Moto Guzzi or Ducati? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Moto Guzzi or Ducati?

The scrambler is the more capable bike.
But does she want it?

she really does love the Scrambler... if it was my bike, i'd go for the scrambler. a lot more power than any of the choices... does anyone know if they let you sit on the bikes at the manufacturer show in Feb?

she really does love the Scrambler... if it was my bike, i'd go for the scrambler. a lot more power than any of the choices... does anyone know if they let you sit on the bikes at the manufacturer show in Feb?

Pretty much the purpose of the show.
Only the top models special edition ducatis are roped off.

at 5o horse power i wouldn't be surprised if it was closet o max out at 140! lol
you brought some good points. in every video i saw, it vibrates quiet a bit at low RPMs!
and you could be right, i mean 1300 dollars difference, is it worth it? i don't know man i'm getting back on the fence again. THIS THREAD WAS SUPPOSE TO HELP ME! LOL
Your ER6N isn't much more than that and it'll do 200.

I've had my 125 over 150 for extended periods. Hard to do if there's a headwind or hills, though, lol.

Your ER6N isn't much more than that and it'll do 200.

I've had my 125 over 150 for extended periods. Hard to do if there's a headwind or hills, though, lol.

I LOVE my er6n :) lol

Wow that Scout is beautiful. And I don't even like cruisers. How much??

I think they are $10900 USD; not sure how that would translate to CDN pricing. I like that they went with liquid cooling and kept the weight down in the bike. It is not a power cruiser like a V-Rod but with 86 hp and all that torque it has some power to play with.

I can't speak to the Duc scrambler or Yamaha, but I can talk about the V7 (as I own one).
.. maintenance cost on both is higher than Japanese bikes... what do you think? do you think a Guzzi would be worse than a Ducati to maintain and buy parts for?
The Guzzi will be as expensive to buy parts as the Duc. "What's the total cost of ownership over the life of the motorcycle?" is the real question and that is very low for the Guzzi. The engine, frame and electrics are simple, solid and reliable. The V7 line has kept the same basic 750cc engine design and Tonti frame since it was first made in the 60's. Guzzi has added modern fuel injection, electronic ignition, and upgraded suspension to make the bike a good balance between the old world and the new. It has heaps and heaps of character that I don't think you'll find in the other choices you've mentioned. Styling is great and there are plenty of OEM and aftermarket accessories to change the look of the V7 to whatever you want.

People posted earlier about plastic tanks on the V7. Guzzi went with an all metal tank in 2013 after problems were encountered on the plastic tanks used between 2010 and 2013.

People posted earlier about lack of power for the highway. I disagree. The bike is no superbike for sure, with about 50BHP at the rear wheel, but the tall gearing and torquey engine makes the bike fine on the highway. The V7 is very light weight and flickable. That's a factor to consider if your GF is small in stature. She won't struggle to maneuver the bike under slow speeds.

Suspension components on the stock bike can be better. If your GF is small framed, then the V7 will feel fine for her. I'm 93kg and the suspension on my V7R feels like crap to me. This is a well known problem with the Marzocchi and Bitubo parts Guzzi fitted to the bike. They designed the suspension to perform well for lighter riders so heavier riders tend to bottom out the suspension and it can't be dialed out. There are aftermarket parts readily available that can vastly improve the ride. Check out this video to see what a properly kitted V7 is capable of:
[video=youtube;xd3iwOfSWAg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd3iwOfSWAg[/video]

The bike is dead simple to work on. If you want to experiment with the fueling, there are free programs available (Gizzidiag and Tunerpro) which will give you full access to the ECU to go to town modifying the engine performance. Guzzi OEM parts are available through dealers as well as online, and cost just a bit more than any Japanese OEM parts. However, out of stock OEM parts can take a very long time to arrive from across the ocean. The dealer network is slim so, if you go on long tours with the bike, you will have trouble finding dealers on your journey. You can't find a better motorcycle dealership than Corsa in Vaughan; they are highly customer oriented and that is always worth the price of admission for a new bike. The Internet community is also very helpful is solving problems and giving advice.

Last edited:
Corsa Meccanica has always been good to me.
And the OTD price was cheaper than the other dealer.

Haven't ridden a V7 myself.
I have ridden the California.
Definitely has character.
Rev the engine and the whole bike torques to the side like a muscle car. I was impressed for cruiser. The bike shifted well and actually had working brakes and did do a decent job of going around bends.
I've ridden HD and the new Indians, if I had a gut big enough to ride a cruiser I'd be looking at the Guzzi.

But seriously try to get a test ride on either bike prior to buying.

If I had a gut big enough to ride a cruiser I'd be looking at the Guzzi.

Don't worry. Odds are high that you will be there soon enough.

Hey guys
So we're on the fence here....
Girlfriend is buying a new bike for this season (need one that can handle highway BADLY, time to say goodbye to the S40! lol)

She's into classics...

right now she's fixed on the Duc scrambler...

originally she wanted the Guzzi V7

I, however disagree. I prefer if she gets the Yamaha bolt so i can work on it and make it look cafe/classic-ISH!

i LOVE the Guzzi and the Duc but problem is we live in Canada... maintenance cost on both is higher than Japanese bikes...

i wanted to get your input... what do you think? do you think a Guzzi would be worse than a Ducati to maintain and buy parts for?

PLEASE if you are going to make a suggestion, DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING OLD or a CRUISER! she won't go for it, trust me on this one. just trust me!

by the choices i'm assuming you know the price range too... under 10k.

thanks guys!
This might be an option:
http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/details.php?model=4559&group=MC&catId=2

However I have to admit I am biased. The maintenance is hard to argue.

If I had to choose between the Ducati and the Moto Guzzi, I'd pick the Duc every time, just a personal preference.

Don't worry. Odds are high that you will be there soon enough.

I'm working on it as fast as I can. It takes years of neglect. These things can't be rushed.
I'm already riding slow enough to get on a crusier.
Now if the current Gen Vmax would come down to something I could afford...

what are the downsides of a shaft drive

I was recently on tour in Europe on a Tiger Explorer. Part way thru the rear seal on the shaft drive started leaking. We made it back to the hotel, but by the time we were back it had stopped dripping. When they checked later, it had lost most of the oil in about 2 hours from the time we first discovered the leak. Not sure how far away I was from having it lock up. Fortunately we were with an organized tour, and they had a spare bike.

Regular chain maintenance on a tour may be a little annoying, but nothing like a major breakdown. That experience has me seriously thinking twice about a shaft drive on a touring machine. That and the weight & power loss.

I'm working on it as fast as I can. It takes years of neglect. These things can't be rushed.
I'm already riding slow enough to get on a crusier.
Now if the current Gen Vmax would come down to something I could afford...

LOL! Now I'm thinking you are a racer that runs marathons between events. Agreed about the Vmax.

okay well i'm BACK from my ban. got an infraction.. LMAO! this won't be the last time anyways might as well get used to it.. ANYWAYS!

so we've been talking... me and my girl, about this....

to be honest NOTHING will beat the Scrambler at that price... every option we looked at, didn't match the Ducati Scrambler..

we even looked at the Triumph Scrambler... the bike is 1K more expensive, 100 lbs heavier AND it has less horse power than the Duc !!!

i think she's gonna be getting better value for her money if she goes with the Duc. gonna go to the show though to have a look. she seems to be liking the Duc very much so anyways!

Triumph Scrambler is a turd compared to your other choices. Good call.

Better place a deposit on one ASAP or you'll be waiting all summer for it. As they say in the business "Money talks and bullsh*t walks"

okay well i'm BACK from my ban. got an infraction.. LMAO! this won't be the last time anyways might as well get used to it.. ANYWAYS!

so we've been talking... me and my girl, about this....

to be honest NOTHING will beat the Scrambler at that price... every option we looked at, didn't match the Ducati Scrambler..

we even looked at the Triumph Scrambler... the bike is 1K more expensive, 100 lbs heavier AND it has less horse power than the Duc !!!

i think she's gonna be getting better value for her money if she goes with the Duc. gonna go to the show though to have a look. she seems to be liking the Duc very much so anyways!

Better place a deposit on one ASAP or you'll be waiting all summer for it. As they say in the business "Money talks and bullsh*t walks"

really? waiting all summer? lol i don't think it's that bad... i was talkin' to one of the salesmen at GPBikes, and even he wasn't pushing me... they're accepting like refundable deposits right now. which is a very good option

I would expect the scramblers to be gone soon they are a hot seller, place a deposit if you want to get one by march you will probably not have a choice. The salesman wont push as he doesn't need to.

I would expect the scramblers to be gone soon they are a hot seller, place a deposit if you want to get one by march you will probably not have a choice. The salesman wont push as he doesn't need to.

going there this weekend and putting down a deposit. the girlfriend has decided. Scrambler it is!
i'm freakin excited! they're accepting a refundable $500 deposit. reason is nobody has seen the bike yet

wait is my girlfriend going to have a bigger bike than mine? LMAO!!!
good thing she will let me ride it when we tour together :)

Last edited:
Maybe she can learn this.

[video=youtube;AjxfAfpoB7A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjxfAfpoB7A#t=136[/video]

Maybe she can learn this.

[video=youtube;AjxfAfpoB7A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjxfAfpoB7A#t=136[/video]

lmao i JUST watched this ha! i personally would recommend no clutch wheelie for beginners. but whatever lol

Back
Top Bottom