!
i'd love to own a classic bike like that one day as well but eveytime i see naked bikes they put a smile on my face. same as adventure bikes. i'd go for the scrambler if it was me so i could do a bit of off-road with it. but i know she doesn't care about off-roading. we wanna go to the manufacturer show in feb but it's on the same day as outdoor adventure show. god damn it! we're crazy outdoors ppl so can't miss that show. maybe we can hit the road early on sat n see both shows in one day who knows!

wait do they let you sit on the bikes at the manufacturer's show?

but wait. why the hell is the MSRP of a 2015 V7 is 8690 and the Vaughn dealership sells their 2014 for 9600?

I had the exact same pricing difference 2 years ago. But it was the other way around.
At the time 2Wheel was way more than Corsa meccanica.
If you are interested in a Guzzi I'd suggest going in and have a chat, pricing maybe quite different than online.

oh man... i just realized the V7 has 22 litter tank!!! LOL wow! that might the selling point on its own right there! we do a lot of touring!

Ramtin, if you plan to ride together touring I'd try to match the bikes in range and passing ability.
My experience is that it can be a bit of an aggravation having a partner off pace. But that may be just me, kind of impatient.

oh man... i just realized the V7 has 22 litter tank!!!

A 22 litre plastic tank. Not sure if Guzzi solved the problem by now but the early V7 tanks (especially if painted black) would crumple inwards when the weather became hot. Has she considered the Triumph Bonneville?

Back
Top Bottom