Mandatory retirement | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mandatory retirement

So I'm curious, are you for or against age discrimination? (see your bolded, and apparently conflicting wording)

Not all seniors are dinosaurs so as long as they contribute to the company. I see no reason to pasture them. A blend of young and old can be a blend of experience and new ideas. The doorstops I refer to haven't updated their qualifications and don't don't have a life outside of work.

The problem is the ones that have so many years of seniority that it costs a ton to can them. You can dismiss a person without cause but it costs a bundle.

Another side effect of over protective labour laws is the trend to contracts. The employee doesn't get fired he just doesn't get renewed.

I often see retired VIP's as members of boards of directors where they make mountains out of molehills because they have nothing else to do.

The movie "About Schmidt" is kind of creepy true for some.

perhaps the old guy is tired because he built it for you to have a job today
just saying, you don't know what he went through
maybe he saved some senior exec's rear and they owe him
just sayin'
Our biggest problem in here is supervisors and the plant manager do nothing about nothing. The inmates run this asylum. Some of us set a good example while others do unspeakable things to the pooch over in the corner. Things will change once the ceo figures it out. He's been gunning to fire the plant manager for a while.

The 68yr old is simply training you kids how it's done later in life.
You'll be him, A LOT sooner than you think.
GL.
I'll never be that bad. Everyone likes to have a break for sure but he's beyond pushing it. Thanks to some of the old farts like him and some of the noobs who think they can act the same, this place is actually going downhill so bad I'll be impressed if it's here in 5 more years. I really don't care who does what except for myself until it comes to their actions having a negative impact on my workplace. The attitude in here for some is "I've been here 30 years I can slack now" that's got to go

Just because they've been there longest doesn't make them the best or even good at their job. Cockroaches can survive nuclear blasts. Doesn't mean they're awesome.

All one needs is a bad boss backed up by their manager.

This. We have a guy at my work who's about to be 68 who literally does absolutely nothing all shift and yet makes the same money as the rest of us. It infuriates the employees because we have to pick up his slack but my "plant manager" is a spineless ***** and sticks to the excuse of age discrimination. He could easily transfer him to an area that he wouldn't like and thus he'd go but instead he comes in for free money every day.

Funny you should say that....I've got a **** load of 20yr olds that are lazy as ****. Lazy is as lazy does it has no age limit.

Funny you should say that....I've got a **** load of 20yr olds that are lazy as ****. Lazy is as lazy does it has no age limit.

Yup seen a lot of those around!

Now I'm in my mid thirties now and frankly....I think the new crop of fresh grads is the most entitled bunch I've yet seen. Don't want to do any work (don't want to generalize too much as I've seen awesome ones) and feel like everything is owed to them because they decided to show up that day. Can't stand it.

As for retirement. I think it's great that the older generation can continue working if they're capable, however it really does screw up the up and comers because there's just less jobs due to retirement which makes it more difficult for the new generation (myself included).

I don't think there's a right answer, but I also don't believe that the gov't should mandate that you should or shouldn't have to retire. Comes down to whether the person is physically and mentally able to do the job properly and that the company sets it's own policy on the matter.

The 68yr old is simply training you kids how it's done later in life.
You'll be him, A LOT sooner than you think.
GL.
Are you talking about yourself??

We have a couple new ones like that too. They have a few old examples and follow in their footsteps while the rest of us pick up the slack. Frustrating is putting it lightly.

Let companies create their own policy and keep gov't meddling out of the private sector.

If things were done this way then many businesses would just relieve themselves of older employees, a year or two before they should start collecting a pension. Hell, it still happens now, though there are laws against it.

This.

If they're a productive worker, doesn't matter if they're 18 or 68.

And if you're an unproductive worker, or just coasting and expecting everyone else to do your job for you, you should be out the door no matter what your age. I've seen both the young employees who feel that the world owes them money for doing nothing, and the older workers who don't give a damn. Occasionally someone started as the first and just grew old, naturally becoming the second.

Yup seen a lot of those around!

....I think the new crop of fresh grads is the most entitled bunch I've yet seen. Don't want to do any work (don't want to generalize too much as I've seen awesome ones) and feel like everything is owed to them because they decided to show up that day. Can't stand it.

Remember the McDonald's commercial line "You deserve a break today."

Why?

What magnificent thing did the individual do that entitled them to a break?

Oh yeah, and the reward is a cheap burger.

Can the bar be set lower without digging a ditch?

Back
Top Bottom