Electrical connections help | GTAMotorcycle.com

Electrical connections help

gammaguy21

My experience is mostly with Yamaha and Suzuki wire harnesses. I've just recently started to work on my Honda and have come across these connections that I'm having a difficult time separating. I've searched and couldn't find anything.

The harness is old and not sure how brittle it is, but I have a habit of muscling / forcing things and breaking them without realizing just how much force I'm using. I'd like to avoid that.

Would really appreciate any advice in separating these connections.

20150127_025250_zpsnvf24a6o.jpg

20150127_025300_zpsiahft101.jpg

In the second pic you can see a small tab, that needs to be lifted before the plugs can be separated.

thanks dricked.

I tried that with no joy. There seems to be locking tabs on the top and bottom as well (added another pic).
No release lever for these either - guessing push release?
Seems like I need three hands to do this?

dd3b1e81-02bd-40ac-a84c-63c7ac9fd24f_zpssryd8rfv.jpg

Normally I would say remove it from the bracket as that is also part of the puzzle believe it our not but I can see you have already done that.

press / pull on all the tabs. should be easy to seperate.

Then the connector is jammed up with crud. Those are just to make sure that you put the connector back the right way. Try using a pair of pliers to hold the short connector side so your not pulling on the wires.

Thanks guys!
I'll try again tonight with the suggestions above... maybe with a bit more force. Fingers crossed :silent:

Thanks guys!
I'll try again tonight with the suggestions above... maybe with a bit more force. Fingers crossed :silent:

Fiddleguy has got it right, lots of times its a press, but on that connector its a pull up and separate the connection

Looks corroded though, so you might need to wiggle a little bit while your pulling the tab up and the connector apart.

Thanks for the help guys! Managed to get it separated.
The lift mechanism to release the tab wasn't really working... from the looks of the way the lock section is deformed, it has been a source of frustration in the past.

Those are just to make sure that you put the connector back the right way.

After knowing that, I was able to use a small screwdriver to push the main lock tab under and then pushed at the top & bottom tabs with the small screwdriver. Looks like a weatherproof connection as the rubber seal is what was making it difficult to pull out.

Cheers guys.

20150128_001304_zps7suofio4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom