Ram 1500 Eco Diesel Review | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ram 1500 Eco Diesel Review

Recently ordered a truck as well, '15 GMC 1500. Crew, 4wd, 5.3 v8. I went with the 3.08 rear gear, which should really pay dividends on the highway.
Guys seem to be averaging 20+ mpg, even with shorter gearing. The cylinder deactivation makes a big difference. Wont be towing more than once or twice a year, so that's not a concern. Not really a truck guy but the gm seemed like the best value. $5000 for the diesel plus more expensive fuel, I'd never earn that back.

^ That one has the new Gen 5 direct-injection engine, too. I think you will like it.

Taking delivery on Saturday, can't wait.
GM did a good job updating their drivetrains. The new V6 makes almost as much power as the old (agricultural) V8. They also brought out an 8spd, but it's only available on the 6.2L at the moment.

I have never seen Ford paint an aluminum product correctly most commonly their hoods. I'm scared to see what happens when they do a whole vehicle...

I don't see any problems with the paint on my hood. What kind of imperfections are you noticing?

I have no real knowledge of Dodge trucks but the RAM is my 2nd favourite in terms of styling. The Ram Rebel on the other hand... ewww

I don't see any problems with the paint on my hood. What kind of imperfections are you noticing?

I have no real knowledge of Dodge trucks but the RAM is my 2nd favourite in terms of styling. The Ram Rebel on the other hand... ewww

This is just one article : http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/business/Ford-Owners-Upset-About-Bad-Paint-Jobs-130218428.html

But there are thousands of these out there. Every person I know with a ford with an aluminum body panel has had paint issues. The fact they make the whole truck out of it now just makes me weary of trusting them. The hood comment was from direct experience with a Ford Lightning hood that had been replaced under a TSB twice. Both times it corroded right through within 2 years.

Google "Ford Paint Defects" for more results. Every auto manufacturer has it's issues at one time or another but Ford seems to have this issue every time the paint aluminum and the vehicle is in the salt belt.

This is just one article : http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/business/Ford-Owners-Upset-About-Bad-Paint-Jobs-130218428.html

But there are thousands of these out there. Every person I know with a ford with an aluminum body panel has had paint issues. The fact they make the whole truck out of it now just makes me weary of trusting them. The hood comment was from direct experience with a Ford Lightning hood that had been replaced under a TSB twice. Both times it corroded right through within 2 years.

Google "Ford Paint Defects" for more results. Every auto manufacturer has it's issues at one time or another but Ford seems to have this issue every time the paint aluminum and the vehicle is in the salt belt.

I guess time will tell as my truck is still fairly new. I did notice a tiny paint chip on the hood near the windshield not long after I bought it. I figured it was a stone chip and just dabbed it with touch-up paint. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks

Taking delivery on Saturday, can't wait.
GM did a good job updating their drivetrains. The new V6 makes almost as much power as the old (agricultural) V8. They also brought out an 8spd, but it's only available on the 6.2L at the moment.
I bought an new Sierra in the summer with the 6 cylinder to replace my 5.3 canyon, so far I am getting 11Lhkm in mixed driving and love the truck. I also tow up to 6000lbs with it semi regularly and have no issues with the power of the 6, thought about the 8 but after driving both the 6 seemed like a better deal for me. The interior is also really nice and super quiet best truck I have owned so far.

I bought an new Sierra in the summer with the 6 cylinder to replace my 5.3 canyon, so far I am getting 11Lhkm in mixed driving and love the truck. I also tow up to 6000lbs with it semi regularly and have no issues with the power of the 6, thought about the 8 but after driving both the 6 seemed like a better deal for me. The interior is also really nice and super quiet best truck I have owned so far.
Glad to hear you're enjoying it. I figured with the crew, 4x4, and 6.5 box, the V8 would be a better bet. I didn't actually test drive the V6, maybe I should have.
The newest truck I'd driven was an '05 chev, so I was surprised by how quiet this one was.

...11Lhkm in mixed driving...

Damn that's good... I get 15 - 16 L/100 km with mixed driving and 18 - 20 doing city alone. I've also got a 6 cyl (EcoBoost) pulling a crew cab and 5.5' box. Thank god this is a winter "beater".

Damn that's good... I get 15 - 16 L/100 km with mixed driving and 18 - 20 doing city alone. I've also got a 6 cyl (EcoBoost) pulling a crew cab and 5.5' box. Thank god this is a winter "beater".

My 05 Sierra (Z71 5.3L, crew cab) gets 12.5L/100km highway and about 16.5L/100km city. Whats wrong with your ecoboost? lol

Last time I did a fuel consumption calculation on any of our Sierras at work they were all in the 20L/100km range and that was mostly highway, barely loaded. Like 2 people and some luggage.

COmpany truck...meaning your employees beat the **** out of the trucks they don't pay to repair or fuel.

A 1981 Sierra with a carbed 454???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol had an 88 Chev 3500 2WD SRW with a big block and 3spd auto. Lucky to get 350km to a tank unloaded and it was a big tank. Thing would pull a dump truck though.

They're all 05+. Under 100k on them. They are fairly well maintained. I was surprised it was so high but then again, that's only double what most of my cars' average is (10L/100km) so I didn't think it was that bad. I'll admit I haven't run the numbers on the newer ones so they might be better.

I don't see what paying for fuel has to do with anything.

GM also tells us the 05 is too old to get parts for so they charged us $200 to glue our window switch back to the door and it fell off when I drove it next, which was for a 1 minute drive to the next building.

Last edited:
My dash display shows 10-13L/100km in my 2011 2500 diesel when in reality it's 15-18L/100km. I've never hand calculated, I don't care enough to bother.

My dash display shows 10-13L/100km in my 2011 2500 diesel when in reality it's 15-18L/100km. I've never hand calculated, I don't care enough to bother.

There ya go. Considering a diesel should use almost half the fuel of a gasser, my claims are not far off.

Diesel... Half????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well not quite but they should be significantly better. I know it's a completely different vehicle but my diesel Jetta used less than half the fuel of my gas Jetta (it was about 60% more efficient) of the same year and I drove the diesel much harder.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom