whole-food, plant-based diet? | GTAMotorcycle.com

whole-food, plant-based diet?

Riceburner

I love my meat based diet, but the doctors always say to cut down on red meats, salt, processed foods, etc. Seems to make sense. We feed cattle, chicken, etc. grains and such to eat them for protein, etc. Why not skip the middle step and get it direct? I won't cut out Coke and burgers and fries but increasing more whole foods couldn't hurt.

Found this... http://www.forksoverknives.com/ and saw the movie. I take most things with a grain of salt...no pun intended as I'm supposed to cut that down too...but it does makes some sense. There is some evidence that with the rise of western style foods, there was a rise in heart disease, etc. in the far east, that had less meat intake before the rise in western foods.

Last edited:
All about balance. It has to be a lifestyle choice to change how you fuel your body, otherwise you go back to your old ways.

I love my meat based diet, but the doctors always say to cut down on red meats, salt, processed foods, etc. Seems to make sense. We feed cattle, chicken, etc. grains and such to eat them for protein, etc. Why not skip the middle step and get it direct? I won't cut out Coke and burgers and fries but increasing more whole foods couldn't hurt.

Found this... http://www.forksoverknives.com/ and saw the movie. I take most things with a grain of salt...no pun intended as I'm supposed to cut that down too...but it does makes some sense. There is some evidence that with the rise of western style foods, there was a rise in heart disease, etc. in the far east, that had less meat intake before the rise in western foods.
What i think we should adhere to :

- try to eat as much REAL food as possible (real vs processed, go for real)
- try to not overdo (or demonize) one specific food group
- avoid eating until you're bloated (ie if you're full at restaurant and there's a dessert, skip it!?)
- don't be a ****** about all the previous points with people around you
- keep active

And yeah, its always good to increase your greens, but they won't fully replace the fats you get from meats.

Doctors, scientists, and nutritionalists have been demonizing eggs and animal fats for decades. A proper study has recently absolved them.

the problem with the western diet are processed foods containing trans fats and refined sugar, esp. fructose from corn syrup.

Last edited:
just cut out McDonalds, and obesity levels would drop like a rock......

Definitely agree with you on that one! That **** is nasty

bc36d9ddb928471519247c3e533e2c74.jpg

Last edited:
Careful if you're going to move way down the food chain like that.

I've never been obese or even fat but about 12 months ago I started going to strength and conditioning sessions twice a week and cut out my daily can of Coke. I lost 15 lbs and have way more energy then I have ever had before. I still occasionally have a Coke with a burger or a quick meal but I'm amazed what I would consider one thing did.

Never at any point in human history have people known less about what they're eating. I admit that I used to be among the majority, my diet was not great. Lots of processed food, lots of frozen stuff, lots of junk.

Now my diet is almost entirely whole foods, I eat almost nothing that has been processed, and I buy organic or local whenever I can.

Cooking really isn't that hard... people who say eating fresh and healthy foods is too expensive are just lazy.

Half the "scientists" say to cut out carbs. The other half say to cut out protein. Doing both doesn't leave much left. If you then exclude every food that some scientist somewhere has ever said something bad about, you will not be eating or drinking anything, and you won't make it two weeks.

Just eat normal and decent stuff, and minimize the junk and the artificial stuff, and you'll probably make it 80 years or so.

Not all "processed foods" are bad and not everything labelled "organic" is automatically good.

people do not typically get fat or obese from eating real proper food
true story, I once asked a coworker how can vegetarians be fat/obese
he said there is no meat in cakes

It's really easy to kid yourself about food. We shovel a lot of garbage down the gullet without realizing it. I take my fruits and vegetables in powder form. Progressive PhytoBerry and VegeGreens.

soylent green

I'm amazed at what some people eat.

We eat somthing take out once a week and it's usually pizza, sushi, a burger from a local place that uses real ground beef, and rarely have Thai.

Guys that complain about cooking need to get married :)

steady diet of my daughters goldfish crackers keeps me humming, just tried the Pizza flavor for the first time, damn good!

I'm amazed at what some people eat.

We eat somthing take out once a week and it's usually pizza, sushi, a burger from a local place that uses real ground beef, and rarely have Thai.

Guys that complain about cooking need to get married :)

Now I cook for my wife, I used to cook for my girlfriend.

Half the "scientists" say to cut out carbs. The other half say to cut out protein. Doing both doesn't leave much left. If you then exclude every food that some scientist somewhere has ever said something bad about, you will not be eating or drinking anything, and you won't make it two weeks.

Just eat normal and decent stuff, and minimize the junk and the artificial stuff, and you'll probably make it 80 years or so.

Not all "processed foods" are bad and not everything labelled "organic" is automatically good.

I found that the key for me was to eliminate bread and pasta. I don't have any type of gluten sensitivity but doing that one simple thing made it easier for me to get my diet and weight under control. I don't think that carbs are necessarily the enemy but excess carbs definitely is bad. What does the average person eat in a day?

Breakfast:
Bagel with cream cheese and a coffee

Lunch:
Deli sandwich and some cookies.

Dinner:
Lasagna with some cake for dessert.

Sound reasonable? One of the big pitfalls with a diet like this is that it leads to excess carbs. Lots and lots and lots of carbs. Carbs are fine if they're in moderate amounts but people have no idea what they're eating. Most people don't even look at the nutrition info on their food let alone pay attention to their serving sizes! Ever looked at what one serving of cereal actually is???

Last edited:
If there's a list of ingredients chances are it's not healthy.

I like the "paleo" diet. Makes the most sense to me.

My cousins faced similar issues to you a few years ago in US. They cut down on everything processed and went on an organic lifestyle. They swear by it. They feel better and get sick less. They only eat out at full organic restaurants. A lot of places advertise things like organic burger but the meat might be organic only, but everything is processed or has chemicals.

Go organic and you'll fine.

Organic is the new gluten free.

I wonder what's next...

Back
Top Bottom